Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Let's Play Doom Resurrection (haha don't actually)

Doom Resurrection was a 2009 release for iOS advertised as "a brand new, technologically advanced, heart-pounding chapter in the legendary DOOM Saga":

Scientists on a remote research facility on Mars have lost control of their experiment and all Hell has broken loose. As the last surviving Marine in your unit, you must defeat Hell’s minions and unravel the mystery of what has happened on Mars. Earth’s future depends on you!

Courage alone will not be enough to stand up to the evil that awaits you. Utilize a devastating arsenal of weapons, helpful NPC’s and your environment to succeed. With an assault rifle, shotgun, a vicious chainsaw, and more, you will even the odds in a raging battle against unnatural beasts hell-bent on flaying your flesh and damning your soul.

With its revolutionary control scheme, breathtaking visuals, and intense story, DOOM Resurrection is sure to provide the adrenaline rush you’ve been craving.

Do you have what it takes to defeat evil and survive the Resurrection?

It had the distinction of being the most recent standalone game in the Doom franchise, prior to the release of D44M. (Doom 2 RPG was released slightly later, but that is clearly a non-serious spinoff.) It further has the distinction of being the only Doom game where John Carmack was the lead developer.

It's also FUCKING GARBAGE.

(Anyways, I just finished actually sitting down and recording footage of playing all the way through this godawful game, and I figured I should link it here, for anyone who has never seen it in all its glory.)

My friend got this on his droid and he showed it to me. It seemed pretty fun to me. Its just a Doom3 themed rail shooter like time crisis or house of the dead. What's so bad about it?

So, in the end, it wasn't John Romero who made you his bitch, but John Carmack. Suck it down.

40oz said:

Its just a Doom3 themed rail shooter like time crisis or house of the dead. What's so bad about it?

Implying that rail shooters are any good to begin with. Their timing-based gameplay mechanics are bad enoughnot everybody's cup of tea, but when one desecrates Doom, the game that quite literally "cut the strings" of the player compared to the much more limited forms of gameplay/player movement available until then, by going full circle...well...

If anything, it's an interesting case study on how a limited input device (a smartphone) forces a game to be completely redesigned around it (and don't come telling me that any FPS, whether a Doom source port or not, is satisfying to play on a mobile phone regardless of the many proposed control schemes).

Oh, man, so that's the common opinion on rail shooters? I actually thought about adapting AutoDoom into a rail shooter where movement is controlled by the bot and you do the shooting…

Anyway, this is quite a damning reason that I miss the GameBoyAdvance. Touchscreen devices totally fail at replacing it.

Come on now, rail shooters aren't all that bad. It's just that this one looks like Doom 3 running on the Quake engine, the fact that you have to tilt your phone to aim makes me sick just thinking about it, and the dialogue is fuckin' stupid(but then again, rail shooters usually have crappy dialogue for some reason). I think we could excuse this one for being a 2009 mobile game though.

One of the main reasons it is so bad is that the control scheme is absolutely horrible. You have to tilt the phone around in order to aim, and there are four "face buttons" on the corners of the screen to shoot and hide and so forth.

The tilt-to-aim is probably about as good as it can be, but it's still completely awful - it's inherently laggy and imprecise, it's uncomfortable, and it means you're constantly shifting around *the thing you are looking at*.

You may remember how back when the PS3 first came out it touted its SIXAXIS(tm) controller and required first party games to add in motion-control elements. Lo and behold, it sucked, and nowadays PS4 games barely use the motion-control aspect of the DualShock 4 at all.

It's also bad because it has significant COVER SHOOTER elements, which is just, argh.

I beat this a few years ago, and I remember thinking, "This would be so much better with a bigger screen and a lightgun."

I always thought this looked not-so-good, but for some bizarre reason I'd love to see Doom3 ported to the PS2 with these graphics. No idea why.

Wasn't Carmack the lead developer of the original Doom games? Why is that a distinction of this game, I don't get it.

Doomkid said:

I always thought this looked not-so-good, but for some bizarre reason I'd love to see Doom3 ported to the PS2 with these graphics. No idea why.

This seems like one of those games that were pretty good during the time of release. I remember it looking quite impressive back then.

Nowadays, with how much smartphone game graphics and gameplay have advanced, its flaws are much more apparent.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Doom 3 running on the Quake engine

Well to be fair Doom 3 was made on a heavily modified version of the ID Tech 3 engine (the same engine used for Quake III Arena) and it ended up being the ID Tech 4 engine we know today.

If only it were available for Android devices... Please port it to Android, id... ;_;

Linguica said:

Doom Resurrection was a 2009 release for iOS advertised as "a brand new, technologically advanced, heart-pounding chapter in the legendary DOOM Saga":

It had the distinction of being the most recent standalone game in the Doom franchise, prior to the release of D44M. (Doom 2 RPG was released slightly later, but that is clearly a non-serious spinoff.) It further has the distinction of being the only Doom game where John Carmack was the lead developer.

It's also FUCKING GARBAGE.

Yeah that looked pretty bad, I LOL'd at the floating R2D2 helper droid and the really lame dialog stuff, those really tight spaces and shooting-gallery gameplay would definitely shit me, plus the models look terrible without DOOM3's full lighting system, kinda like how Doom64's textures are pretty drab on their own and rely on its lighting system to make things look decent.

MFG38 said:

If only it were available for Android devices... Please port it to Android, id... ;_;

If only it were free too. Then I would try it out in this iPhone.

Didn't id release the source code for this, or does my memory not serve me right?

I wanted to get an iPod at one point just for this game. One of those newflanged iPods with the touchscreen and the wifi and the apps and also the thing that plays music.

Glad I didn't.

Quasar said:

A better project would be to remake this game in the Doom 3 engine, for PC.

If you want to turn the entire game into a giant scripted scene where you can also fire....sounds just about as fun as "driving" next to your dad with a plastic wheel in your safety seat.

Maes said:

If you want to turn the entire game into a giant scripted scene where you can also fire....sounds just about as fun as "driving" next to your dad with a plastic wheel in your safety seat.

I'm not here to debate the ups and downs of the rail shooter genre, only suggesting a way this particular game could be done better; ie., not being on a phone and not using garbo motion controls for a start.

Doesn't sound like it's a great game but kudos to Carmack for recognizing the limits of the smartphone platform and trying to build a game that worked within them. He did the same thing with Doom RPG on older J2ME pre-smart phones and that worked out pretty well. Looks like this didn't work so well.

In the first video at 2:10 you get a dialog box that says "This is an enemy."

Some how I got the feeling that this is made for a person with fetus level of intelligence.

illuknisaa said:

In the first video at 2:10 you get a dialog box that says "This is an enemy."

Some how I got the feeling that this is made for a person with fetus level of intelligence.

Well, it was released on the iPad/iPhone after all. It must "just work".

Why the hate for rail shooters? Panzer Dragoon did it in the 90's just fine.

Also, if D-Touch is capable of having tolerable controls (same with a few other mobile FPS games), then there's nothing inherently wrong with the formula. Aside from the fact that phones lack real buttons now, but that's just the way it is at this point and even if some had it, support for those that don't would still require that evil virtual keypad.

Accelerometers are total shit and virtual keypads are mostly shit, but even the first few NES emulators I downloaded on my original droid had customizable controls. Later on they got the floating boxes, as compared to the fixed boxes for the thumbsticks/dpads; not sure which is worse, though, heh.

But you can't look at something like this as a full game; it's a minigame, as with most mobile games.