Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

Which weapon against which demon is the most fun?

Pistol - For weakened zombies and imps
Shotgun - Zombies, Imps.
SSG - Groups of Zombies and/or imps. Every other demon.
Chaingun - Arachnotrons
Rocket Launcher - Caco's, Arachnotrons, groups of lost souls
Berserk Fist - Zombies, Imps, Demons.

scifista42 said:

It's possible in vanilla/PrBoom-plus too, although less likely and might require the spider to be in a specific position relative to the map's blockmap grid, so that you could "run into him" up to a closer distance than his radius would normally allow. In other words, you have to exploit the very same bug that normally makes him unlikely/impossible to be 1-shot-killed in vanilla, in order to 1-shot-kill him in vanilla.

does this apply to different complevels? i have one-shot spiderdemons plenty of times, although i play mostly cl9 wads.

My goto weapon when dealing with Stinky Pinky is the Shotgun. I sometimes use the Chainsaw, but I risk losing health, since he's biting me and throwing my view off.

joe-ilya said:

Punching everything.

This. goes against weaklings (rip and tear!) And against bigger foes as well, I particularly like punching barons because tgey're hardly worth the ammo if there's space for dodging, and I just like dancing around them like a hero vs a bumbling thug.

Also everything ridiculously overpowered, like a BFG blast into a group of doddering zombies.

rehelekretep said:

does this apply to different complevels? i have one-shot spiderdemons plenty of times, although i play mostly cl9 wads.

You may check the oldest posts in the Rare Kills thread.

SSG against everything.

Also, mowing down a horde of zombies with the chaingun.

SSG point-blank on a pinky. I know I'm wasting ammo when I do it, I could use berserk fists, or the chainsaw, but it's just one of the most satisfying kills.

For me, Plasma Rifle VS Everything

Sadly, it's use gets limited once you pick up the BFG

Chainsaw against demons, it's pretty much the only enemy where you can use the chainsaw without getting damaged and the chainsaw it's fun to use.

For everything else the BFG for the pure satisfaction of killing everything on screen

DMPhobos said:

Chainsaw against demons, it's pretty much the only enemy where you can use the chainsaw without getting damaged and the chainsaw it's fun to use.

Unless you count the Pain Elemental since being up close prevents its attack from working.

MetroidJunkie said:

Unless you count the Pain Elemental since being up close prevents its attack from working.

Well you can kill it without getting damaged, but you can sometimes get harmed from the lost souls that appear when it dies

• Fist: mostly with demons and spectres, fewer times with pain elemental and lost souls (only once with a baron).
  • Chainsaw: same way with the four above, also with cacodemons and shootable things.
  • Pistol: only in the first level until I get another weapon, sometimes against zombiemen, mainly used with switches, fake walls, etc.
  • Shotgun: against hitscanners, imps, demons/spectres, not so close cacodemons and revenants, on top pillar mid-level enemies, barely with the baron in UD. Rarely used against archviles, only if they are behind bars and I'm able to kill one
  • Super Shotgun: with chaingunners and any mid-high level enemies if they are closely enough not to waste shells. 
  • Chaingun: hitscanners, especially the chaingunner, imps, cacodemons, pain elementals, lost souls, sometimes hell knights and revenants.
  • Rocket Launcher: anything providing serious danger from top pillars or high alcoves. Commonly with barons, revenants, cacos, aracnothrons, mancubus. I don't opt to use it with bosses (well, except the IoS) because of their splash damage invulnerability, but if I have no choice... 
  • Plasma Rifle: with cyberdemons, spiderdemons, barons, mancubus, aracnothrons, and others too. Especially with close revenants, because u know, homing rockets...  I don't really use it quite often (almost never in UD), whenever I have 600 cells and tons of ammo around the map I just use it for fun. 
  • BFG 9000: archviles in general situations, sudden mid-high monsters, ambushes where no infighting can ocure,  bosses IF I can dodge their shots. Need more practice with this beauty

Now regarding to your question... my favourites are the ssg with the archvile and the chaingun with it's former owner 

On 12/23/2016 at 1:20 PM, DMPhobos said:

Well you can kill it without getting damaged, but you can sometimes get harmed from the lost souls that appear when it dies

It telegraphs its death animation, you can back off before the Lost Souls pop out.

Perfectly sniping a horde of imps a 1000 map units away by tapping the chaingun. There's something undeniably awesome about being so damn efficient with your bullets.

No misses, no waste, just perfect long range warfare.

Berserk > Everything but Manucbi, Arachnotron and the high-tier.

Chainsaw > Cacos, PE, Demons, Imps, Lost Souls and sometimes Revies.

Pistol > Nothing.

Shotgun > Imps, Former Humans, Shotgun Guys, Chaingun Guys. Anything that would probably die in one shot because it makes the Shotgun feels powerful.

Chaingun > Cacos, PE, Revies, Arachnotrons, Mancubi. Anything with a high pain chance because stun-lock is hilarious.

SSG > Mid-tier. 'Nuff said.

RL > Crowd control, sometimes AVs.

PR > The Panic button, electric Chainsaw. Fun against everything. 

BFG9000 > Hordes, High-tier to ram it up their asses for 1-2 shot kill.

I love using the single shotgun against everything (if you couldn't guess by the name). My favourite scenarios for the single shotgun are the following:

1) I have an imp in front of me (or a bunch), I rush half of the distance to reaching him and I FIRE!!! And what happens next is a sweet sweet headshot animation. Some may say: <<I can get no satisfaction>>. I disagree. Giving me imps and a shotgun equals self-completion for me.

2) Shotgun sniping someone on a higher platform or a long distance away (mostly hitscanners).

Additionally I use the SSG on Pain Elementals, Barons and Hell knights to get rid of them quickly and efficiently.

Also, I like to rush to an Arch-vile's face and melt his insides with my 40 cell BFG shot, before he even starts his firing animation.

Last but not least, the rocket launcher is what I end up saving the most ammo for and I generally use it when I am screwed (desperate measures in desperate times). But I am rewarded with high damage and explosions, so, in the end, it pays off. 

On 10/25/2016 at 8:32 AM, Voros said:

SG on all of them.
cause its so satisfying

FTFY

Plasma : Cybers and masterminds.

Rocket Launcher : Everything unless the room has tiny space. Replace with zerk if available.

Everything else either skip or kill with ssg (small areas).

Most boring :

* Any room with enough tanky shit that the only way to beat it is spamming the bfg.

* Anything balanced around holding m1 while using the bfg.

* Maps that force you to fight revs with the pistol.

* Fuck fighting barons and hell knights with the normal shotgun.

* Fuck fighting viles with chaingun and\or normal shotgun.

* Anything involving centaurs oh wait..