Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

If

If OpenGL and Direct3D had been available back in '93, and the id team had time to implement mouse-look and jumping, what kind of a game would Doom have turned out to be? As far as fun and stuff goes, how do you think it would have changed?

Not really fodders.. more like legacy or jdoom.

DooMBoy, the answers you'll get are quite predictable, people who like those features will say "great" people who don't "quake." No point asking the obvious.

Well, if they did have those things, would they have made Quake? Probably not. If so, it'd probably be something along the lines of Quake2/3 technology...bleh. This topic is weird, you can't really predict what would have happened unless you have a time machine I could borrow.

maybe they might have mixed all the ports together? lighting effects from Jdoom, sloping sectors from Zdoom and to be honest I don't really know what legacy offers but maybe bits from that aswell, thinking about it, that would have been like Quake but with doom monsters! shit, oh well!

So the only differences between Doom and Quake are that in Doom you can't look up and down or jump? Err, right. Okay.

i think the ground work for openGL began in 1992. however it was nothing like we know of today. also the technology was nothing like it is now

NiGHTMARE said:

So the only differences between Doom and Quake are that in Doom you can't look up and down or jump? Err, right. Okay.

DOOM-Pseudo real everything with toy gun pictures. Dark, spooky, cool.

Quake-3D real everything with toy gun models. Dark, spooky, cant see a damn thing.

Any questions?