Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

Newgothic Movement 2 - Public Beta

Hey there Doomworld, it's been a long time coming, and would likely have fallen into the depths of the void without Archi prodding me along and contributing several maps. But we have rallied together and put together 17 maps, 1-16 and a map31, for a second movement of the Newgothic piece. While we have had lots of help with feedback from select testers, now we need the community to find bugs and uh, help with difficulty settings, and any feedback provided will be appreciated. Demos, twitch streams, youtube videos, anything you'd like to post, is welcome. Especially map names, though please limit suggestions to specific maps and, if possible, edit your post to include any more name suggestions so we have it in one place.

Here is the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?jmsfrxfbjwx91g1

Now get ready for some great slaughter gameplay and get dooming!

Screenshots without the hordes of mobs: http://imgur.com/a/dTxvt

E: Map16's midi doesn't like certain formats, I think portmidi or sdl works, so change it for that map.

E: V2 Changelog here https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1689343

DOWNLOAD V2 HERE https://www.mediafire.com/?5f23a27r00gd78x

Really liked the first one, so downloaded this straight away. Awesome how you've included some AW music in here.

I enjoyed the first new gothic movement, this wad seem to be even harder than the first. On map02 it took me 1/2 hour to get out of the first hallway alive - a real sadistic map. The monster counts in some of the later maps is insane, a lot of tears are going to be shed on these maps, I can't wait for some replays to start rolling in.

I'm trying to play this in ZDaemon, but am getting "map error: bad or missing NODES lump: You need to build the nodes before playing this map!"

Any ideas?

One of the guys who works on ZDaemon rebuilt the nodes in the .wad for me. SSECTORS and one other, I can't remember the name. He said ZDaemon needs nodes built. Anyway I'm going to play through this. It looks good. Map31 might be an issue though. There seems to be parts where you can call through the floor, not sure if that is intended.

You probably can't play it in ZDaemon because that map is other the limits and requires extended nodes.

Ok, that's a pity. I was going to try give this a whirl at multiplayer survival.

You can still use zandro instead of zdaemon, I can't even see the reason to use zdaemon for multiplayer other than being hipster.

seems to be some sort of issue in map16 with little floor circles housing candles which seem to be flagged as impassable lines.. in the circular area with the spiral on the floor.. Not sure if that is intentional but it makes that fight kinda difficult

Edit: ignore me.. its all working as intended haha

Really nice set of maps here. Two observations with prboom, cl9:

- On map16 the spawned monsters tend to get stuck inside of each other on the teleporter platforms they rez on and subsequently the central room never really fills up.
- On map31, The cacodemons that teleport in on the right side of the blue key fight appear to be blocked in somehow. As a result only only one can teleport in at any given time and they don't do anything.

Oh and the lack of a shotgun placement on map11 can make the big circle of death lethal when the shotgunners are introduced to the mix midway through because of forced weapon switching. It's sufficiently hectic and spammy enough to make navigating around without occidentally walking over a shotgun very, very difficult.

koren said:

Oh and the lack of a shotgun placement on map11 can make the big circle of death lethal when the shotgunners are introduced to the mix midway through because of forced weapon switching. It's sufficiently hectic and spammy enough to make navigating around without occidentally walking over a shotgun very, very difficult.

There should be a shotgunner on a small platform before that, but yeah there should just be a shotgun there instead. It's ... really weird to just throw it in so late though.

map16, there are options to get it to be more consistent ... but it involves moving the spawn destination outside the map to a closet, and I didn't want that. Or I could make the scroll faster, it looks weird, well weirder.

31, I'll have to look at that.

9 levels so far, awesome!

The only complaint is it's not that hard and too much ammo. I died much more in SunLust.

Also, do you accept voluntary donations somewhere?

Thanks for these maps AB! I had a great time getting through MAP01. I haven't cracked the code for MAP02 yet though.

Yeah this wad is the stuff. Played a few maps, died a few times. Got some sick cyber kills. Got stuck in a spider den in one map when I wizzed ahead of the pack. That was cool - terrifying when the plasma cells kept running out. :)

I don't see extended nodes support coming to ZDaemon too soon so it would be great to see the bigger maps get curbed down to the standard nodes limit in a seperate wad for us 'hipsters' to enjoy, for the time being.

So it slipped my mind, map16's midi doesn't like fluidsynth I think? So change the midi playback to sdl or portmidi. Sorry but it's been a problem for a while and I can't figure it out.