Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrimCuttle

Flat skies?

I've seen WADS before that, instead of having a cylindrical / spherical sky texture, have a flat sky, making it looks somewhat 'overcast'.
How do I achieve this look? I've tried a very thin skybox but that still has walls, and makes it look awkward.

You can also put a cloud texture on the ceiling and then scroll it, giving a pretty epic wind on clouds effect.

scifista42 said:

Put this linedef action onto the walls.

Thanks!
I wonder what'll happen if I put this in a n enterable room...

Nevander said:

You can also put a cloud texture on the ceiling and then scroll it, giving a pretty epic wind on clouds effect.

I tried adding a Scroll North Medium on it, it scrolls the floor, not the ceiling.

Nevander said:

Any examples of that?

CrimCuttle said:

I wonder what'll happen if I put this in a n enterable room...

The line would be invisible and look like there's an infinite horizon behind it, but the line would still physically be solid, block players and monsters who bump into it, and make hitscan shots and projectiles disappear upon hitting it.

scifista42 said:

The line would be invisible and look like there's an infinite horizon behind it, but the line would still physically be solid, block players and monsters who bump into it, and make hitscan shots and projectiles disappear upon hitting it.

Imagine if you made a maze and gave every line in there line horizon. That would be diabolical.

Without any shadow of a doubt, that's been done numerous times already. Main reason you probably haven't seen it yet 'in the wild' is because it is awful for gameplay. Mazes generally suck for the most part anyways. To have one that is only really navigable in an automap view is boring - very, very boring.

That said, if you're making a particularly surreal level, the horizon effect in unexpected places can be very useful.

Dragonfly said:

To have one that is only really navigable in an automap view is boring - very, very boring.

So what about one where you can't even use the automap? :P

(If the "maze" was actually small, and the goal was to kill enemies within it instead of finding an exit, it *might* work as an engaging challenge.)

^ Heh, if there's a horizon-maze with the automap denied, I'd likely quit the game and move onto something more fun. :P

What I'd like to see is a hall of mirrors map, like an actual map which uses mirrors, not the HOM engine effect. Is it possible to put mirrors on every wall?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Line_Mirror

I think the "must have enough void space behind it" requirement no longer applies in recent versions of ZDoom, but I'm not 100% sure. If it doesn't, then sure, making mazes out of mirrors would be easy, though they'd potentially be very slow to render.