Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Some edits of some Shogo and SiN textures, plus a few edits from public domain pictures and stuff (don't ask me which is which for the unmarked, I've long forgot). Of course, go right ahead and feel free to use them for all non-commercial works of yours. If you do earn a penny out of those, I'll do my best to turn you into a distilled twinkie, so don't do it.

(pretty sure this is from Shogo)
(original)
(original)
(original)
(SiN, edited to have pustules)
(public domain painting, edited to be more spoopy)

scifista42 said:

^ Now this is the proper way of adding lights to the bottom parts of textures, in contrast to the ones in the previous posts, where the lights kept their dark brown borders from BIGBRIK even though the new texture's main color was entirely different.

sooorreeeeeeeee

Just to clarify, are the folks here okay with other people using the textures they (the folks) posted here in their (the people's) own works?
Confusing sentence, but I hope you'll get it.

edit: just so that I don't sound like a parasite:

16-wide SUPPORT3, with the borders and stuff

yellow LITEBLU1, this was a pain in the ass to make TBH; damn you Doom palette!

especially for Dragonfly, a FLAT23 that he can use! :]

Also, I've made one sky texture from Ancient Aliens usable in vanilla, thx skillsaw:

Spoiler

(this is just the edges of the previous 2 pasted around.)

How it looks in-game:

Dragonfly said:

Dude, nice!
Can't wait to play it once you're done...

Working on remaking most of the Doom 2 textures for use in Doom 1. Uses textures & flats from Doom 1, DHTP, Freedoom, KDiZD, and Jimmy's texture .wad as a base. A few Freedoom textures are completely unmodified from the originals, so full credits to the original authors for those.

NiGHTMARE said:

Working on remaking most of the Doom 2 textures for use in Doom 1. Uses textures & flats from Doom 1, DHTP, Freedoom, KDiZD, and Jimmy's texture .wad as a base. A few Freedoom textures are completely unmodified from the originals, so full credits to the original authors for those.

http://i.imgur.com/VBP5VNA.png

I wish I could texture that good. I might try and make another few iwad edits today.

Can someone resize and pallete adjust the new Doom 2016 textures that came with the new update? I think they have potential for classic mapping. Here are a few examples.

Various "different" liquids lifted from Romero's 1993 asset dump.

The stock blood and nukage have a fourth frame here!

Each row = different animation (from other rows), each column = frame of a given row's animation.

bzzrak said:

especially for Dragonfly, a FLAT23 that he can use! :]

<3

I'm really liking some of the texture variations I'm seeing in here recently! :D

I really like this thread. I'm slowly trying to finish up a map I started in 2000 that has a lot of custom textures, but needs some work. (I posted about it in the WIP WAD thread here). In particular I'd like to replace BIGBRIK2 with something that has a bit more depth, it's quite flat. I need to make variations of most of the new textures in the map for borders, edges, flats, etc., and also make the most prominent texture there tile better. I found an old backup CD which I *think* has the texture sources (probably as Paint Shop Pro files, hehe). I also need to find a decent texture editor for this stuff. I'm on a Mac and there's surprisingly a shortage of good editors. I'm not buying Photoshop. I might try Wally via WINE.

"Improved" liquid flats. These were recreated using a layering technique approximate to the way id did it.

The stock NUKAGE flats are FWATER laid over the alpha NUKAGE flat as I discussed here. My method here was close as I could muster, although I think I managed to get a more pleasing result. The animation now has four frames and no unsightly black blob in the first frame. (I realise simply using the flats provided above and recoloring the black to dark green would wield a pretty much identical result to these but eh, I wanted to toy around and see if I could make these "from scratch", as it were.)

In a similar vein, the stock SLIME05-08 flats are SLIME01-04 laid over the unusual "rocky" brown liquid flats seen in my post above. The problem with these is clearly that they are not a consistent brown color, making SLIME05-08 appear to change shade during its animation in a way that always jarred me. Also, the underlays for some reason do not tile, even though they're constructed from the same flat transposed north-west 16 pixels. Very frustrating.

I recolored FLAT5_8 using SLADE, exported it, and laid it underneath transparent overlays of SLIME05-08 to make these.

Here's the flat I used for the underlay.

This is pretty awesome stuff Jimmy. I especially like the non-bricked brick textures you've extracted. That leaves a lot of room for innovation. You would have been a huge asset a year and a half ago when I was working on the Mutiny resource pack :)

What's your method for getting the brick creases out of the textures anyway? It would be cool to see what the Plutonia bricks look like without it.

Really lovely stuff, Jimmy + NiGHTMARE! I'd love to see a proper compilation of these useful edits sometime in the future.

Since folks are curious, here's my process. I did this with Plutonia's A-BRICK1.

De-brickifyng brick textures, a texture-editing tutorial by Jimothy Padlock

Cut out all brick indentation by so it is all transparent - get as much as you can, even the parts that are only slightly darker - you don't want any unsightly contours, horizontal or vertical, to appear on the texture. This edit you make now will be the most important one, so keep it on hand.

Next, copy this edit to a new layer and lay it underneath the original, offsetting it as necessary to cover as much transparency as possible. Make sure the texture on top is in its original position, for most accurate results.

I had to copy to another layer and fill in the extra transparency by offsetting it horizonally as well as vertically. Don't worry if this result looks "mosaic-y", it will do, and this'll get cleaned up in the ensuing steps.

Having a tool in your editor that can "scatter" pixels without changing any colors will be very useful, such as Paint.NET's "Jitter" function. Here I've jittered the pixels just slightly.

Next you'll want to merge all the layers together into one, then copy that flattened layer to a new one underneath a copy of the edit seen in the first image here (you'll either need to undo to get it back, or have it saved in an invisible layer/separate file prior). This is starting to look pretty neat!

I've also added some slight blur to a duplicate of the top layer, then laid it underneath, to soften up the edges of the "bricks".

Now I'm using a soft and small brush to touch it up a bit. Use the eyedropper to grab colors from the actual image for best results. Cool, looks great so far, are we done yet...?

Nope. Transpose the entire image half its length and width in any direction, like so - oops! We need to make it tile.

Transposing the graphic like this is vital, as it can even show you brick contours that you might have missed, as I certainly did here.

Clean it up some more. Again, this is just a case of using a soft and small brush on the unsightly contours.

Once you've ironed out the last of the contours, continue doing cleanup as you were in step 6 but from the new perspective of the transposed image.

This whole thing takes some patience but I was able to do this in probably under half an hour. Last things to remember are to transpose the image back to its original position, and of course palettize it to the Doom palette. Voilà!

EDIT: One for the road: A-BRICK.

Jimmy said:

template <- Make your own!

You are fully to blame for this:

Perhaps less uselessly:

Yo I heard you like bricks, so...

Surprisingly enough, it looks better than I expected. Also in the looking better than expected, wooden bricks:

Silver bricks:

It is pretty fun!

Nice textures, antares031! They look pretty good in red, yellow, and green, too:

EDIT: Alternative versions of the monitor textures:

NiGHTMARE said:

Nice textures, antares031! They look pretty good in red, yellow, and green, too:

Thanks! :) In fact, I also made some variations of those textures for my levels. And yes, they look pretty good in other colors. There's no doubt that my favorite textures are the blue ones, though.

Spoiler

antares031 said:

Thanks! :) In fact, I also made some variations of those textures for my levels. And yes, they look pretty good in other colors. There's no doubt that my favorite textures are the blue ones, though.

Off topic here, but the hands fpr the new weapons seem out of place from the vanilla hands, unless if you plan on replacing those weapons.