Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

Signing off.

As of now, I'm no longer moderator of the Doom III forums. I'll still be around though, it's just that these days I don't have the time to constantly check the forums and actually read all the stuff you guys put up. You've been a lovely audience.

What? You're no longer co-mod of the Doom3 and Technology forums? Why? Did you do something wrong?

Well, this was unexpected....

Well i'm happy to hear that your at least staying at Doomworld. We need all the vetren Doomworlders we can get! sorry to here your hanging up your mod suit though.

You're leaving too eh?
Is this a massive joke or what? Everyone's leaving at the same time, I don't believe you guys.

Doomworld is slowly getting lamer - it's because of the flood of newbies, most of whom post lame replies.

And because of this growing display of lameness (even the goddamn news are getting lamer), some of the senior members lose their interest in the community.

dsm, also some your replies are offensive & annoying. You think everybody MUST accept your opinion. Whats the matter man? Hard childrenhood?

zzz said:

dsm, also some your replies are offensive & annoying. You think everybody MUST accept your opinion. Whats the matter man? Hard childrenhood?

No, been reading too many of MACVILEWHORE's very often pointless newbie-bashing posts back when I was a guest.

I just tend to be pissed off when people seem to act really stupid.

...Like this abhorable idea that the bio-mechanical head that we've seen concept sketches of should be a 'lost soul'. The idea of a ghost with a rocket engine is so totally lame that I'm at a loss of words to describe it.

dsm said:

...Like this abhorable idea that the bio-mechanical head that we've seen concept sketches of should be a 'lost soul'. The idea of a ghost with a rocket engine is so totally lame that I'm at a loss of words to describe it.

DSM, no offense, but you can act SOOO sure of yourself sometimes.

So, you know for a fact that Doom 3's "lost souls" (if in fact there ARE lost souls) are going to be ghosts, just because that's what they were before? Consider the updated designs of the classic Doom enemies for a second: The Imp now looks like an insect/alien crossbreed; The Demon now looks just plain different, not to mention the fact that at least half of its body is cybernetic; The Hell Knight looks NOTHING like the original; etc. Considering that id is taking a new approach to an old idea, I think it's safe to say that we have NO IDEA what to expect of this new installment. Hell, for all we know the rocket head may end up being called a "lost soul" just for nostalgia. I mean, you sit here and despise people for even ASKING if it's the new Lost Soul. Why? Do you not see the similarities? "How dare you ask if it's a Lost Soul! I mean, sure, it's a head, and it flies, and it has fire coming out the back, and has the biting razor teeth, and..." I'm sure people aren't asking about this just for you to turn around and treat them like heretics...

Am I saying "Hey guys, f*** DSM, this is THE NEW LOST SOUL!" -- No, I am not.

Am I trying to bash DSM -- No.

DSM, just try to be a bit more open to new ideas. I'm sure the thought of ghosts having cybernetic bodies just sickens you, but if that's what id ends up wanting, then that's what we'll get. And we'll all have to live with it.

And just to REASSURE SOME PEOPLE, no, I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is in fact the new lost soul. All I'm saying is that it's a possibility IMO.

Don't worry, Flathead, I have NO intentions on saying anything else concerning this topic. I just thought it was rather ridiculous how some people could feel so disturbed about it...

About your "stepping down", I'm sorry to hear it. Though you'll still be here, I'm sure you'll be missed as one of the mods. If you mind me asking, what seems to take up your time these days? Employment? I find that when and IF I ever post here, it has to be whenever I'm not busy with work or an EXTREMELY large college work load...

There are a number of reasons why I think calling the bio-mechanical head is ridiculous.

One thing is that the lost souls were shown in the E3 presentation as transparent, floating skulls shrouded in some sort of ghostly red fire that posses humans - it is therefore evident that they are the new lost souls. Not only do they look like souls (and they look like the old lost souls as well), but the fact that they're out looking for bodies to posses fits their name "lost soul" (a soul which is lost from its body and therefore interested in finding a new body to possess) perfectly.

And the reason why it pisses me off that people keep referring to the bio-mechanoid head as a "lost soul", is that I am paranoid that the id guys would look at the forums (I know that they do sometimes - it was revealed quite a while ago that we received visits from idders), see that the community likes to call them that and then think "oh what the Hell, let's just call those cyborg heads "lost soul" and nobody everything will be fine".
But you're right, I should try and be more tolerant and not get angry so easily.

Because as you say, they *might* end up calling these cyborg heads "lost souls" despite what common sense would dictate - you'll never know.

And finally, I do sound so sure of myself, because I AM sure of myself as so many other doomers before me have been sure of themselves - I could mention quite a few old-school doomers who seemed very overconfident in themselves, but I won't because that would most likely make people madder at me than they are as of now.
And I STILL feel quite confident that I am right in this aspect, sorry that I show confidence in myself for a change.

You could also envisage the transparent floating skulls just as special effects, not monster.

And IDders could have anything else as "lost souls".

Until IDders confirm or infirm anything, we can only extrapolate on what is and what is not.

The invasion of the newbies is getting bigger each day, eh? I remebered when I first came to this community, the place was filled with so many good folks. Now they're slipping away from us.

Btw, this is Xenospam.

Even this thread had to turn out into a pointless arguement now, did it?!

I for one didn't expect FlatHead to sign off, but I know his situation perfectly and wish him the best!

I rarely post here myself, but I think many old timers will continue posting here sometimes despite some pointless threads lately...

Unfortunately, most of the old timers registered in the same timeframe I did (Zaldron, etc...) are rarely posting here anymore...

And to FlatHead - Good Luck! Wish u were on ICQ more... (or at least sometimes :))

This is one of lame threads that DSM was talking about. Unfortunately, I think he brought about its lameness. :P

Luckily, the Doom3 Technology forum is around. And luckily we can all play Tenebrae while waiting for more Doom3 news.

Oh yeah, take care Flathead. May the Schwartz be with you!

Ct_red_pants said:

What's with the name change?

He believes that too many people think newbie when they see the name maonth. Also, people don't pronounce it correctly :-P

Dima said:

And to FlatHead - Good Luck! Wish u were on ICQ more... (or at least sometimes :))

Get AIM as soon as possible. It's almost 50% less gay than ICQ =) My screen name is DasFlatHead, look me up.

Lord FlatHead said:

Get AIM as soon as possible. It's almost 50% less gay than ICQ =) My screen name is DasFlatHead, look me up.

Damn straight, and if any of you want to complain about my behavior on the forums/my decisions, I'm online from time to time. My handle is doomedsm.

Have there really been that many annoying noobs here lately?
I don't visit the General page, only Doom3, Tech, and FanFics, but those are great.

Shaviro said:

who cares what it's going to be called? It's not like it will affect the game at all.

You changed your name!!
Now I'm gonna have to get used to it all over again..

DaJuice said:

Have there really been that many annoying noobs here lately?
I don't visit the General page, only Doom3, Tech, and FanFics, but those are great.

Thank your lucky stars that you don't look into Rants & Raves :-)

Crix said:

And luckily we can all play Tenebrae while waiting for more Doom3 news.

I can't, and all the people who can are so lazy and don't even take the time to download it right away. It pisses me off that those people dont respect what they got.

Shaviro said:

who cares what it's going to be called? It's not like it will affect the game at all.

So, if names do not make a difference, why has yours been changed? Hah!