Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

I can't finish Doom 2, it's boring

I enjoy the other Dooms but I only got halfway through Doom 2, the vanilla game isn't that interesting. Can somebody help me please with it? Am I alone on this thing Doomworld?

You could always try some gameplay mods to spice up the experience. I haven't played through an IWAD vanilla in a long time.

It's funny that Doom 2 added a lot of good content to the game(SSG, more challenging monsters, etc), but when it comes to maps it's definitely the weakest of the official Iwads. I don't hate them, but agree with you in that they're kind of boring(specially after playing through them 1000 times).

Overall I think Doom 2 is fun. It starts to drag in places though (the overly large and sometimes confusing city maps). Also MAP19: The Citadel had me pretty stumped initially. Really odd how they make you look for a hidden door in the wall. A secret shouldn't be required to beat a level. Some gimmicky design choices as well, like Tricks and Traps, Barrels O Fun and Nirvana, and of course The Chasm...

These days I can only play through the first few levels before getting bored of Doom II. The SSG and the added monsters are nice though. But there is plenty of good wads/mods to play.

Can't.. or won't?

Think of it like this, you could remind yourself that you could be playing Evilution every time you start to get bored.

Uninteresting in what way and where have you gotten to? Worth sticking it out through the poorer (imo) 21-25 map slots, cause 26-29 are good fun that make up for the meh maps beforehand.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

it's definitely the weakest of the official Iwads.

TNT would like to have a word

What you can do is watch a TAS speedrun of it, it's only 14 minutes. After that decide if you're interested in seeing the stuff that the player in the demo has skipped.

I don't think there's any obligation to beat the iwad if you're not having fun - if it gets to that stage, there's really no point.

(Also yay another thread where I get to post my obligatory "Doom 2 has the best balance of challenge and exploration" line! Even I wont deny that maps 21, 22 and 24 are shitty duds, though.)

If you really don't like the majority of the levels in the default Doom 2 IWAD, I'd suggest you go for D2TWID. I myself find the levels here to be better than the original ones found in Doom 2.

eh. i found myself a bit bored/annoyed by D2TWID and DTWID, personally. the best thing about the Doom 2 one was the secret levels. i don't play through Doom 2 a lot, but i like it. i tend to test it with most gameplay mods on my first try, and i got almost through half of the IWAD when i played it with Argent a few days ago.

AS a matter of fact, if you really want enjoyment far more hardcore and flashier than Brutal Doom, I would recommend Complex Doom LCA edition.

I'm just gonna go on air and say that IWADs and easy 90's stuff is more enjoyable with your favourite gameplay mod. Hell, I'm having fun playing Icarus, of all things, with D4D and there's no way in heck I'd be playing that wad vanilla.

TNT has one of my favourite map, Stronghold :D

Sod off, guys, it's a good megawad.

it's a flawed megawad, just like how Doom 2 is a flawed megawad. they both have good maps, and bad maps. i guess TNT is slightly more interesting to play through though, if only because of the new music.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

Can somebody help me please with it? Am I alone on this thing Doomworld?

You're not alone on this thing.

If you don't like it and you want to like it, you're either going to have to change your approach or your perspective. That said, I played through Doom2 again (unmodified) a couple weeks ago and had a good time with it by adding the challenge of "pistol start, no saves". If you've played through TNT and Plutonia at this point you may simply find Doom2 too easy, in which case such a challenge may benefit the experience. You could also try it on Nightmare! to change it up.

It's not as though leaving Doom2 unfinished (or never having played it at all) makes you a lesser Doomworld member. The WADs & Mods area is the most active part of these forums for a reason: people enjoy Doom in many, many different ways. The reason that Doom2 is the de-facto boilerplate for map-only changes is because the only alternative would be Doom1, and that only gives mappers less to work with.

Thanks for purchasing DOOM II. We hope you have as much fun playing it as we had making it. If you don't, then something is really wrong with you and you're different and strange. Your friends think DOOM II is great.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I enjoy the other Dooms but I only got halfway through Doom 2, the vanilla game isn't that interesting. Can somebody help me please with it? Am I alone on this thing Doomworld?

Or maybe you're stuck in MAP15, unable to get to the key (hey, you did say halfway). First time playing it I cheated, because I thought the map is broken.

Is Map15 that city map with all the building drops to progress? It has the invisibility spheres. That map is total BS.

Sorta interesting though

Try pistol starting the levels. As silly as it sounds for a commercial product Doom II isn't optomised for continuous play.

MinerOfWorlds said:

In my opinion TNT was better then doom 2 in every way.

Metal. Habitat. Mount pain. Any E3 map really. Then you have the medicore shit like Crater or shipping\respawning. Tons of MSPaint textures. You serious or just blanking out the shitty parts?

rileymartin said:

It's not optimized for pistol start play either, regardless of what Sandy said.

Get killed too often?