Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stafelloni

Space Trucker - Stealing assets from other fps games

Here's a Reddit thread that talks about it.

Notably, Space Trucker has ripped assets from TekWar, Strife, Half-Life and, Blood. And unfortunately, possibly from other Doom's modders and community creations as well, Brutal Doom being the most noticeable.

Also, they used DoomNukem's sprites at one point, presumed during the alpha stage.

Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Let this be a good example of how NOT to make a video game for profit!

What happens now? Petition Steam to have it pulled? Class action lawsuit? Raise public awareness that the game exists?

I thought this thread would pertain to the Space Truckers game from the 90s. Its sure from the 90s alright by the look of it :-)

You'd think being in the year 2016 people wouldn't be this stupid to try something like this still, as everyone would undoubtedly notice.

Especially the fucking Doom community.

The weapon sprites alone are shit, turning me off. AND the fact they stole so many things for this, is sad.
Haven't they heard of Freedoom before?

Ughhh this stuff drives me crazy. At least he's getting exposed.

what a bunch of assholes.
I mean, even the Grezzo 2 guy put his work FREE, and those people grab even money from stolen assets? WTF?

I have noticed a lot of people are speaking of how it ripped sounds from other games but isn't it common knowledge that some of these sounds come from sound libraries?

Avoozl said:

I have noticed a lot of people are speaking of how it ripped sounds from other games but isn't it common knowledge that some of these sounds come from sound libraries?

If you don't purchase a license to use the sound library, you can't legally use sounds from it. It's not a free-for-all.

I have a friend with a small game not even released yet that was hit with 2 cease and desists. 1 for the name, 1 for a monster that looks like another monster. I can imagine on Cyber Monday that Space Trucker will be hit with the same things. Then again they need to comply. I wonder who gets sued in this case. Do you go after "We love wolves" for being the publisher or the 2 devs? Shit rolls downhill so if the publisher gets sued, the developer is next. Looks like the developers don't have a company.

I'm surprised one dev has 3 games released and the publisher has 2 games released. It looks like people were mixed on the other 2 released games from the developers.

There was also someone that made a Mugen fighter and got it Greenlit using all sorts of Simpson's characters.

Big surprise, this kind of stuff gets onto the Steam store all the time. They really have no quality control beyond the hundred bucks to get it on Greenlight and enough votes on Greenlight to get it on the store.

Bloodshedder said:

If you don't purchase a license to use the sound library, you can't legally use sounds from it. It's not a free-for-all.

Yes I already understand this, but what I mean is people are crediting the games for those sound library sounds which gives the impression that they don't realize they are initially owned by the sound library creators/owners rather than the actual game creators.

However there is not yet any evidence to indicate that they didn't actually acquire licenses for the sounds from the sound library creators/owners other than the assumption that they stole them like all the other stolen game assets.

Avoozl said:

Yes I already understand this, but what I mean is people are crediting the games for those sound library sounds which gives the impression that they don't realize they are initially owned by the sound library creators/owners rather than the actual game creators.

However there is not yet any evidence to indicate that they didn't actually acquire licenses for the sounds from the sound library creators/owners other than the assumption that they stole them like all the other stolen game assets.

In the vast majority of cases they didn't even rename the files - they just converted them from their original format to Ogg Vorbis;

Urizen said:

In the vast majority of cases they didn't even rename the files - they just converted them from their original format to Ogg Vorbis;

http://i.imgur.com/DxLyWVj.jpg

Well that certainly explains everything then, it was pretty dumb of them to not even archive the sounds along with an encrypted format.

Oh, they also ripped off Valve games? Brillian mind, the creator of this...

Who remembers that game Limbo of the Lost that stole assets from games like Oblivion, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and (ironically) Thief.

Although it is a rip off of other games, it looks kinda fun. But there's no way I'd pay $19.99 for it when I can play Brutal Doom for free.

$20 is questionable, but maybe they expect it will be on sale for $1. Otherwise people still have to pay $20 to cover it on a Youtube video about how the game is stealing assets. Then again they can record 15 minutes of footage and get a refund.

Perhaps the developer needs to charge $20 because of the license fees for the assets... Maybe they're hiding under parody, fair use or journalism to use the visuals and images.

I did the same as the developers with assets and played the game. Oh boy it sucks big time... First time you hear are sounds from HL.... The gameplay is very very shitty. Not even fun.

I think they also took sprites from Freedoom.

I'm really confused as to why the FP graphics are so bad. Still, I managed to recognize the Chasm: The Rift mega-destroyer in one screenshot. That's an odd one to pull. I do remember seeing converted sprites show up on Realm 667, but only in the forums. It was never approved for the Armory.