• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: UAC Ultra

December, 2016

>>> Download UAC Ultra <<<

Leaderboard & Streaming Schedule

1. # Survived [01:14:35] Bloodite Krypto - Absolutely vicious, no-holds-barred performance. Calling all Thracian gladiators...!
  2. # Survived [01:17:56] PjSpartacus - Argh, all of three minutes short! Some nervous moments at the end, but a powerhouse performance.
  3. # Survived [01:36:34] 40oz - When you're the master of your own domain, the heat is ON. Nicely done, boss. Pay attention, Jimmy!
  4. # Survived [01:39:12] JCD - Makes it look easy. Sets the pace early and rarely gets caught out. Welcome aboard, JCD.
  5. # Survived [01:42:18] Alfonzo - What sort of a name is Medicine Hat for a settlement, anyway? A suitably inferior nomenclature.
  6. # Survived [01:48:09] WH-Wilou84 - Almost makes a meal of it on Map10, but that's the extent of it. He's racking up a good record, is WH!
  7. # Map10: Veinen - Went all-out with the coffee machine on THE SKAGWAY. Paid the price in barrels.
  8. # Map10: Octavarium - Slid into a barrage of snot down THE SKAGWAY.
  9. # Map10: an_mutt - GET SKAG, and the ledger reads even.
  10. # Map09: Archi - This is why he doesn't want to play Doom anymore.
    Spoiler

11. # Map09: Suitepee - Could this be the performance that wins John the Britbowl? Not if the RNG has anything to say about it!
  12. # Map08: NoisyVelvet - Lift goes up, lift goes down. Noisy goes up... ;)
  13. # Map06: Anima Zero - rofl this is a vanilla brain fade. Get the highlights reel!
  14. # Map05: Dime - Lightning fast. Got caught with his pants down and the chaingun around his ankles.
  15. # Map05: DaIcemann76 - Resting up in an IceBath76 after a revenant encounter.
  16. # Map04: Bashe - A quintessential squishy.
  17. # Map03: Katamori - Ultimate Frisbee try-outs? Good catch.
  18. # Map03: Eris Falling - Mancubus knows how to Bend it Like Beckham. Textbook engine buggery.
  19. # Map03: rehelekretep - Absolutely fucking COOKED. Check out the secret agent Suitepee stream for textbook archvile evasion.
  20. # Map03: Zulk-RS - Zoned out, and the revenant fireball zoned in.
  21. # Map02: Ancalagon - Top performer falls early to a gangbang of bones and hellknights.
  22. # Map02: cannonball - Back-doored by a hellknight after a bony altercation.
  23. # Map02: The_Trigger - Met his match with a Trigger_Happy revenant.
  24. # Map02: Voros - Those bony bastards are killing all the lesser folk! This is UAC Discrimination, exhibit A!
  25. # Map02: NewNooM - Caught between a hellknight and a dangerous rationale.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

*** WARNING ***: This mapset has DEATH EXITS. Be sure to avoid restarting the level by accident, as it will terminate your run!

In December 2016 the DWIronman League dies to UAC Ultra -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)), a Super Rancid composition of black metal and decrepit subterra that is decidedly lacking in baubles and tinsel but still testing enough for the battle-hardened choir boy. There are 11 maps and a 1011 ways to die, so put away the fat suit and get booted: Christmas is cancelled.
Spoiler

• One attempt per megawad/mapset. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Heh, so much for that single map idea :p

inb4 some poor sod playing blind...

Spoiler

...dies on the damaging floors at the start of map01

In so far as 2016 can be considered a 'season' (next year will feature a year-long leaderboard to help put the league in League), there are some dramatic subplots that have been slowly developing over the second half of the year, some of which could come to a head in this here final confrontation. Who of DotW and Bloodite Krypto will take home the chocolates? Will suitepee's goading of an_mutt come back to haunt him? - it's three-for-two in the series!

So much drama. It's about to get ULTRA.

Okay I'll for sure be taking a crack at this as I've played this set multiple times through.

Won't be streaming though on account of, uh, Perth. Been especially craptastic lately so I have figure out whether I'm gonna have a Twitch career at all, but until then I'll do a demo run of this. Salty commentary will have to wait until next year probably.

Welp this is a hilarious coincidence, you do realize this was the last pick for TNS? So certain participants already have a distinct advantage ;D

Awesome choice though, I was anticipating either A) Christmas themed or B) Something completely different, with option A actually being Whitemare 2 :P as that's the only christmas themed wad I could think of as being challenging and fun to play. You could put H2H-Xmas in the same region, but that's an old 90's wad and it shows in it's design and wouldn't exactly be stellar material to play.

Ah, I have of course played this one, but only once before, back when it was more or less new. I reckon I'll be satisfied with simply managing to not die this go-round.

*cue rollerskating minotaur PTSD*

Bloodite Krypto said:

Welp this is a hilarious coincidence, you do realize this was the last pick for TNS? So certain participants already have a distinct advantage ;D

Legend has it I'm still in MAP10, waiting to accidentally ruin good ironman runs by blowing up players :(

Actually it turned out those were nothing to do with me, rofl.
Anyway, I'll be doing my run either this afternoon or tuesday I expect.

I'd really like to jump in one of these but I think I would have a big head start on this wad considering I did a D2All UV-max. I just found out about the ironman league a few days ago and I was thinking this wad would be perfect.

By all means give us what for! I'm sure the recurring winners will relish the competition and it's always great fun discovering new talent... even if it means I find myself another rung down on the ladder by the end of the month.

Yet another wad I've played before! Perhaps this time I can finally finish the whole thing... (mainly I'll be happy just beating an_mutt)

Supreme brain fade, Anima. This will make fine material for the celebratory end-of-year montage.

...In other important news, UAC Ultra marks the first mapset we've come across to use a death exit (on MAP06). I'm wondering what people's stance is regarding the accidental restarting of a map between death and tally screen. Should the run be forfeit, or would the replaying of the entire level serve as a suitable compromise? Perhaps the player should be allowed simply to CLEV to the next map? My inclination is with the player being disqualified, as it would eliminate any gray area, situations like "yes I was killed by a monster while running to the exit but my corpse would have triggered the walkover line if I hadn't restarted!" etc..

Eris Falling said:

Actually it turned out those were nothing to do with me, rofl.

I meant when you or the mysterious forces of TNS assassinated me with those series of explosions :<

PjSpartacus said:

I'd really like to jump in one of these but I think I would have a big head start on this wad considering I did a D2All UV-max.

You did that run a while back though, are you saying you have a photographic memory and remember the entire wad in perfect microscopic detail? :O

Alfonzo said:

Supreme brain fade, Anima. This will make fine material for the celebratory end-of-year montage.

Very apt for the man who started a highlights craze!

Krypto: alright yeah those were me (sorry!) I didn't realise that vertical blast bullshit applied in zdaemon, heh

DEAD: MAP08

prboom-plus.exe -file .\uacultra.wad -record noisy.uacultra.lmp -skill 4
Spoiler

map 07 is gonna fuck people up and give them nightmares, with those things that came out in the end

I used the Slow and Steady Wins The Race strategy. It worked pretty well. Also went for BFG secret. I guess it helped at the end of map06. (sorry for boring demo tho)

edit: blindish run (i think i played up to map02 a long time ago, but i didn't remember much.)

I forgot to do perdition's gate crap..... Alfonzo gets a default win. Whats the score alf?

Here is my own attempt. Shamefully died on map 02 because of suitepee's favorite monster of all time :(

Anyhow, for specifics:

Demo recorded under prboom+ 2.5.1.4 (cl9 I think) and played back on glboom.

I just checked the automap hence the slight stop near the middle of the vid (I did not save) and since prboom+ doesn't show the automap when playing a demo back well, it registered as a stop heh.

NoisyVelvet said:

DEAD: MAP08

prboom-plus.exe -file .\uacultra.wad -record noisy.uacultra.lmp -skill 4
Spoiler

map 07 is gonna fuck people up and give them nightmares, with those things that came out in the end

I used the Slow and Steady Wins The Race strategy. It worked pretty well. Also went for BFG secret. I guess it helped at the end of map06. (sorry for boring demo tho)

edit: blindish run (i think i played up to map02 a long time ago, but i didn't remember much.)

noisyvelvet i think you did this last month also - i think you should be setting a complevel in your cmd line - you may encounter some bugs/incompatibilities if not.

rehelekretep said:

noisyvelvet i think you did this last month also - i think you should be setting a complevel in your cmd line - you may encounter some bugs/incompatibilities if not.

I should at least get into the habit of it. i went with the default last time because i knew it had the option of saving and reloading mid-demo, without thinking much into it (in case I needed to take a break at map 10 or so). I accidently disregarded the fact that last month was complevel 2. I think this month it's fine, but you're right that I should get into the habit of typing it out.