Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How will id handle a Hell on Earth sequel?

Linguica said:

I've said it before, but I hope they don't go with "Hell on Earth" for the potential sequel. I would much rather see a new idea.

Hell on The Moon.

"The Plutonia Experiment" needs to be a standalone game. Ghost towns, Aztec, jungles, canyons, military bases, and other weird magic stuff + killing demons with big guns

Linguica said:

I've said it before, but I hope they don't go with "Hell on Earth" for the potential sequel. I would much rather see a new idea.

And what would a new idea be in the Doom universe? Fighting demons on an alien, jungle planet?
Travelling to medieval times and fighting Demons back then?

Maybe I'm being shallow, but the only way I could realistically see Id continuing Doom 2016 and making it more "original" and interesting than anything they've done since, well, the original Doom really, would be a Hell on Earth scenario done right, and yes, I'm coming from the assumption that Doom 2 didn't do it right.

I am, however, genuinely curious to hear what new ideas the community could think up for a Doom sequel - just don't say "Other Human colonies in the Solar system" please, because that would just mean more techbases.

I think another Hell on Earth would be awesome. I keep imagining a heavily damaged Manhattan with no signs of human life. Wrecked cars, broken windows, no electricity, dead bodies everywhere...maybe a lone boombox playing "D_RUNNIN" would be a cool easter egg.

40oz said:

"The Plutonia Experiment" needs to be a standalone game. Ghost towns, Aztec, jungles, canyons, military bases, and other weird magic stuff + killing demons with big guns

+1 for this. These sort of abstract and organic level themes would make for a cool new Doom game. Maybe incorporate some occult Hexen vibes here and there. Hell on Earth could work too, provided they keep the levels desolate and scary.

I don't think DOOM 2 will be hell on earth. The way this game ended, it doesn't seem like Samuel is gonna start research again and BAM!! HELL ON EARTH!! There's gotta be that middle ground so we can see the lead up to earth being taken over DOOM 2 will likely be that lead up.

BluePineapple72 said:

I don't think DOOM 2 will be hell on earth. The way this game ended, it doesn't seem like Samuel is gonna start research again and BAM!! HELL ON EARTH!! There's gotta be that middle ground so we can see the lead up to earth being taken over DOOM 2 will likely be that lead up.

Why not? Most likely the DoomSlayer is in some sort of Slow time zone and hayden is waiting for the moment to bring him back in case of emergency. Hayden with his ego will wait to bring back the DoomSlayer until is too late and the Demon forces are wrecking havok on earth.

I'd like to see a sequel that starts in the middle of space, in a devastated space station. Then you have to free fall to Earth and you safely land in the middle of a burnt woodland area. You find a city and raise hell against hell. And then you enter hell once more.

Jet1337 said:

They should get rid of the possessed security. Those assholes kill the flow of the gameplay. It's like whenever I see them it's, "Oh god, not these annoying fucks...". Then I have to stop everything I'm doing and focus on them. If "boner killer" ever gets put in the dictionary, these guys would have a portrait there.

Or just nerf the fuck out of their HP finally. I love being able to mow them down in a single shotgun blast in Vanilla Doom so why bother making them ruin the flow with mid tier HP that requires 3-4 hits sometimes. Also pleeeeease get rid of the new Pinky mechanics. It makes no god damn sense that a creature has such a strong bone structure in its face that it with stand a huge volley of .50cal ammo from a fucking argent powered mini-gun. Most enemies up to hell knights and barons should stay the cannon fodder they always were because its for the best. It makes gameplay flow smoother and you can fill up areas with more enemies by default this way. Bullet sponges just aren't as fun as ID thinks they are.

I Like the monsters as is, especially the pinky. Though the pinky could have a tad less armor, and the Trooper could have a smidget less health. I'll admit the Enforcer fucking annoying, a turtle bully that has hitscan shotgun, and his shield regenerates....

TheWizard said:

I would love to see a city like something out of The Fifth Element. [...]

Ah yes, or something like in Eidos' Project Eden, especially lower, slummy parts of city.

RUSH said:

Yeah, the whole "Hell on Earth" thing is an iffy concept. Doom has always been a game of isolation. You're a lone survivor, battling against all odds. Throw earth into the equation and now you're looking at the stupid "resistance" concept that ruined the 2011 version of the game. It just isn't Doom. It lacks the hopelessness. There shouldn't be hordes of humans running around, or else it will just feel like Call of Duty but with demons. They had this problem already, and I don't think there is any way around it. I'd prefer to see id explore alternatives in the future.

spot on!! :)

StevieCybernetik said:

Or just nerf the fuck out of their HP finally. I love being able to mow them down in a single shotgun blast in Vanilla Doom so why bother making them ruin the flow with mid tier HP that requires 3-4 hits sometimes. Also pleeeeease get rid of the new Pinky mechanics. It makes no god damn sense that a creature has such a strong bone structure in its face that it with stand a huge volley of .50cal ammo from a fucking argent powered mini-gun. Most enemies up to hell knights and barons should stay the cannon fodder they always were because its for the best. It makes gameplay flow smoother and you can fill up areas with more enemies by default this way. Bullet sponges just aren't as fun as ID thinks they are.

Also, screw Revenants. Way too durable for something that is only a pile of bones, and moves so fast to boot. I am actually glad that they made Pinkies more tough, but not Revenants.

revinents are easier in doom 16 imo, I actually wish they would buff them, but I supose they make a good classic hell knight replacement.

40oz said:

You just described Serious Sam The Second Encounter. :)

Sgt Ender said:

I'd like to see a sequel that starts in the middle of space, in a devastated space station. Then you have to free fall to Earth and you safely land in the middle of a burnt woodland area. You find a city and raise hell against hell. And then you enter hell once more.

This sounds like a great idea to me.

Sgt Ender said:

This, but with frequent short journeys into Hell like in Doom 2016 rather than a lengthy Hell segment at the end - I quite liked that you were sent back and forth between the Techbase and the Hell theme in the latest game.

Oh and the Hell theme needs to evolve beyond the stone dungeon look.

Yeah, I feel like Doom 2016 really didn't get as "out there" as it could have, a sentiment I've shared before. It was like everybody was holding back and playing it safe. Yeah, it was plenty gory and atmospheric, but it wasn't as gothic or nightmarish as Hell has been portrayed in previous Doom games, or in numerous works of art.

GoatLord said:

Yeah, I feel like Doom 2016 really didn't get as "out there" as it could have, a sentiment I've shared before. It was like everybody was holding back and playing it safe. Yeah, it was plenty gory and atmospheric, but it wasn't as gothic or nightmarish as Hell has been portrayed in previous Doom games, or in numerous works of art.

I actually think the Hell levels are incredibly authentic. You can see the inspiration from classic Doom textures and structures all over the place but I do have to agree that it needed to evolve. It's like it never evolved beyond Kadingir Sanctum.

Nevertheless the FEEL is there.

Just to clarify, I do like the Doom 2016 Hell levels for their "Authenticity" as DooM_RO calls it (Never stop using that expression DooM_RO, I love it :D ), but I am one of those few people who thought the techbase levels were more varied than the Hell levels and it stuck with me as a minor disappointment (because Hell seriously should be cooler than the tired ol' techbases).

I just want to see a Hell that's more than just rocks and stones with some corpses and gore sprinkled about them.

That said, I do like all the nods to both Classic PC Doom and Doom 64 - keep those, please :D

Turn hell grey with skyscrapers.

dsm said:

Just to clarify, I do like the Doom 2016 Hell levels for their "Authenticity" as DooM_RO calls it (Never stop using that expression DooM_RO, I love it :D ), but I am one of those few people who thought the techbase levels were more varied than the Hell levels and it stuck with me as a minor disappointment (because Hell seriously should be cooler than the tired ol' techbases).

I just want to see a Hell that's more than just rocks and stones with some corpses and gore sprinkled about them.

That said, I do like all the nods to both Classic PC Doom and Doom 64 - keep those, please :D

I have to agree. It needed more variation. What's even more frustrating is that the multiplayer levels offer that variety.

DooM_RO said:

I have to agree. It needed more variation. What's even more frustrating is that the multiplayer levels offer that variety.

Haha true. I wanted to play Doom's multiplayer hell maps more than I did the campaign's maps. They look amazing.

Touchdown said:

Earth does NOT force you to have tons of human NPCs and resistance going on. They can be in hiding or evacuating (:cough:DOOM2:cough:). And really, if you're looking for hopelessness, what is more hopeless than witnessing a human extinction and devastated civilization? In fact, that ENCOURAGES isolation a lot more than just being on a distant planet.

Yep, for instance Shadow Warrior '13 has ruined streets with gory corpses everywhere and lots of demons. It doesn't have to be bogged down with NPCs, and if there is any resistance it should be portrayed as scattered and crushed, lacking morale, so that you are the true badass who has to make all the difference.

I don't know what they will do for the sequel, but I would love to see a variety of locations. Have the early chapters of Doom II set on Phobos and Deimos, than Doom Slayer somehow ends up on Earth in a futuristic city, similar to the design of Blade Runner but only in ruins with fire and smoke and demons running amok, and finally have the final chapters set in Hell.

dsm said:

Yeah, that's my complaint as well. I enjoyed the Hell levels, but the fire/brimstone/canyons/dungeons thing should have only been the opening to hell. It should have gotten gnarlier, weirder, more surreal and more unpredictable as it went on. Instead it just retained the classic Christian volcanic look and it never progressed beyond that.

GoatLord said:

Yeah, that's my complaint as well. I enjoyed the Hell levels, but the fire/brimstone/canyons/dungeons thing should have only been the opening to hell. It should have gotten gnarlier, weirder, more surreal and more unpredictable as it went on. Instead it just retained the classic Christian volcanic look and it never progressed beyond that.

Not sure it should only be the beginning. They actually seem to be inspired by Doom 2's version of Hell (or even Plutonia), where brown brick dungeons are uniquitous.

It should be that with the occasional wacky, surreal surprise but brick dungeons are essential.