Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csabo

New(?) trick: cogwheel

Reading about all those tricks inspired me to do something of my own. I've made a turning cogwheel on the floor by using sectors that are slices of a circle, plus the Sector_SetRotation special. I haven't seen this effect yet. Is anyone interested in seeing it?

Thanks for the compliment, I really don't know what to say. You will definitely take that back if you actually download the level. Okay, here's a confession: I haven't done a single doom level in my life. (not motivated enough). I just like hacking away with things, and working on XWE.

Also about the trick: for the Sector_SetRotation to work, I had to put the center of the cogwheel to coordinates (0,0). This is what ZDoom seems to be rotating around. If the center of the wheel is not there, the rotation looks bad. Maybe there is yet another special to change what the rotation's center should be.

Good wad, why not continue making wads for ZDoom? ZDoom is full of eye catching features. ;)

By the way, I like XWE and used it a lot to extract textures ;-))
but I could not do it here:

http://www.rumramruf.com/Golgotha/

could you add it to your supported formats and make XWE even a better program?

Wow, that's really effective. Very smooth. Very believable. It could benefit from silencing the sectors (as is being discussed in another thread) but that is perfectly possible for anyone that wanted to use this idea in an actual level.

Hmmm, any thoughts as to how it could be made so you are actually moved when you stand on the cog? That's the only bit of unbelievability there. I've got a couple of ideas, but I haven't tried them yet.

Anyway, really nice looking and clever little example wad.

Edit:

Just so you know, I thought this was worth mentioning on the Zdoom forum too so it's in this thread:

http://notgod.com/phorum/read.php?f=12&i=4211&t=4211

You are right about the noise. I read that thread too and realized that my Raise/Lower calls make sounds as well. So definitely that could be improved. Another disadvantage: when enemies are killed, the blood stays on the walls - at the wrong place. If the player/enemies would turn with the wheel, that would really be cool.

So there is much room for improvement... I was hoping someone would be inspired by it and use it.

Csabo said:

Another disadvantage: when enemies are killed, the blood stays on the walls - at the wrong place.

Yeah, I noticed the bullet decals kind of spoiling the effect too. If you scroll the walls (only really suitable for the outer circumferance, not the inner edges of the spokes) decals would not show up as decals do not appear on scrolling walls. It might take a bit of tweaking to get the scroll speed right.

Or perhaps an animation could be defined for the cog walls. It wouldn't even have to be an animation that looked particularly animated. The reason I suggest this is that by default, animated walls in Zdoom do not allow decals, and you have to specify in your animation definition if you want it to take decals. So that would be another way of stopping decals on the cog walls.

Last month Fen Boi sent me a wad with something quite similar to this, only it was done in Boom using the old doom.exe instant raise/lower trick and Boom's conveyor belts. But this is clearly a somewhat more effective way of doing it :)

Well. I made the first Rotating sector fan a couple of years ago. I've lately revised it and perfected it. It's in 3057 :)

If you want a pure visual trick, do not use raising / lowering sectors but Boom's flat transfer trigger. By changing the sector properties (not tagged / tagged) you can turn the flat transfer on and off. That action is silent, and instantly.

There was a thread about this a few weeks back, I remember.