Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Jupiter Carnage 3 (RELEASED) -- yet another techbase for vanilla Doom 1

Here we go...

Back in April, I released a (rather bad) starbase-themed WAD, Jupiter Carnage.
A bit later, as I am one of those freaks who care about the story in their WADs, came JC2.
And then, I decided to make the best techbase map I could as the stunning conclusion.
Well, after exactly 7 months of hard work, it's DONE! Man, the feeling is truly awesome.

How good is it? It's gonna blow you out of the water, that's how amazingly amazing this level is. OK, not really.

FINAL!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/imad82a7eqn2e78/JUPCARN3.ZIP
(size = 546 KB)
Also, expect it on /idgames in a few days.
A playthrough is included in the DEMO1 lump, btw. Don't laugh at my pitiful Doom skills please! :]

RC2:

Spoiler

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c67fht9mrk8v19t/JUPCARN3_RC2.zip
(size -- 501 KB)
Changelog:

Adding minor stupid hard-to-find secrets (the only thing I've been doing for the last 2 months).
Minor detailing.
Fixing the stuff Voros pointed out, hopefully not causing new problems.
Added a bunch of useless texture recolours. All original.
Making the automap even cleaner.

RC1:It plays on the Ultimate Doom IWAD, takes the E4M3 slot, plays with any port. A full playthrough takes me about 20 minutes (if I don't enter every secret!), but it might take you a lot longer.
There is also a quickly-made E1M1 to point you to the right slot.
Tested with Chocolate & Crispy Doom, as well as Doom Retro.
-----------------
I recommend playing on HMP difficulty. I didn't care about UV or HNTR at all, but they are implemented.
Also, I recommend you to use saves, there are a few super-dumb areas that I found funny, it's my map after all.

Screenshots:
(rather old ones, though!)
http://gamebanana.com/maps/191570
In case you don't know, GameBanana is a site like ModDB.
I'm gonna upload more recent screenshots, I really will.

Feedback, FDAs, suggestions, praises, whatever -- welcome!

Not bad. It's actually pretty good, making your other maps seem inferior. I tried to do an FDA, but then i was ashamed at how early i died, so fuck it.

From what i played, I like it. Especially the part where I first went outside and saw the planet in the sky;mixes well aesthetically. Not sure where the yellow key is though. Don't spoil it for me.

Anyways:
-HOM in the crusher room.

There's also a misalignment, but I can't actually describe it right now. Fortunately, i took a screenshot. Unfortunately, I can't upload it ATM.

Well, my other maps seem inferior because it's been 7 months since the last map I made, you know.
The HOM -- fixed, thx.
Misalignment -- perhaps it's a secret?
Yellow key -- somewhere behind the blue key door.
It is

Spoiler

in the BROWNGRN "tower", behind the crates. But how do you lower them? Hmm...

Thanks for feedback!

Misalignment is in that room with circular walkway (?). It has acid floor.

Speaking of damaging floor, add some rad suits that's easy to find in the first tunnel/room that has acid floors all the way (the tunnel leads to a room full of imps IIRC)

Voros said:

Misalignment is in that room with circular walkway (?). It has acid floor.

Speaking of damaging floor, add some rad suits that's easy to find in the first tunnel/room that has acid floors all the way (the tunnel leads to a room full of imps IIRC)

The circular walkway is a leaking barrel.
The lack of radsuits in the imps' room is intended, you have to be quick.

bzzrak said:

The circular walkway is a leaking barrel.

Not my point. Look at the walls with flowing acid textures. One of them is misplaced.

I played this a week or two ago. I got stuck in the area with the u-shaped bridge in nukage, which takes place a short length after the fun invul fight -- due to a linedef skip, the bridge that allows you to leave didn't raise. The linedef is somewhat easy to skip, so a backup plan (e.g. a lift that allows you to return to the area right before it) would be a good idea.

I think the most prevalent problem with the early gameplay is that the scale is really cramped in ways that aren't so fun. The crate room for instance isn't intuitive to maneuver through at all, the hallways are predominantly 64-wide, etc., and it doesn't really serve the gameplay at all, it's just an inconvenience.

rdwpa said:

due to a linedef skip, the bridge that allows you to leave didn't raise

Huh? Never happened to me. I'll try to make a backup solution, thanks.

rdwpa said:

I think the most prevalent problem with the early gameplay is that the scale is really cramped in ways that aren't so fun. The crate room for instance isn't intuitive to maneuver through at all, the hallways are predominantly 64-wide, etc., and it doesn't really serve the gameplay at all, it's just an inconvenience.

TBH I never really paid attention to that. All those areas were made half a year ago and I sort of stopped viewing them as something changeable. I'll definitely widen things up, double thanks.

well.... what to say about this.
Overall JC3 is pretty bad.
Im not sure what gave you the idea throwing the player right of the bat in that hitscan hell in the first map. Ammo management seemed fine until you decided to put barons in hallways. Love my barons in hallways.
The Healthkit can be grabbed throught the wall btw.

Second map. Even worse than the first one. Don't be so greedy with ammo please :)
And I really second the idea putting rad-suits for the acid part somewhere.

death112 said:

well.... what to say about this.
Overall JC3 is pretty bad.
Im not sure what gave you the idea throwing the player right of the bat in that hitscan hell in the first map. Ammo management seemed fine until you decided to put barons in hallways. Love my barons in hallways.
The Healthkit can be grabbed throught the wall btw.

Second map. Even worse than the first one. Don't be so greedy with ammo please :)
And I really second the idea putting rad-suits for the acid part somewhere.

Thanks for feedback.

Hitscanner hell -- sorry. I guess that's one of those areas that can be enjoyed only by the map's creator. If you hate it so much, use IDBEHOLDI, I won't mind :]
Ammo management -- sorry (2). You're given a berserk though, use it wisely.
There's only one baron in one hallway, lol.
Healthkit -- if I understand you correctly, it was the intention.
You didn't play on UV, did you? Well, if you did, don't.

Second map: you mean E1M1? Well, as not everyone will remember that the mapslot is E4M3, I threw in a small 1-hour speedmap to point people to the real deal. It should be worse :]

Yeah, I played on UV. No worries, I finished it in a legit way :)
I just wanted to share my view, even though my feedback won't really help a lot.
You're right about the berserk pack there, I'm not such a huge tyson player.
Even though giving a zerk pack doesn't really count towards ammo management, atleast thats my opinion.

Also the thing with the healthkit. You got one in a place, where you can lower the wall in the first map. Well, you can grab it without lowering the wall, thats what I meant.