Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I enjoyed Duke Nukem in the '90s (2D and 3D).
(Not really a Doom confession, but a confession nonetheless)

I have never played Doom 64, or Doom 2016. Which sucks, because both look like great games. Alas, I hope to experience both soon. Especially with the release of Brutal Doom 64.

How do you guys play Doom 64 on computer anyway? I need to figure this out.

edit: Found it: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

A confession: i've been tormented by an overwhelming desire to see UDTWiD finished, made even worse by the fact that talking about it just annoys the authors (there's probably not much they can do to speed up the process). But that's really like THE most anticipated WAD for me at the moment, with nothing even coming close (well perhaps The Shores of ZDoom).

Good thing is at least I've got something to look forward to.

Crunchynut44 said:

My friend just showed me the new Forza in an attempt to impress me with it's modern graphics and I was completely unimpressed, yet I walk around the maps of BTSX and practically shit my pants from the sheer beauty of it all.

lol I'm the same way.

I was recently struggling with E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly - UV, no saves, pistol start. Died +/- 5 times during encounter with Cyberdemon. Then I realized that I could take Invulnerability Sphere from Red Key Barrier, quickly go to 4-way teleporter, then go to room where Cybie was in and shoot him in point-blank range. I was very reliefed and felt dumb at the same time because I didn't keep this strategy in every run - I did this for the first struggle, but completelly missed this up and then tried to battle Cybie another way.

@Crunchynut44:
Ah yes, nothing beats pixelated beauty of BTSX, or even Doom overall.

I don't really like Brutal Doom that much, but I enjoy Brutal Doom 64 more than both regular Doom and regular Brutal Doom.

I'm not a huge fan of 90's megawads aside from MM1. Tried playing some Requiem and wasn't feeling it until I loaded it with Brutal Doom and now I'm having fun! I do think some wads play better with BD as it makes the easier, more mundane combat more interesting at least.

I confess to thinking that Bloodstained should be nominated for this year's mockaward.

That wad is like being date raped. 25 levels of magnificent scenery, some of the best levels anywhere, the closest thing to a genuine sequel to AV.wad that I have seen. And I really like AV.wad. Like really.

But then in the last 5 levels, it ties you up, sticks you in a trunk and instakills you repeatedly over and over without any warning or preparation or way to respond.

[\end joking-but-not-joking rant\]

-I confess that I do not find any joy at playing Doom 2 whitout gameplay mod but I do go vanilla for the others Iwads and Pwads.
-I discovered the community less than six months.
-I love freedoom phase 2 more than Doom 2.
-I can't say it!!

rehelekretep said:

youre not the first at all but it's BLOODSTAIN no -ed at all :x

Thank you for the correction, good sir. Indeed it doesnt.

I've been playing doom for about 20 years now and I've never completed the 4th episode of the ultimate edition. I've played through most of the levels, and I have no issue with the difficulty, I always just get kinda burned out by the time I get to the 4th episode.

Uscora said:

I've been playing doom for about 20 years now and I've never completed the 4th episode of the ultimate edition. I've played through most of the levels, and I have no issue with the difficulty, I always just get kinda burned out by the time I get to the 4th episode.

UV is where your kick is at.

I loved Icarus when it was released and was really looking forward for Daedalus. Of course it was totally different.. I still didn't finish it. Basically I had no idea what to do in the second part and after exhausting my possibilities I just lost interest. I still feel like a retard for not finding out what to do.

I always play Doom on ITYTD or any game in general on easy.

Also I am too broke to afford any kind of original copies for the classic Doom games, so I am "making my own"

I've never bought a single Doom or Wad related game. I got Doom 1 - 3, Heretic 1 and 2, from my father who either had the game since before I was born, or in Doom 3's case, bought the game when he heard about it five years after its release. I still have the retail box for Heretic 2, and a few other games he had like Theif, Deus Ex, and even Daikatana. I remember seeing CD's for Doom 1 as a kid, but they are lost somewhere.
I got the Hexen games and Strife from an abandonware website a while ago. I'm evil, I know.

I have a ton of 8-bar or so snippets of midi that I made and gave up on because I thought they sounded bad, only to listen to them months later and think "Wow this actually sounds good".

I think listening to the music at all seems to be detrimental somehow. 75% of the tracks I've finished this year were made by just inputting notes into the score (relying on "ear" to imagine what it would sound like), only stopping to listen every 4 or 8 bars before going on, repeating until the track was done. These are probably my favorite:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ik5bpd9hi5pd91c/moonlitclouds.mid
http://www.mediafire.com/download/92mlrala5z2zz5e/dreamystuffagain.mid
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fcldblk0ymbldbx/rubyprincess.mid (needs to be transposed up two or three semitones)

I guess it does reveal my default tendencies in composition. :D But I always end up hearing them as if they are totally fresh to me, like the tracks I listen back to many months later, so I never get the chance to be fatigued by them, which I think happens during my normal process.

I prefer modern controls over the original control scheme.
I have been burned out for four months, and am trying to get my mapping spark back on a epic quest involving trying to work on many many maps
I think doom would make a good prequel to w40k, with doom guy being replaced by the emperor
I based my doom bible mod off of kzids resource archive.
I am paranoid about being killed off due to my doom bible mod

RobbingSnake said:

I didn't sprint until E3M6.

I didn't sprint until 'The Underhalls'. Had no idea I could until I literally had no choice but to do so in order to progress. I was so amazed at that exact moment that I went back to Doom1 and looked for things to sprint to. I found the secret lift in e1m1 that day :D

I think it's quite unimaginative when so many maps in a set handle weapon progression in the same typical way, usually SG -> CG -> SSG/RL -> RL/SSG -> etc., maybe with a melee weapon handed out at an early junction. Sometimes there is perfunctory pistol combat, usually against the lowest-tier monsters. It very quickly stands out and gives the proceedings a strong sense of artificiality.

Lots of combinations can work. I prefer maps that use ammo availability to shape progression; use non-linearity to create a variable progression; forgo a traditional escalation of arms and use variety in encounter design to keep the experience fresh; or parcel out the arsenal in more typical ways (SG and CG first) but are designed to reward bravado and allow the player to take risks (that is, skip early slow-boiled combat and return to it later in a time-effective way) to secure better weapons early, instead of forcing the player to stick to the script. Something like map29 of The Journey was really good at the latter, despite being as traditional as it gets (SG/CG -> SSG and RL -> PR -> secret (!) BFG). The map becomes a fun and glorious mess if you rush past the SG/CG stage and then try to get the BFG early. In maps like these, the player is guaranteed to play it "the normal way" at least once, because after all they don't know where everything is yet; but rewarding aggression gives the map replayability, for, you know, maxruns and stuff <- my bias becomes apparent :D.

As a kid, I could never get into Hexen's mage. The wand seemed too sucky and the frost hands didn't impress me either. I'm attempting a mage playthrough now but I'm not sure if I can handle it... I like the wand a lot more now, it is fun to line up the enemies. But the frost attack is still a mystery to me. It's like most of the time the enemies don't even become frozen, so it works like a simple weak weapon that isn't cool at all. I like the green bottles though: they work in a more interesting way than when you're a fighter I think.

Frost Shards should be used either at point-blank(*touching* the enemy) or at medium range, so all the projectiles can spawn. Any other range will cause the weapon to do a lot less damage. Try to go for a point-blank obviously.