Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

A Thought

[20:44] <Voros> An idea
[20:44] <Voros> How about dropping the techbase->hellish techbase->hell progression
[20:45] <Voros> And go say
[20:45] <Voros> Competely techbases
[20:45] <Voros> Or a mix of techbases and outdoor areas?
[20:46] <Voros> Since aquatex is basically a techbase texture pack
[20:46] <Voros> Mappers can take advantage of it
[20:47] <Voros> Theres nothing wrong with it
[20:47] <Voros> BTSX chose to do so
[20:47] <Voros> Sure
[20:48] <Voros> Freedoom probably aint going that well made
[20:48] <Voros> But nonetheless
[20:48] <Voros> Theres nothing wrong with going all out techbases/outdoor area progression
[20:48] <Voros> BTSX and Freedoom are two different things
[20:49] <Voros> Theyll be viewed as two different things
[20:49] <Voros> Surely BTSX wasnt the first WAD to go the completely techbase approach
[20:49] <Voros> Right?
[20:49] <Voros> Damn im writing so much
[20:51] <Voros> Why theyll be viewed as two things?
[20:51] <Voros> Why not?
[20:51] <Voros> Freedoom wont be a clone of BTSX
[20:52] <Voros> It would just take the same approach BTSX did
[20:52] <Voros> In its own way.

unfortunately, I didn't stay on the channel long enough to notice a reply (if any).

That would get old really quick, BTSX by itself works because even though it does Techbase only, it has several styles of Techbases, and its lenght also helps, imagine going through 32/36 maps of pure Techbase...

Instead we should use different themes to go along with the plot and sprites, i.e. Aquatex Techbase, Underground and finally Overground, "Another Planet", where the base organism enemies came from, if applicable to the chosen plot.

I would like to add another idea to this thread: After Phase 1 and 2 have complete mapsets, making a freedoom counterpart to No Rest for the Living, this would be more of a completionism thing.

YukiHerz said:

That would get old really quick, BTSX by itself works because even though it does Techbase only, it has several styles of Techbases, and its lenght also helps, imagine going through 32/36 maps of pure Techbase...

I would like to add another idea to this thread: After Phase 1 and 2 have complete mapsets, making a freedoom counterpart to No Rest for the Living, this would be more of a completionism thing.

I'd like that. Its not like all the maps will have the same architecture. Freedoom can also do itvin different styles. Of course its just a thought.

Idk, seems unnecessary imo

Yet another thought:
Ok, so Aquatex has been confirmed to be added soon (need to upload some fixes first). When added, i say there should be a retexturisation project for the CURRENT Freedoom maps, for the players' convenience. Since people say maps that are final should come last, then what about the current maps? Why leave them textured with IWAD clones?

Voros said:

Ok, so Aquatex has been confirmed to be added soon (need to upload some fixes first). When added, i say there should be a retexturisation project for the CURRENT Freedoom maps, for the players' convenience. Since people say maps that are final should come last, then what about the current maps? Why leave them textured with IWAD clones?

I think aquatex should be used in a subtle way. Don't spam the new textures everywhere, just use them occasionally like final doom did and it will look just fine.

Definitely no spamming, but rather use them alongside the normal textures. Preferably using Aquatex more than the normal ones, just to make it more unique.

Just imagine if there isn't a retexturisation project for the next release:

Freedoom 0.11 has new textures...
Player: cool! *loads up Freedoom to check, but gets disappointed*
But none of the maps use them :)
Player: wtf *throws the whole computer off the desk*

Yet another thought. SKAG 1337 is a bit cringy, mainly because of the 1337 in the name.
Does SKAG 777 sound better?

Can't say I like SKAG 1337 much either, but at least it is pronounceable (Skag Leet, two syllables)

SKAG 777 is seven syllables (Skag Seven Seven Seven), too long I think, and a bit repetitive.

Or SKAG Triple Seven (which I'm sure most will pronounce it like that)

What about SKAG Infinity, cause no one said it had be a number.

i would advise against using "infinity" on weapons as it could mislead players. i had originally put an infinity sign on my cell pack, but i replaced it with a sine wave for this reason

I see what you mean. So 777 would be a good idea than 1337? 1337 just makes it seem childish and troll-like.

Just Skag for me sounds already cool, you can see it by in doom everyone says bfg, not bfg9000 so a simple skag for me is already good.

The number makes it feel more different from the others weapons in a way. And gives the impression that its powerful too.

Yet another thought. I decided today that I like the color red so maybe it would be a good idea to recolor everything to red?

40oz said:

Yet another thought. I decided today that I like the color red so maybe it would be a good idea to recolor everything to red?

if you playing freedoom in zandronum do it:

Open console, tip "give doomsphere" whitout the " and hit enter, everything will became red, but you'll have 4x dmg also.

40oz said:

Whoa, let's not go that far.

raymoohawk said:

if its possible tho, i would like the visuals of the invulnerability to change, its so difficult to see with it

The invulnerability effect can be changed, it uses an entry in the COLORMAP lump to map pixel colors, for DOOM this is the all-white thing, but other stuff is possible, e.g. HacX had an all-blue effect that looked cool.

However OpenGL ports generally have a hard-coded effect, so for them it can't be changed.

raymoohawk said:

if its possible tho, i would like the visuals of the invulnerability to change, its so difficult to see with it

I think that's the point: inifinite power for the lack of proper vision. I'm fine with it actually.

Reflecting here.
One thing I noticed is that the angle grinder is a bit annoying to aim, due to the angled position (I'm aware of the fist, but I consider it an exception). Upon attacking, I naturally turn slightly to the left, so that the blade is touching the enemy. I know the engine doesn't work like that, but it just happens instinctively. As a result, it doesn't hit sometimes. Not mention that the blood splats tend to appear in the wrong place too (around the area of the left side of the blade).

So, I decreased the X offsets by 40 and tested it out ingame. I think it's an improvement, as the blade is technically centered when attacking, thus blood splats appear in front of the blade, and it retains that angled look.

Good thinking! I'll ask the usual question though, could you please post a screenshot of what it looks like in-game?

andrewj said:

However OpenGL ports generally have a hard-coded effect, so for them it can't be changed.

This can be done in MAPINFO lump. This is not compat with Boom but as I went to look it up I see it being said that if Boom sees a MAPINFO lump in its wad it will scroll right past it, so you should be safe to include it. Apologies if I'm wrong.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_properties#Powerup.Color
Check for other properties in this lump which also effect powerup fx.
You can change the Item pickup flash too. I made mine purple.
Thanks to you, I find out just now that Invulns can be given a Reflect property to repel enemy proj. I was going to cut the invulns out of my game entirely (don't need em, just don't take damage). But after seeing this I may just use Reflect and cut the duration down to like 5, 10, or 15sec, as a short-burst godspurt to rack up some swarmkills. i may have to play with the properties to make it so reflected bullets hurt monsters. I currently have most infighting disabled.