Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wolf 3d on an 8086

invictius said:

Albeit done via the source code. Makes me wonder if similar could be done to the source to run Doom...

No chance. Wolf3d was 16 bit code. Doom is 32 bit throughout. Making this work with the very limited memory model and lack of 32bit operations it'd slow as hell, even if you somehow managed to squeeze the whole thing to 640kb.

Yeah, depends on what you call "Doom" and what you call "playable" -- there is a version for the VIC20, but I would not call it either.

Did he also mod it and gave an SSG to the basic guards? What happened there? :D

VGA said:

Did he also mod it and gave an SSG to the basic guards? What happened there? :D

Have you forgotten how insanely hard Wolfenstein 3D can be? It's pretty unforgiving!

GoatLord said:

Have you forgotten how insanely hard Wolfenstein 3D can be? It's pretty unforgiving!

Yep, average bullet damage in Doom is 1-5 and in Wolf3D it's 1-64.

yeah, it's one of the reasons it took me so long to actually complete the game in full, the other reason being the maze-like level-design. i don't recommend playing the game for too long nowadays.

I didn't even know about the Pac-Man secret until seeing it on YouTube in the last couple years. I can't play Wolf 3D at this point because the engine is too limiting. Every last map looks basically the same.

play it with ECWolf using Woolie's Cosmetic Upgrade. makes it look a little less drab overall, and ECWolf has quicksaving and an automap feature, which really helps with most of the later levels, IMO, if not the whole game.

GoatLord said:

That's why I usually play on "Can I Play Daddy?". The intensity of the red flashes from taking damage on higher difficulties hurt my eyes.

dethtoll said:

Spear of Destiny is way better.

How so?

There was one map in SoD which had an extremely long winding passage without enemies and it was quite tedious to traverse through.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

automap feature, which really helps with most of the later levels, IMO, if not the whole game.

Yeah, but that's cheating. Like using mouselook on MAP30. However, I do admit that I was VERY tempted to use it on E6M7-M8. The game gets really hard in the last few levels.

Cyanosis said:

Yep, average bullet damage in Doom is 1-5 and in Wolf3D it's 1-64.

This is one of my favourite features of Wolf3D. You're always on your toes, you don't feel overpowered like in Doom. Every single stupid brown guard is an actual threat.

dethtoll said:

Better map design, better sense of place, better gameplay, better pacing.

For a prequel? Well, that's YOUR opinion, I guess...

Avoozl said:

There was one map in SoD which had an extremely long winding passage without enemies and it was quite tedious to traverse through.

UGH! I hated that part. >:(
In fact, I found the mazes to be the worst part of Wolf3D/SOD. It's so damn easy to get lost, and just when you think you found a way out, you're back where you friggin' started!

bzzrak said:

Yeah, but that's cheating. Like using mouselook on MAP30.

Don't know if it's quite comparable since the SNES version and derivatives had an automap, but I understand not wanting to use it.

And look how the sound is just as smooth and high quality as ever :D Does it download all sound to an external controller? I kinda wish he used the PC sounds, because they're legendary, but this works well enough as a proof that digitized sounds work too.

This kind of thread reminds me of Maes, who can't post on this subforum :(

This reminds me of another thread where someone put Wolf3D on a 286; I suppose this is beyond that.

The CPU loads the sound/MIDI data into RAM and tells the sound card to play it.

After reading this thread I tried the first few maps of SoD. I didn't like it any more than Wolf3D.