Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gramzilla

New Doom blog/site

Hey there Doomworld,

I have recently created a website of sorts using Wix, and I would like to share it with you guys. It is pretty basic stuff, and it revolves around me posting stuff I may find interesting and sharing cool wads and mods, and anything else Doom-related.

I am posting this here because I would love to hear ideas for posts and constructive criticism on the layout and content. (And no, I am not trying to replace/rip off/copy Doomworld.)

That said, try not to judge it too hard, as I have never created my own website before. Another side note: I may only be able to update it bi-weekly or on an irregular basis.

Thanks,

- The Connoisseur

So which URL address would I go about accessing had I the desire to check out said site?

(Short version: Link?)

first thing you should do is get rid of apologetic or defensive text like this

(Try not to judge too harshly at my elementary web design and mediocre organization skills, as this site was created on a whim that I might one day have some influence on the World Wide Web.)

it makes it look amateurish in a bad way

raymoohawk said:

first thing you should do is get rid of apologetic or defensive text like this

it makes it look amateurish in a bad way

Thanks for the tip, raymoonhawk. I'll fix that right away.

UPDATE: The site has been changed. I appreciate the feedback!

So my main feedback would be that I was incredibly confused when I first went to the page because there didn't appear to be any real content. It turns out that the sidebar is invisible unless you maximize your browser or make the window incredibly wide. Please test your pages in windowed mode because not everyone browses like that.

For reference here's what I saw:

fraggle said:

So my main feedback would be that I was incredibly confused when I first went to the page because there didn't appear to be any real content. It turns out that the sidebar is invisible unless you maximize your browser or make the window incredibly wide. Please test your pages in windowed mode because not everyone browses like that.

For reference here's what I saw:

https://i.imgur.com/7nKRD9U.png

thank you for pointing that out. When I was editing the site, I noticed that my formatting would not work correctly unless the menu that is used to navigate is off to the left, and so I decided that it would be a good place for it. However, i didn't anticipate this bug. I'll work on fixing it and keeping the formatting as well, and again, thank you so much for making this problem clear to me.

UPDATE: I fixed the page, and now the menu resides in the header of the site. I'm glad you caught that, or else I'd have a lot of confused visitors.