Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

What if...? take 2 (read the post first!)

Which would have been the best?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which would have been the best?

• Another Wolfenstein game
    • An Aliens game
    • A 3D Keen game
    • A first person RPG of some sort
    • A Lovecraftian game
    • Doom according to the Doom bible
    • Bah, they\'d all have been crap, so who cares?

Since a poorly worded poll option ruined the last version, I decided to start again :)

A purely hypothetical question: if ID had made one of the projects that they were considering doing/it was rumoured they were doing instead of the original Doom (note: yes, that's the original Doom, not Doom 3! =p), which one would you have preffered to see (bearing in mind they'd probably still have a similar engine)?

IMPORTANT: The poll is not intended to find out if you wished any of the options had been made instead of the Doom we all know and love. It's intended to find out which one of the options you have like to have been made more than the other options.

Aliens, most certainly.

It would've had pretty much the same effect anyway. Adrian/Kevin's style is very reminiscent of Giger's.

Go Bible!

Aliens could be a 3rd choice (see below)... but the Bible idea could have been interesting. Aliens would have been unoriginal, in the sense that id would have been having to stick to a predefined thing. Adapting the monsters from a movie to a game isn't easy and often leads to poor results. Not to mention having to bear Fox's copyrights... and we know Fox is a bitch. Remember how they annoyed Fisher, and the way they dumped Giger. In retrospect the id team made a good choice staying clear of Aliens. DOOM, and the DOOM Bible take freely from many sources without concern, just by the designers' taste and judgement.

Maybe a "lovecraftian" game would have been a slightly better option than Aliens, though it is not clear what this means. At least it leaves more options open. The rest.. no.

(Looks like I didn't stay clear of it, but by chance may have, had I not been drawn by the imperfect one first.)

Doom bible.

BTW, some features from the bible were implemented in Rise of the Triad (Tom Hall being the link, of course). And having a guy who "Dies At Conclusion Of The Episode" was implemented in Voyager Elite Force (and doubtless others).

Doom Bible.

Not aliens because doing any remotely decent-looking Giger architecture then was not possible, and because Hellspawn are far more evil and cooler than aliens. I wouldn't give any of the other options a second thought.

This time around I voted for an Aliens game.

Like I said in the previous version of this poll, the Doom Bible was way too cheesy.

Ridiculous story line aspects (a demon General? Wtf?), stupid weapons for the most part, the ability to pick up AND use demon weapons (the very thought fills me with disgust - it is bad enough with that unmaker thingy in Doom64).
And this is to mention the few aspect that I clearly remember disliking, but there may be other.

I'm darn grateful that the Doom Bible was never followed.

RailGunner said:

There are aliens games.

We're talking about a game ID were considering making instead of Doom. Around that time, there was only one other Aliens game (afaik anyway), and that was for the ZX Spectrum!

I voted for another Wolfenstein game, since the concept was awesome but the engine pulled it down some... Wolfenstein on a Doom engine would have really rocked. (Yeah I know about WolfenDoom. But it could have been even better if the engine was specially made for a Wolf game.)

I really like the idea of a 3D Commander Keen game, so keep that as a close second. Main reason I chose Wolf instead is because Keen was more childish. (Then again, that's part of Keen's charm, so...)

dsm said:

the ability to pick up AND use demon weapons (the very thought fills me with disgust - it is bad enough with that unmaker thingy in Doom64).

If you were to fight in a realistic Hell, there would be NO source of ammo for human weapons. You would need to use the demons' own weapons.

P.S. The unmaker came from the DOOM Bible and was originally intended to actually be an effective weapon.

Woolie Wool said:

If you were to fight in a realistic Hell, there would be NO source of ammo for human weapons. You would need to use the demons' own weapons.

P.S. The unmaker came from the DOOM Bible and was originally intended to actually be an effective weapon.

Well, duh, and you suppose that letting a human effectively use a weapon that is designed completely different from any human weapon is more realistic?

In real life there is NO way that you could even handle another human weapon if you weren't already trained in the use of it. You'd have to be familiar with its behaviour, be accustomed to its sights and know exactly how reloading procedures and all that crap work.
Imagine that you picked up an organic weapon with no trigger and seemingly no buttons - how would you know how to use the damn thing?

And as already indicated by my above post, I don't give a damn about that friggin' Doom Bible - it's great that id barely followed it, because it contained some rather silly ideas imho.

And as for the source of ammo thing: You oughta read my fanfic stories - I've provided a possible explanation to why there is ammo in Hell in some of the chapters of that story.

I wish they were able to make some of the levels described in the Doom Bible. The descriptions were very intersting, especially for the colonies. The Hellish levels described in the Doom Bible sounded basically the same, although there were some stuff not possible back in the days. Hmm, did that sound funny?

NiGHTMARE said:

We're talking about a game ID were considering making instead of Doom. Around that time, there was only one other Aliens game (afaik anyway), and that was for the ZX Spectrum!

There were two on the C64 released around about the time the movie was released - one followed the plot of the movie pretty closely, had several different styles of play (pilot the dropship, 45-degree-angle down view inside Hadley's Hope, and those were only the first two "levels"); the other was viewed from a first person perspective, the only forward and backward movement you could do was walk through doors but you had full 360 degree turning abilities (no look up and down though :P). Both were quite good IMO. See if you can find them for a C64 emulator and check em out.