Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

How well would this build run with modern games?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-E/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($149.99 @ B&H)
Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($11.88 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $730.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-21 20:08 EST-0500

I would go for a quad core I5 at least. With a Dual core, you might be able to get new games to run at 720P on medium at less than 30fps, forget about 1080. Dual core was cutting edge 10 years ago, now it's standard for playing solitaire and using face-book. Which sucks... but put some money into the CPU now, and you won't have regrets later.

Jello said:

I would go for a quad core I5 at least. With a Dual core, you might be able to get new games to run at 720P on medium at less than 30fps, forget about 1080. Dual core was cutting edge 10 years ago, now it's standard for playing solitaire and using face-book. Which sucks... but put some money into the CPU now, and you won't have regrets later.

If you hold off a bit longer, you could probably save up some more money and buy a nicer rig that will age a little more gracefully. Technology usually democratizes in price as time goes on.

Job said:

If you hold off a bit longer, you could probably save up some more money and buy a nicer rig that will age a little more gracefully. Technology usually democratizes in price as time goes on.

I'll get a better CPU next year but for now, this is what I can afford with my budget.

Good news guys, I can get an i5-6400.

They are right. You don't want to skimp on the CPU. If you can wait just a little bit longer for more money, it's really worth it.

While the CPU does not matter nearly as much as the GPU, it still bottlenecks the system especially with extremely intensive games.

Sgt Ender said:

Good news guys, I can get an i5-6400.

That's better. ;) It's still 2.7GHz though, so you will suffer with some games but most should be okay. Anything made in the next 4 years or so though - I'd wonder.

Sgt Ender said:

Infinite Warfare is using a 3 year old engine, and it's made of linear corridors. And they're only recommending an I3 because even after abandoning iDtech3, they're still using an aging engine. They just put enough bells and whistles in it to make it look neat. Of course an I3 will run it just fine, because it's crap. It honestly still looks like Black Ops, choppy animation, bad textures, bad explosions. So yeah, it's a new AAA game, that looks like ass, so it plays nice on ancient tech. Whee.

Ender not to break your bubble but COD IW is not that demanding of a game, they are still using a heavily modified IdTech 3 engine, they can call it IW 6, IW 66666 but sill a 16 years old engine...

Jello said:

Infinite Warfare is using a 3 year old engine, and it's made of linear corridors. And they're only recommending an I3 because even after abandoning iDtech3, they're still using an aging engine. They just put enough bells and whistles in it to make it look neat. Of course an I3 will run it just fine, because it's crap. It honestly still looks like Black Ops, choppy animation, bad textures, bad explosions. So yeah, it's a new AAA game, that looks like ass, so it plays nice on ancient tech. Whee.

Still ID Tech 3 at it´s core. COD Games are extremly dated.... Hell MW3 looked like old tech....

Ender just try to get an I5.

PD: NVM i see that you are getting an I5 :)

Wild Dog said:

Ender not to break your bubble but COD IW is not that demanding of a game, they are still using a heavily modified IdTech 3 engine, they can call it IW 6, IW 66666 but sill a 16 years old engine...

Still ID Tech 3 at it´s core. COD Games are extremly dated.... Hell MW3 looked like old tech....

Ender just try to get an I5.

PD: NVM i see that you are getting an I5 :)

Yeah, looking at it again, they've called it IW engine since Cod 2. They've re-written it so many times that it's just a zombie engine based on iDtech 3, but it's still a 16 year old engine, despite how much they say it's not. So yeah, it's not a good benchmark. I lost interest in CoD when Infinity Ward was given the finger. Well, before that, CoD2's campaign was crap.

And to think I still love CoD and United Offensive, since the original Infinity Ward was made of the guys who made the original Medal of Honor and jumped ship.

Sgt Ender said:

Bumped the CPU up to an i5-6500. Also managed to upgrade a few other parts and stuff.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I think the jump to an i5-6500 was a good decision. It'll increase the price, but you'll be happy with it. Two years from now you won't be telling yourself "Shit, I should've paid the extra $100 two years ago".

It's an expensive machine, but if you can avoid buying another one for a few years it'll probably be worth it.

And it cannot be stressed enough: Do not go cheap on the CPU. If that needs to get replaced it will get ugly. Most other parts are easily replaceable, but the CPU often is not and will require some other parts to go with it.

I wouldn't stress out too much over the CPU. The GTX 1050Ti is around the same level as the GTX 770, and:

big whoop.

Jello said:

And to think I still love CoD and United Offensive, since the original Infinity Ward was made of the guys who made the original Medal of Honor and jumped ship.

I had enough of COD games, they managed to Kill the the franchise.
COD1: Amazing game, LOOK MA you can aim down sight!!!!
COD2: Nice!!!
COD3: Really?????
COD4: WOOOW, MODERN SETTINGS YES!!!! NO MORE WW2!!!
CODWAW: UHM NOT BAD, Zombie mode :)
CODMW2: Controversy?? Ok, Well it's Ok... bye bye server browser :(
CODBO: Well some fresh air, still same gameplay :(
CODMW3: Really???? The same gameplay, nothing, the same History...

From MW3 is just more and more generic shit..

For what it's worth, I'm rocking a 4-year-old AMD FX-8320 (paired with a GTX 980) and I get at least 60 fps across the board. 1080p, very high settings blah blah. This isn't to say you should cheap out on the CPU or invest in a dead socket, but its importance in games is far less than that of the GPU. As long as you don't pair a Titan with an i3 you should be fine.

Yeah as a rule CPU is less important in titles than GPU these days but that's not always the case and besides, a better CPU does prolong the life of any given build. I'd always favour the newest chipsets even if board selection is a little limited at the time. That way you do in theory get some options to upgrade the CPU later on if you really need to. Socket 1151 is quite established now and where you need to be, and if you do want to drop in an unlocked K model for example some time down the line, you can.

To compliment that I personally would get a board with reasonable OC support that will support the faster DDR4 speeds, though I concede it won't make much difference in games and you're at or over your budget limit already.

I'm pleased to see you've added in an SSD now since your post in Blogs, though.

Just a word on the case - check the reviews and listen to what people say about them, especially if this is your first build. A poor quality case can make the difference between enjoying a build and finding it a pain in the ass. Not to mention the hassle if things like cheap power buttons break within weeks. Far better to find a good value but high quality case for your shiny new components, than just a cheap one...