Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russell_P

ZDoom - use second sky image?

I've noticed in WA that ZDoom has a sector type called "use second sky image". Does this mean you can have two diferrent skies in seperate parts of your map? I've searched the ZDoom forums for info on this but found nothing. I've also tried experimenting with it but have achieved nothing. Can somebody explain to me what this sector type is for and how it is used.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is patient enough to help.

You can have two sky textures for sure, they can be uses seperately or overlap each other and move like clouds in skies, if you use lightning feature, the second sky is used when the lightning strikes.

Also you can have unlimited sky views within a single level by using skyboxes like unreal.

Yup Sphagne is quite correct about the sky 2 effects. If you want to see a couple of examples I threw together a week or two ago, you can Download these files:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/redsky.zip

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/Qsky.zip

Tripod can be a little fussy, but the files are there so keep trying if you don't get them straight away.

There are no levels in the files, just sky mods.

redsky shows how to use lightning. A redsky is shown normally, but when the lighning flashes, all outside areas flash brighter, a thunder sound is played and the sky changes briefly to a second picture with lighning strikes drawn on it. Just find an area in MAP01 where you can see the sky and wait for a while.

Qsky shows the Quake style see through clouds scrolling across another sky effect. Just find an area in MAP01 where you can see the sky and... um look at it :-)

Both the above effects are achieved (at least in part) by having a sky1 and sky2 specified in MAPINFO. I know that wasn't actually the sky2 question being asked, but it is related and may be useful.

We've already implemented the dual skies scenario with moving clouds and stars in Daedalus: Alien Defense. Not released yet tho...:)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Cadman said:

We've already implemented the dual skies scenario with moving clouds and stars in Daedalus: Alien Defense. Not released yet tho...:)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Really looking forward to it....

magikal said:

Really looking forward to it....

Lets just hope that it doesn't turn turn out to be the Daikatana of Doom ;)

NiGHTMARE said:

Lets just hope that it doesn't turn turn out to be the Daikatana of Doom ;)

Yes indeed....I did play through the first hub when it was known as Doom 2000...;)

Cadman said:

Now if only Randy would get his act together and release ZDooM v2.0 :)

magikal said:

Yes indeed....I did play through the first hub when it was known as Doom 2000...;)

As did I - and I enjoyed it. I have to confess that is further than I got with Daikatana. Although I understand it gets much better later on, the big problem is very few people stuck with it long enough to find out. The demo turned me off. Hmmm, maybe I'll try and pick up a copy one day. It must be bargain bin price by now.

That Hub 1 we released some time ago was actually very buggy and it looks and plays much better now. The scripting is much stronger now and many other things have changed as well. We have all 4 hubs completed and we are now in the testing phase as I speak. Randy has been working with Ty Halderman on some things with ZDoom and it's really starting to look and feel good. I'm certain you guys will like it, it's just about there! Hang in there! Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Enjay said:

As did I - and I enjoyed it. I have to confess that is further than I got with Daikatana. Although I understand it gets much better later on, the big problem is very few people stuck with it long enough to find out. The demo turned me off. Hmmm, maybe I'll try and pick up a copy one day. It must be bargain bin price by now.

Hey Enjay, same as me...I just bought Daikatana a coupla weeks ago and am trying to get into it, the demo having put me right off for a coupla years. I paid £4. I'm struggling but I'm up to level 3...I hope it gets better, gawd ;)