Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People were wondering where I'd got to, so have a map.

/idgames link
Powerhouse mirror

Name: Tungsten
IWAD: Doom 2
Map(s): MAP01
Port: PrBoom+/GLBoom
Music: "Violence Makes Violets" by me (30in30-4)
Build Time: 2 days
Textures: jimmytex (all included in download)

Made for the latest battleofthebits.org Doom 2 mapping contest. You can download and vote on the entries at the link.

This map features use of the "unorthogon" style of mine seen in various maps I've made over the last 2 or 3 years, starting with Mayhem 2048's MAP01 "Unorthogon", and a birthday map for jmickle66666666.

Yeah use PrBoom+ or GLBoom. Of course advanced ports like ZDoom and Eternity should have no problem running it either.

Nice map Jimmy. Fun action with well balanced ammo and classy texturing. Got 100/100 (but 0 secrets) my first go but panicked a few times, especially rocketing the archie while in lava.

Demo was recorded with -complevel 9. Good stuff!

dktung.zip

Ahhhhh I dont have the time for this but I'm going to play it anyway, so you are therefore responsible for ruining my life. What a jerk

MinerOfWorlds said:

Do you mean dos boom? or proboom/glboom?

It works with gzdoom as far as i know.

When somebody mentions which port to use to play his wad, unless stated otherwise, he means the lowest compatible port that can properly run the wad, and it's a matter of course that all advanced ports that support features of the mentioned port will properly run the wad as well. Here is a list of ports that support Boom features.

Nice playthroughs Doomkid and rdwpa. :) Handled the traps well.

Vorpal soz man :<

Really fun map Jimmy! I recorded a fda for you as well: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/demoz/mek-tungfda.lmp

I found a couple of things you might want to fix too.

There was a medikit in front of the switch, forcing you to pick it up. Might want to move it. There were a couple other medikits placed in similar ways as well (on lifts, etc).

Little misalignment here that pops up after the floors lower into the lava.

The new textures are quite nice as well. I really liked that wide exit door :)

I was so sure I fixed that misalignment. :x

Thanks for the notes, Mek, I'm making changes per your feedback. Dunno whether to just upload a new version or maybe put it up on /idgames when I've made all the changes. Do need to add difficulty settings, so maybe I'll do that and then add the new link in this thread.

Virgin playthrough. Please excuse my dodgy frame rate. Recently, my video card started acting very flaky. I think running Doom 2016 on a poor old 760ti pushed it over the edge.

I ate it pretty quick on my first attempt, but I got the hang of it. The texture and color theme work well together and the overall progression was easy to navigate. The only criticism I would have is that the difficulty peaks at the intro and I felt safer as the map progressed. Maybe add a bit if viciousness after that exit door and you'd be golden. I would love to see more maps like this together, maybe a Jimmy mini-megawad? :)

Oh, and the music is fantastic, but that's a give in.

This was very refreshing and fun. Love how it fits in with vanilla level of detail and "feel", but features a much more slick and modern layout with the main area that you return to as it deforms into the lava. Speaking of the lava, whether you changed it or by virtue of the other custom textures around it, I like how its color pops out in stark contrast. Short maps are also my fetish these days.

If I can be reeeeeally nitpicky then I will complain about the 2 knights + 2 shotgunners in the exit who pose no threat, but it's almost a theme in the doom community for the exit room to have SOME sort of completely neutered fodder to blast before flipping that switch.

If it was a vorpal map (which it's not!) I'd have made the archvile fight a little more dangerous by releasing a bunch of popcorn baddies in the lava (as a sort of "pressure" to get the player moving) and made the lifts the slow painful style instead of the zippy fast style because I'm mean-spirited. But I'd also show some mercy by adding more rockets and bullets.

tl;dr top quality stress reliever coffee-break map

Cheers and thanks for the videos, guys, great and entertaining stuff. :D

Ed, yep those hitscanners are probably a tad evil. :P

Vorpal, I'm gonna see what I can do with that exit room. Probably won't make it more trappy per se, but will see if I can reconfigure the monster placement such that that final furlong is an adequate challenge.

Here's my FDA : here ( also available on YouTube )

Cool map Jimmy, I dig these texture edits and the layout is so great :)

I agree with Mechadon, you have too many forced item pickups which may lead to a waste of resources, but I guess you already took care of that in the next version.

Thanks for the comment, Paul, and for the playthrough, Wilou! :D One thing that stood out to me about your video was the music - it sounded off-key, and one instrument, the polysynth, was disastrously off even with the rest of the song. What's goin' on there? D:

Nice work Jimmy! Cool application of your new textures. It was pretty fun, though personally I would have preferred a shotgun up front. I think you could make the gameplay a little more fun my clumping like monsters closer together. When little wimpy monsters are all spread out, they chip away at your health and they're not easy to take down fast with the shotgun or pistol. Otherwise it was still a lot of fun once I started acquiring some weapons.

Here's a demo

Also there's a part of the floor with the rocket launcher near the lava that hurts, and it doesn't look like it's supposed to.

Damn of course I missed something. x_x Doesn't seem worth uploading it to /idgames again just to fix that, tbh.

Thanks for the demo and the feedback, 40. :)

The uh flaming barrel is hot enough to hurt you! Damage control established you're welcome jimly

Marcaek said:

The uh flaming barrel is hot enough to hurt you! Damage control established you're welcome jimly

than'ks

Jimmy said:

Damn of course I missed something. x_x Doesn't seem worth uploading it to /idgames again just to fix that, tbh.

Thanks for the demo and the feedback, 40. :)

Yeah, dont worry about it. Doesn't need to be perfect to be fun. I enjoyed it a lot. Just something to look out for in your future mapping

A tip to help avoid this, I often always leave liquids as non damaging during the majority of my testing, then when just about everything is done, i use find/replace to select all sectors with nukage/lava/slime flats and edit all of them at once just before the maps released. (in most cases damaging floors have low impact on gameplay so I dont really consider them throughout most of my testing)

I like it!! It is different from what I have been seeing so lately. I found no problems so far but I am lost :>