Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RonLivingston

I'am looking into some ideas for an egyptain themed map

- Egypt + Nazi Germany thematic mix-up, lots of use of Wolf textures and SS Nazis.
- Egytian sandbox city, no pyramids or trademark structures in sight, but imposing buildings of your own imagining.
- A map like "Precarious" from Sunder but with all Egypt textures, liberal use of pain elementals.
- The Shores of Egypt -- a typical Egypt map full of corrupt hellish influences. No lava or blood.
- Egypt + '80s glam mash-up, bg midi "Walk Like an Egyptian", liberal use of pain elementals.

How about the first half of Epic 2?

Or if you're looking for an official IWAD reference, MAP31: Pharaoh from TNT should work too.

You ever play Powerslave/Exhumed for the Saturn/PlayStation? Granted, it's got something of a Metroid bent to it with finding upgrades to let you access new areas in levels you'd already cleared to open up new levels entirely, but the geometry is pretty Doom-ish (in terms of simplicity, anyway; it does have proper 3D geometry, so it's not literally Doom-like), so it might give you some ideas.

In fact, Epic 2 wound up using a lot of the game's texture set, so you might want to look at that, too, to see how they work in a Doom context.

Scythe 2 for simple, action oriented maps and Epic 2 for the more puzzle/exploration based ones. Avoid AV Map20, those folks are just joshing you.

Pillars, secret doors, and lots of traps.

I also suggest checking out the MORTRES texture pack.

Plutonia series are herbivore egypt, just make everything yellow, brown and red and you've got yourself an egyptian map.

It's not Doom but play through or watch a longplay of Serious Sam TFE. You could get some sweet ideas from that game's design.

The natural way how to get ideas for an Egyptian themed map seems to be to look up pictures, descriptions or ground plans of real ancient Egyptian architecture. So, Google image search and Wikipedia for a start, other sites if needed to look deeper.

The soon to release Episode 1 of Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony has some sweet Egyptian & desert themed maps. I believe that's going to be released within the next two weeks, so I'd keep an eye out for that!

Dragonfly said:

The soon to release Episode 1 of Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony has some sweet Egyptian & desert themed maps.

In Tunisia.

I'm never going to stop poking fun at that BTW.

This reminds me of Karnak Temple. The author had some book about Egypt, so he just looked at the pics and made a map based on that. It's kind of neat and it's not on /idgames btw so most people probably missed it.

Heres a screenshot of the egyptain themed level that I'm already making now

I will post some ingame screenshots soon however, it is still going to need more progress

Try and take some inspiration from not only doom Wads but other Egyptian themed games! Like powerslave and Serious Sam.

2 minutes ago, MrD!zone said:

Try and take some inspiration from not only doom Wads but other Egyptian themed games! Like powerslave and Serious Sam.

lol im not even sure the author is even caring about this thread anymore,just kinda posted here for something like a "cool doom Egyptian/desert themed map" thread :P