Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mauzki

Sugestions/thoughts on my new wad?

I opened the map in GZDB.

Give the outdoor area natural geometry, instead of using rock walls that completely flat and situated at 90-degree angles from one another. Add a few more outdoor areas. Modify some indoor wall shapes a bit; all you have are boxes. Remove some doors, you use them between every single room but one. Open transitions are your friends. Try to use D1 Stay Open doors instead of open/close doors unless you have a good reason not to -- having to open and reopen doors messes with flow. Change the HKs in the first area to something that would be less boring to fight with a single shotgun.

Promising start. Here's what I noticed

• DOORTRAK textures on the door into the blue key room are not set to lower unpegged
  • ^ Also one of the ones on the door leading out of the starting room
  • The toxic floor pit in the starting room is set to damage level end instead of just damage
  • All the pits are inescapable
  • A couple minor texture allignment issues, most noticable was the gray brick in the secret room
  • HOM (I think thats what that's called?) issues on the ceiling texture of the "door" of some of the Mancubus traps
  • Rooms don't all need to be squares. Slight angles are fun :)

rdwpa said:

I opened the map in GZDB.

Give the outdoor area natural geometry, instead of using rock walls that completely flat and situated at 90-degree angles from one another. Add a few more outdoor areas. Modify some indoor wall shapes a bit; all you have are boxes. Remove some doors, you use them between every single room but one. Open transitions are your friends. Try to use D1 Stay Open doors instead of open/close doors unless you have a good reason not to -- having to open and reopen doors messes with flow. Change the HKs in the first area to something that would be less boring to fight with a single shotgun.

Thank you, I will get to work on removing some of the doors when I boot back into windows, okay I will see what will work better in the first trap. And yes I am quite guilty with my geometry, could you give my an idea how natural geometry would look in doom builder? Thanks again :)

LordShadowZ said:

Promising start. Here's what I noticed

• DOORTRAK textures on the door into the blue key room are not set to lower unpegged
  • ^ Also one of the ones on the door leading out of the starting room
  • The toxic floor pit in the starting room is set to damage level end instead of just damage
  • All the pits are inescapable
  • A couple minor texture allignment issues, most noticable was the gray brick in the secret room
  • HOM (I think thats what that's called?) issues on the ceiling texture of the "door" of some of the Mancubus traps
  • Rooms don't all need to be squares. Slight angles are fun :)

Haha, of I do feel like a twit for doing that I will get to work on fixing those issues, the pits where kinda done on purpose, but I see your point. Will get to work on it!

Voros said:

Which slot is the map in? You should've mentioned that.

Map01, I'll go add that to the post.

Maps in the map01 slot never need to be noted; it's always assumed MAP01 or E1M1 based on what iWad is used, unless stated otherwise. The Doom 2 iWad under MAP01 is literally the most common placement of standalone maps.

Important pieces of info:
Title
Screenies
Where to find
Format (what port is needed)
-complevel (only if needed)
IWad needed (only if different than Doom 2)
Map# (only if different than 1)

Speaking of which, you should likely mention the format.

Fonze said:

Maps in the map01 slot never need to be noted; it's always assumed MAP01 or E1M1 based on what iWad is used, unless stated otherwise. The Doom 2 iWad under MAP01 is literally the most common placement of standalone maps.

Important pieces of info:
Title
Screenies
Where to find
Format (what port is needed)
-complevel (only if needed)
IWad needed (only if different than Doom 2)
Map# (only if different than 1)

Speaking of which, you should likely mention the format.

Thanks I just added the format.

I was curious about this, so I opened it up in D-Touch's Choco port; no problems opening it on my end.

First off I just want to say what I saw of this map was nice for a beginner and shows good promise for later wads. I didn't have time to run through the whole thing, mostly due to constant deaths as a result of using this virtual touchpad, running around like a drunk duffer, but from what I did see I do have a few suggestions.

- First and foremost, when you texture things try to present them as full 3D-looking objects, rather than walls/floors/ceilings with wallpaper plastered on them. Take the first screenie you posted: it's not exactly clear in the picture, but that's an open door. What's its flat? Rocks. That's not good texturing, unless there's some sort of buffer in-between to make tie them together in a coherent way. Many doors suffer from this. Another example is the block/pillars in front of the spawn (btw, definitely do something about those pits; I fell in them many times, though that's on me), those pillars have marble on the main sides, but step around to the back and bam; stone. Not 3D. I'm not the type to get all uppity about texturing; that everything should make logical sense to the story to be there, but I think it can be universally agreed that most texture/flat changes require a buffer.

- General architecture was bland and basic; from what I saw of the layout, it was as well. Play some of the other vanilla pWads out today to see small, but highly effective ways to further yourself along on that end. Little things like adding some trim or depth, to the ceiling. Also, just like with using texture buffers, instead of just, say, putting in a support texture in-between two different textures, make a support beam. Have it stick out of the wall and give something extra to the room. Then, why not make it go somewhere? Have it go to the ceiling, then put in a horizontal beam doing something up there. It looks lonely? Give it some friends and the room gains character. Of course for vanilla you have to keep it simple, but simple doesn't mean basic.

- Height variation. Granted, I didn't make it all the way through, but from what I saw there wasn't much of it going on. Mostly enter room and shoot things, tbh, aside from the occasional trap. Try working more on interconnecting your layouts, which will also help to add some height variation to the maps, such as entering an area in the lower segment, then I leave for a sec and come back and now I'm on a path above where I was before. You can also have little areas and paths accessible within the area that are raised and lowered to provide more height variation as well. Finally, putting in platforms for snipers can round off an area if it needs just a tid bit more pressure from another angle. On the note of layouts: try giving areas multiple ways to approach, in addition to having some more optional areas to explore.

- Lighting can go a long way to make simple, effective architecture really stand out, especially when the texturing is also on-point.

- The HKs at the beginning were just begging to be skipped; so I did. They were absolutely no threat, even with me on this terrible touchscreen, on which I am dreadful; ghastly.

- The manc trap was potentially interesting, but the stairs there were terrible. That trap would be better as an arena, rather than a small area atop a large, straight staircase.

Fights in general could use more pressure from different angles.

This was nice though, so hopefully none of that came across as harsh. Always good to see more vanilla maps roll in. Good luck to you!

Ah, I forgot to mention that I did instinctively delete the space in between the words of the wad's file name, as many programs will not recognize spaces within file names. Underscores are the acceptable route.