Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geX

Noclip Documentary: DOOM Resurrected

Really surreal that we're already getting the story behind this game's development, and it's surprising just how similar some of the assets shown in that short bit of scrapped prototype gameplay looked compared to the final game. As interesting as finally seeing more of the prototype will be, I'm also really curious about the earlyish stages of the game post-reboot, during the time they were "trimming the fat". Both the echo device's intended function and reason for removal remain a mystery, despite being presented front-and-center during the E3 reveal.

Wow, that 3sec clip of the cancelled version of DOOM4 was enough to make me want to play it.

Also: "How about we announce it on a fucking megaphone that we need volunteers for the Revenant program?"

Sure, if you want it to be fucking stupid.

Damn that id tech 5 doom iteration looks interesting...I mean 3 sec of real gameplay. I still disagree with all this mars setting decision(((

Was that Call of Doom gameplay? I've never seen it before, it actually looks interesting. Same for that strange white city level, maybe it's used for testing out the game? Looks like id had planned for glory kills with the guns.

Anyways looks really neat, hope to watch it when i get the chance.

I remember seeing footage of that version before and screenshots. Couldn't believe how terrible it looked. Never saw the weird baby head demon creatures, though. When you think of it, it just looked like more of the same grossness and washed out colours of Doom 3. I'm glad they changed. I'm not curious at all what it was going to be. I much prefer the version we have now. Good move, id.

Jaxxoon R said:

That's... the point?

Yes and that's the problem. I know I'm in the minority but I'll never agree that the tone they have in DOOM4 is the DOOM. Having played DOOM since the shareware I've never thought of it as a silly comic book thing that's not supposed to be taken seriously at all.

Touchdown said:

Yes and that's the problem. I know I'm in the minority but I'll never agree that the tone they have in DOOM4 is the DOOM. Having played DOOM since the shareware I've never thought of it as a silly comic book thing that's not supposed to be taken seriously at all.

You are quite late on that complaint.

Voros said:

Same for that strange white city level, maybe it's used for testing out the game?

You talking about the one where he started beating the monsters with his guns? That was an animated cinematic they did to pitch the concept of the game's melee system.

O Dweyer created the best videos at gamespot with "the point". This videos are all going to be really fucking good.

Touchdown said:

Sure, if you want it to be fucking stupid.

New doom is pretty stupid, probably even stupider than the original games

like god created you to pucnh demons. And that's why that game is so good.

I can't believe how many people here hold so much malice and derision for the new Doom and that you're not actually happy that it's so unlike every other modern shooter. Did you really want a clone of what's out there now? Really? (inbe4 Cynical says it's a clone of SS and PK)

I guess it's true you just can't 100% please fans.

Hugo seems like a really cool guy. They all do. Not really desk-smashing, pizza-eating supernerds but still likeable!

MusicallyInspired said:

I can't believe how many people here hold so much malice and derision for the new Doom and that you're not actually happy that it's so unlike every other modern shooter. Did you really want a clone of what's out there now? Really? (inbe4 Cynical says it's a clone of SS and PK)

I guess it's true you just can't 100% please fans.

Since I'm pretty sure you're talking about me, I'd just like to point you to my impressions of DOOM4 that I posted in the review thread. Then you can stop jumping to silly conclusions. But just in case I'll give you a short version: I love DOOM4 and played over a 100h of it but I'm disappointed with its vibe and atmosphere. That doesn't mean I'm holding 'malice and derision' for it.

Touchdown said:

Since I'm pretty sure you're talking about me, I'd just like to point you to my impressions of DOOM4 that I posted in the review thread. Then you can stop jumping to silly conclusions. But just in case I'll give you a short version: I love DOOM4 and played over a 100h of it but I'm disappointed with its vibe and atmosphere. That doesn't mean I'm holding 'malice and derision' for it.

I pretty much share your feelings.

I'm not a fanboy. Doom isn't even my favourite series. I think Duke is far better than Doom or Quake for that matter. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Doom 4. It turned my head on a series I was always "meh" with. I'm really enjoying it and I now consider it better than Duke3D itself. I certainly think it's better than the original Doom. That is, far more fun.

This looks very interesting indeed.
I hope they go into the warts and all detail as to why it was in development hell for so long.

I can't believe how many people here hold so much malice and derision for the new Doom and that you're not actually happy that it's so unlike every other modern shooter. Did you really want a clone of what's out there now?

Doom 4 is more generic than Ziggurat, Dying Light, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam 3, Tower of Guns, Heavy Bullets, Betrayer, Borderlands, Rust, WASTED... The list goes on. Have you considered it could just be you're not very well aware of the diversity of shooters out there, while people you complain about may be and therefore judge Doom 4 by different standards than yours?

I'm talking the Battlefields, Call of Duty's, and other military shooters. But I suppose those aren't (thankfully) the norm that they once were anymore. Everything's certainly getting more stylized. However, Doom 4 stands out from them all.