Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Vinesauce Mapping Contest

Okay, this stream had its hilarious moment too.

I'm still in a dream, SNAAAAAAKE EATEEEER!

hardcore_gamer said:

I can't help but feel they did it on purpose so they could hog as much screen time as possible.

He hasn't played my map yet, but I swear that wasn't my intention - I genuinely tried my best to make something memorable with plenty of replay value within vanilla limits. Hopefully he likes it and it doesn't steal too much screen time..

Doomkid said:

He hasn't played my map yet, but I swear that wasn't my intention - I genuinely tried my best to make something memorable with plenty of replay value within vanilla limits. Hopefully he likes it and it doesn't steal too much screen time..

Fair enough. I am not saying that every last single person who made a long wad was only doing it for attention. I am just saying, when you know Joel has lots of different wads to go through, it feels a bit scumy to make something that takes like an hour to go through. I hold less of a grudge if the map is very well made though.

Honestly hardcore_gamer that is an irrelevant point. Nobody knew while making their maps that there was such a huge amount of submissions. If you went by the only sources of information while making the maps, you'd have guessed about 20 - 30 people were entering, not 150.

Not only that, but a long, sprawling and impressive map only adds to it's value:
- The mappers were heavily limited on time
- The main objective of the competition was "Make a memorable map" - it becomes easier to remember if you spend longer playing it.

On the contrary, I'm actually annoyed that my map is as short as it is, but hopefully it leaves enough of an impression on Joel and the viewers.

Dragonfly said:

- The main objective of the competition was "Make a memorable map" - it becomes easier to remember if you spend longer playing it.

You can make anything memorable if you make it long enough. That doesn't imply it's automatically good. Pizza quest wasn't that long, and I remember that one the most because it was funny.

hardcore_gamer said:

You can make anything memorable if you make it long enough. That doesn't imply it's automatically good. Pizza quest wasn't that long, and I remember that one the most because it was funny.

You invalidated your own point :D

Solarn said:

You know what? I hope someone has sent Joel a slaughtermap. Not even a proper, Sunder/Deus Vult-style grand slaughter, just a small scale, Ribbiks-style "closed in with a squad of tough monsters" map. Pitted Hell from this batch was already close, but it was just a partial map with basically one area.

My map is a bite-sized slaughter map on UV, and HMP is meant to be ezmode slaughter. Joel seems to only play on HMP. Should be pretty interesting. He spent an hour on a godawful empty backtracking switch hunt, so he better not IDDQD through my map after like 15 minutes if he dies a lot. >:(

Benjogami said:

My map is a bite-sized slaughter map on UV, and HMP is meant to be ezmode slaughter. Joel seems to only play on HMP. Should be pretty interesting. He spent an hour on a godawful empty backtracking switch hunt, so he better not IDDQD through my map after like 15 minutes if he dies a lot. >:(

Looking forward to it, if for nothing else then playing it when Joel makes all the contest maps available at the end.

Indeed, seems like there's absolutely no priority placed on the Doom streams whatsoever. Equally concerning is that the Vinesauce forums have been down for weeks now.

Dragonfly said:

Indeed, seems like there's absolutely no priority placed on the Doom streams whatsoever. Equally concerning is that the Vinesauce forums have been down for weeks now.

You guys do realize that his last Doom stream was like 6 HOURS LONG.

Give the guy some break eh?

He's also still recovering from flu so...

Jus' wait it out guys, he'll be back eventually. In the meantime just make more maps :D

You guys complaining about the lack of doom streams remind me of members who whine to the devs about unreleased content/bugs on WoW private realm forums. Playing all of those wads is a pretty huge time sink and I guarantee he's burned out for the moment (especially after the blood room map dear god) and needs to direct his attention on something else. Remember slow and steady wins the race. My 2 cents.

Løst said:

Remember slow and steady wins the race. My 2 cents.

Yah, I don't mind. I actually haven't finished watching the 2nd part, because the monstrous 6hr block scares me. I'd rather see shorter (and perhaps more frequent) streams, heh.

Shorter streams would be better not only because he wouldn't get tired out, but because he'd probably be able to 'take in' each map a bit more. I know from personal experience that if I play a megawad too many hours in a row I remember the last map I played less fondly because I reached the burn out stage.

He is finally back after being sick, and he's going to do horror games for the whole next week but no (as far as I know) Doom stream. Ok, I admit that I am getting annoyed at this point.

hardcore_gamer said:

He is finally back after being sick, and he's going to do horror games for the whole next week but no (as far as I know) Doom stream. Ok, I admit that I am getting annoyed at this point.

I've noticed before that Joel streams whatever the heck he likes, and he has like 10 different playthroughs in various states of completion that he says he'll get to someday. I never had a stake in it before because he's an entertaining streamer no matter what he's playing, and there's plenty of other shit to watch, but now that I do have a stake in it... it's pretty frustrating. :P

In the end we're just ~150 people and he's got more viewers than that to appease, on top of whatever it is he feels like doing. I'll never begrudge a streamer for doing what they want to do, since that's the only way to make it work. If he grumbled his way through the Doom contest out of obligation, that'd be much worse for everyone.

I've come to terms with the fact that this contest won't be over til like, almost Christmas or even early 2017 at this rate, but we'll see. As I said before, huge 4-6 hour Doom sessions could leave one burned out potentially giving all maps played in the latter half of said session an unfair slant against them. I'm hoping for more regular batches of 2 hour streams!

Doomkid said:

I've come to terms with the fact that this contest won't be over til like, almost Christmas or even early 2017 at this rate, but we'll see. As I said before, huge 4-6 hour Doom sessions could leave one burned out potentially giving all maps played in the latter half of said session an unfair slant against them. I'm hoping for more regular batches of 2 hour streams!

After a year of streaming, will the first or last wads be at the disadvantage? After all, the first wads would likely be forgotten, and that's not to mention if his skill improves/diminishes as he plays (given how long this will seem to last).

I guess all you can hope for is that he keeps really good notes, but I'll tell you this: at this point I'm glad I didn't submit anything to this contest.

Yeah I called it. This thing was a mess from the very beginning.

I certainly don't regret entering, because I like the map I made. This just seems to be evidence pointing toward "release it soon" if nothing else. ;)

Xaser said:

I certainly don't regret entering, because I like the map I made. This just seems to be evidence pointing toward "release it soon" if nothing else. ;)

That is a good point... Speaking of, looking forward to that release ;D

And you people wanted to be reasonable. There's something called work ethics. You don't treat your fans like this. This is also definitely not how you run a competition. I understand he was sick but still, the guy is too random. He's probably going to pick an undeserving map anyways.

Yeah, I noticed he's been doing a lot of streams again the last few days, but of random games.. Dude, you have a contest to judge, 150+ entrants waiting eagerly to hear the judgement, what's with all the random games? It's friggin' Halloween, there's not a more perfect time to play some more Doom stuff! Sorry for whinging but waiting another 2-3 months seems like a drag. Obviously I haven't come to terms with it after all lol

Memfis said:

Maybe Doom doesn't get enough views?

It got a similar amount of views as many of this other game streams. His game streams generally don't get huge numbers of views. His fullcut general also isn't his main youtube channel.

Memfis said:

Maybe Doom doesn't get enough views?

Hmm boring donkey kong games or old ass horror games which you can just watch from youtube to see people play, or the grandfather of fps? Choice isn't too hard...

A doom stream is currently up, about 2h in as of this post. So expect some new levels up soon I guess.

Edit: Youtube link is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XONOwnvJq0

Also at the risk of sounding like a fanboy I'd reason he had this 7 day horror series planned well in advance, there was a flow to it after all and it didn't feel all that random. Doomkid you'll be happy to know this one is just over 2 hours long.

Enjoyed your map benjogami :), I tuned in right before he started playing it. Gotta catch up on the rest tomorrow evening.