Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elvisish

AFA Wolfenstein TC CO-OP?

Can't figure out how to get this to work? I tried -host and -join with the TC bat file and it just hangs waiting?

"C:\GAMES\gzdoom64\Wolfenstein 3D TC\Consolidated TC GZDoom.bat" -join 192.168.0.102" as a shortcut, for instance, doesn't work.

Open the console and type "connect 123.123.12.132". That always worked for me. If it doesn't, the problem is in your network, which might be blocking stuff.

Albertoni said:

Open the console and type "connect 123.123.12.132". That always worked for me. If it doesn't, the problem is in your network, which might be blocking stuff.

And how do I host?

Albertoni said:

Can you host from console?

elvisish said:

"C:\GAMES\gzdoom64\Wolfenstein 3D TC\Consolidated TC GZDoom.bat" -join 192.168.0.102" as a shortcut, for instance, doesn't work.

This is close. To host you just need to type "-host x" with the number being the number of players that will connect.

However, (G)zDoom isn't meant for multiplayer; you should go with Zandronum, which is not only easier to set up multiplayer games with, it also actually has a decent net code and won't lag to Hell during play. Zandronum is basically an MP-focus port which draws from the (G)zDoom and Skulltag. It has most of the same features as (G)zDoom, being only a small handful of versions behind it.

elvisish said:

I thought gzdoom always used master/slave connections?

P2P and Packet server.

Fonze said:

However, (G)zDoom isn't meant for multiplayer;

FYI that's just like saying vanilla Doom isn't meant for multiplayer, which is provably false. It just so happens it's built off a code base older than some of the people who'd use it.

Having said that, if the current devbuilds still function is different question. Last stable build is fine, though.

All I get is contacting host, and thats with the exact same version, udp port routed, both ip and computer name shortcuts and no software firewall?

Is the host actually waiting for players, and is it actually on the IP indicated? You also don't need to port forward for LAN games, seeing as a LAN is already inside your gateway (which is what I assume you are doing since your use of a LAN IP).
If this is actually an internet game, you cannot use a LAN address and must instead use your WAN/gateway address.

It's on LAN, I've just tried -host 2 and -join COMPUTER-PC with the real computer name and it's just waiting for players and contacting host in*******ely.

Can you ping COMPUTER-PC at all? All ZDoom needs is to pass through a single 1 byte UDP packet to the host machine (pretty much the most basic thing on a network), so if it's failing to do even that, there's something not quite configured correctly with your network.

Side note that ZDoom will automatically change the port from 5029 UDP to something else on the host machine if something else already has that bound. Check the startup log for anything like that.

Edward850 said:

FYI that's just like saying vanilla Doom isn't meant for multiplayer, which is provably false.

Edward, you're a smart guy, but no it isn't and go ahead. Unless the wording of that is hinting at merely the "vanilla Doom isn't meant for multiplayer," which is certainly false and a claim I would never make because it's common knowledge Romero loved to use his happy-accident BFG in DMs when they were supposed to be building the game.

Vanilla was built with MP in mind and worked quite well for its time. A time when the internet was just you connecting your computer directly to some guy's somewhere else in the world. Also, vanilla isn't exactly "actively maintained" like (G)zDoom, which is totally damning for the ridiculous point you're trying to make because "if (G)zDoom were built to be MP-friendly, then why wouldn't they update an old net code?" (G)zDoom supports playing multiplayer sessions, but doesn't actively support MP. If they did, their net code would be better. If they did, there would be (G)zDoom servers to speak of. If they did, they could potentially rival Zandronum for the largest MP base, due to being technically ahead on features (for SP; Zand has miles more MP features), but to do all of this would be a waste of time for them, as they want to expand in other directions, all related to SP, which is why they've never done it. (G)zDoom focuses on trying to be the most advanced, most compatible, most user-friendly port there is for single player.

To the OP: for MP, absolutely go with Zand over (G)zDoom.

We clearly have two very different definitions of what the words "meant for" means, because nothing you said is actually relavant to ZDoom's multiplayer support.
Although in hindsight I'm not even sure why I bother pointing that out, seeing as I washed my hands of that problem anyway. :V

Edward850 said:

Can you ping COMPUTER-PC at all? All ZDoom needs is to pass through a single 1 byte UDP packet to the host machine (pretty much the most basic thing on a network), so if it's failing to do even that, there's something not quite configured correctly with your network.

Side note that ZDoom will automatically change the port from 5029 UDP to something else on the host machine if something else already has that bound. Check the startup log for anything like that.

All it says in the startup text is "console player number 0" and checking network status, and yes ping works. Can I Zandrum AFA WOlfenstein TC?