Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

Glaice said:

128px? Wouldn't doors just looks overly silly and large?

There are 128pxs wide doors in Doom already and the grid restriction still doesn't apply to sector heights.

FractalXX said:

Is the maps' name also Bladerunner, or is it only the music?

They are the same name.

FractalXX said:

There are 128pxs wide doors in Doom already and the grid restriction still doesn't apply to sector heights.

Yes, but those 128-unit-wide doors already in Doom aren't 128 units thick.

A natural rocky layout with a primary structural texture that could fit over arbitrary architecture wouldn't really need conventional doors. Designing around typical small and medium-sized rooms seems like it'd be a mistake, too. A large outdoor layout would probably work best for that.

No reason to settle for typical progression, either, which would force either a simple keyless map or pretty ridiculous-looking use of key door/strip textures. Something like a hunt for many duplicates of a single skullkey type (total McGuffins), where grabbing each key involves crossing a trigger that lowers a barrier to the exit by a certain amount, would be more natural.

Here's another update to my map, Hellkeep. I about halved the ammo in single-player, and playtested it to confirm that it is still payable.

Download: hkeepv5.wad
Once again, the txt is inside the wad as a WADINFO lump.

It turns out that the map name Hell Keep is already taken by Doom's E3M1. I need ideas for another name. How about Nether Hold? Devil's Deep?

Empyre said:

It turns out that the map name Hell Keep is already taken by Doom's E3M1. I need ideas for another name. How about Nether Hold? Devil's Deep?

It's your map, go with whatever you like.
I'm thinking Nether's Barricade. Just a suggestion.

BeeWen said:

Add along with the fixes to the 26 maps, please.

https://yadi.sk/d/jh8hOT3n32GYH6

Noted.

I've decided to stay with Hellkeep (one word), even though it is only slightly different from Id's Hell Keep (two words).

Empyre said:

I've decided to stay with Hellkeep (one word), even though it is only slightly different from Id's Hell Keep (two words).

Hell Fort(ress)?

Hell Barracks?

Hell Castle?

FractalXX said:

Downloaded.

All levels of this project ready? If Yes, then will be collected when the release is?

BeeWen said:

All levels of this project ready? If Yes, then will be collected when the release is?

It's been a while since I did anything to the project due to the holiday, but I think everything is ready, except if someone still wants to update their map(s).
Also, if I remember correctly, we still need some title patches.

FractalXX said:

Also, if I remember correctly, we still need some title patches.

If you can hook me up with the finalized list of map names and authors I can bang them out.

Nevander said:

If you can hook me up with the finalized list of map names and authors I can bang them out.

Please note that the name of my map is a single word: Hellkeep. Also, thank you for making title patches.

Nevander said:

I think I'll make a secret map to replace Trouble on the Bridge, because it doesn't fit in (IMO).
Also, someone will have to make a secret exit on their map.
After that, I'll update the list in the OP and that will be the finalized list.

Hello. :)

FractalXX said:

Also, someone will have to make a secret exit on their map.

I previously suggested an area in Pinchy's Sheev Wheev for that:

Cyberia-Mix said:

I think the large secret area near the beginning that opens when getting the plasma rifle would be a pretty good candidate for the secret exit to Map31.
Players can guess the area must have some purpose but they don't know how to open it. And by the time it's open they may have forgotten about it and miss it, since the entrance is not really in view.
All of that makes a great combo for a secret exit.

Pinchy said:

I'll leave this update here for now until the secret exit is decided.

V0.97

Dunno if he's still up for it though.

On 11/03/2017 at 7:56 AM, Pinchy said:

V0.97

Secret exit added in the middle east secret area.

Great news! Interestingly, putting it in the open has made this secret area easier to notice now.

Unless it's intentional, you might be interested in fixing the texture floor here also (just need to flip the trigger line).

Sorry for talking so much about this map, it's my favorite from the project.

Really had a lot of fun trying in every way. It looks good, it gives a lot of freedom, it's hard yet cleverly balanced, and the song gets stuck in my head. :P

On 3/24/2017 at 4:33 AM, Pinchy said:

I fixed that line and also a sector missing it's damaging effect.

V0.98

Great news! I'll update everything in the project, soon.
We'll still need a proper secret map, though.

Good news here.

I finally managed to get lots of free time so I can focus on the rest of the project.

We also have someone for the secret map. Hopefully, he will write here, soon.

I've also updated some maps I could find updates for, including mine (a new room at the end, fixed some bugs, etc.)

(hopefully) I've added the missing CWILVs properly (thanks to BeeWen).

Link in the OP.

EDIT: Another bug found: I forgot to update the MAPINFO for zDoom with the "secretnext" attribute for Sheev Wheej. Will be included in the next update.

Also, I think it would make some things easier if we split up the 3 themes between at least 3 people to test, so the testers only have to focus on their own "area".

Edited by FractalXX