Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeffo2448

Name one thing Doom 16 is missing

What I meant by lack of custom content, I meant custom textures, models, and sound files. Why can't id make the game as moddable as Fallout 4? That's all I want.

I suspect the pistol's primary fire was made useless specifically to motivate people to not run out of ammo for the better guns and to use the charged shot secondary mode whenever possible.

I do like the charged shot mode - great for clearing out possessed before entering an arena without wasting ammo.

Pistol was always just a last resort in the series. I think if it wasn't for the comical "pew-pew" sounds, people might actually be less upset with the handgun's overall feel.

TAPETRVE said:

I think if it wasn't for the comical "pew-pew" sounds, people might actually be less upset with the handgun's overall feel.

That I definitely agree with - maybe they should have made it sound more like an updated version of the Quake 2 blaster and less like that pathetic Quake 4 version of the same weapon.

I will mention, however, that I do like the subtle splicing in of a distant sniper rifle shot (more pronounced when using the charged shot) - it's just a shame that the primary "energy shot" sound used is so non-deadly sounding.

Batelli_1605 said:

More maps aswell, the game is just way too short.

It needed to be about half UAC, half hell. It was only like a fourth hell.

GoatLord said:

It needed to be about half UAC, half hell. It was only like a fourth hell.

This by far. After my initial NM playthrough, Hell maps were the ones I found myself revisiting the most. I just so thoroughly loved everything about them compared to the UAC tech bases.

I kinda miss chaingunners and I was hoping to see cyber revenants with better missiles, the current ones feel a lot less strong than they should be.

Other than that doom 2016 felt like a complete game. Now that they have all their tools and base game assets done I'm very hopeful for the future for this iteration.

I wanted to see hell creeping into UAC more. When will id remember that OG Doom has this seamless transition into hell? Happens gradually throughout E1, 2, and 3. In fact every classic Doom game does this, including Doom 2 and Doom 64.

GoatLord said:

I wanted to see hell creeping into UAC more. When will id remember that OG Doom has this seamless transition into hell? Happens gradually throughout E1, 2, and 3. In fact every classic Doom game does this, including Doom 2 and Doom 64.

Doom 3 did it the best. By the time you return from hell parts of the UAC base are basically a mini-hell in and of itself. It makes it all the more odd that nobody asked questions once the marines saved the player at the end of the game. I mean, nobody asked any kind of questions?

"Marine 1: Ugh, why is it that there are bloody pentagrams and hellish architecture all over the place?

Marine 2: Dunno, magic?"

The Destroyed Argent Facility map comes pretty close at times, though it could've been a lot more abstract.

hardcore_gamer said:

Doom 3 did it the best. By the time you return from hell parts of the UAC base are basically a mini-hell in and of itself. It makes it all the more odd that nobody asked questions once the marines saved the player at the end of the game. I mean, nobody asked any kind of questions?

"Marine 1: Ugh, why is it that there are bloody pentagrams and hellish architecture all over the place?

Marine 2: Dunno, magic?"

I think that all hellish corruption in UAC Mars base receded once Doomguy #3 closed the Hellhole at the end of the game. Only the dead bodies and other traces of slaughter remained, but nothing of inherently demonic origin. That is why Marines seen in the outro are so confused about the cause of the mess (and the Doomguy was not going to tell them either, because... well, guess).

AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

No Partial blur powerup!

its in the multiplayer, even looks like the old one which I like, I feel most of the new powerups lack the unique artistic and power feel of the old ones.

Isn't the only returning one from 1 and 2, other than Blursphere, Berserk? Because if you ask me, extreme damage reduction + assured salsafication is an immediate improvement over the blockmap bug making monsters unhittable.

there's invulnerability.

does megahealth count as a megasphere?

on that note, 'megahealth' is such a dumb name. megasphere sounds much more WAY PAST COOL CHILI DOGS.

Arachnotrons
Lava in hell (seriously, there is none, how come?!)

Also like some have said already, it's a shame they didn't go the tech-hell route like the original games did. Any tech additions to demons are human made, Hell itself has no modern technology. It was actually a cool hybrid concept in 1993 and way ahead of its time, a shame they toned this down.

GoatLord said:

Doom 2 is practically never full-on Hellish like Inferno was. Even the last third barely feels like Inferno, with the single exception being The Spirit World - and that level is probably the most disturbing one out of the classics. In D2TWiD the only truly Hellish level is The Crucible, and that feels more like episode 4 than 3 anyway.

I may have to go back and replay Doom 2 to see what you mean. I remember how in the setup the maps were divided from 1-30 and labeled as "Starport," "City" and "Hell" if I recall, meaning the last 10 maps were intended to be hell-themed. But now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of those last 10 maps seem like a hell/city hybrid.

Xfing said:

I still maintain the assumption that this Hell is a post-apocalyptic wasteland that has pretty much lost all of its fire after Doomguy blew up the place (and the UAC sapping their remaining fossil fuels probably doesn't help).

Creaphis said:

This is too funny for words! I love it and prefer it to the original effects from this year's game. I especially love the Mario jumping sounds, and the cartoon-character running sound. Has the game actually been fully modded this way? I want to play it this way soooooooo badly!

Xfing said:

[...]

Pretty sure there's a bit of lava, or some other really hot, orange'y liquid in Argent D'Nur - you have these lava falls and crevices (they don't hurt for some reason).

Also like some have said already, it's a shame they didn't go the tech-hell route like the original games did. Any tech additions to demons are human made, Hell itself has no modern technology. It was actually a cool hybrid concept in 1993 and way ahead of its time, a shame they toned this down.

I would have liked to see something like that to add spice to the overwhelming medieval look Hell 2016 has.
I always did like the notion that the demons subvert/corrupt Human(/alien) tech and it's a shame we didn't see much of that in Doom 2016 (beyond the Possessed Soldiers having their plasma rifles "melted" into their skin and firing red argent plasma instead of blue).

Doom 16 (is that really a name?) is missing the same thing that Doom 3 is missing: water. Where is the water in the labs? There was no trace whatsoever in either game, it was as if the engine could not do liquids of any kind, and I know that id Tech 4 deserved liquids.

If you're asking why there'd be water on Mars, then OG (what does that mean?) Doom had water, lava and slime, even if you couldn't swim in them but just stand on top of them.

Foebane72 said:

Doom 16 (is that really a name?) is missing the same thing that Doom 3 is missing: water. Where is the water in the labs? There was no trace whatsoever in either game, it was as if the engine could not do liquids of any kind, and I know that id Tech 4 deserved liquids.

If you're asking why there'd be water on Mars, then OG (what does that mean?) Doom had water, lava and slime, even if you couldn't swim in them but just stand on top of them.

That's an excellent point - I too remember being disappointed about the absence of liquids you could swim in in Doom 3 (it felt rather lazy) and this lingering disappointment numbed me to the fact that Doom 2016 didn't have it either, but it's still a drawback in gameplay (no underwater passages to explore).

The implied excuse that Mars has no water because it's a dusty planet doesn't work, because Humans work and live there for extended periods of time; you'd need clean water to drink, shower in, prepare food and probably loads of other day-to-day operations.
Not having some kind of water treatment facilities on Mars when you've got +60.000 people working there does seem a little odd.

dsm said:

That's an excellent point - I too remember being disappointed about the absence of liquids you could swim in in Doom 3 (it felt rather lazy) and this lingering disappointment numbed me to the fact that Doom 2016 didn't have it either, but it's still a drawback in gameplay (no underwater passages to explore).

The implied excuse that Mars has no water because it's a dusty planet doesn't work, because Humans work and live there for extended periods of time; you'd need clean water to drink, shower in, prepare food and probably loads of other day-to-day operations.
Not having some kind of water treatment facilities on Mars when you've got +60.000 people working there does seem a little odd.

The original Doom had water, another argument against the whole "Mars has no water" thing :)