Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

Newgothic Movement 2 - Public Beta

Just finished this tonight, I enjoyed it. If you liked NGM1 then definitely check this out, expect increased difficulty.

So we've been looking over a bunch of feedback and vods on twitch etc and we've got a second beta version done, changelog in spoilers if I can do it correctly. But big news is, it's zdaemon compatible, according to Archi. Idk, I don't use it much.

https://www.mediafire.com/?5f23a27r00gd78x

Spoiler

-- map 2 -- changed teleporter puzzle to be a puzzle
-- map 3 -- an archie has block mob lines around it now
-- Map 7 -- lift fight switches only open after hitting the blue key switch, cause the line is moved into the door instead of attached to the 1st switch
-- map 8 -- cheese removed
-- Map 9 -- Threw some decorative shit out the outer area, put 1 invuln in the center, fixed a teleporter target in the last fight
-- Map 11 -- Switched shotgunner with a shotgun, which is now moved to the beginning
-- map 12 -- cheese removed
-- map 13 -- floor of water section changed
-- Map 15 -- Fixed glaring HoM in sector 7440
-- Map 16 -- removed extra mob spawn targets that were causing issues, brightened some switches

Maps 15 and 31 are not compatible with ZDaemon though, sorry. Other maps launch in ZDaemon and work.

Just posting to say this wad is awesome. If I'm not having a great time blasting monsters, I'm laughing at how mercilessly I got demolished. That's a great balance to achieve-- that feeling where losing and replaying the map again can be more fun than winning and moving on to the next one.

Some problems with ng2 beta 2.1

I'm using zdoom2.8.1

map15 - Apparently a hom was removed which I never noticed in the 2.0 release. Now I can see a gigantic hom effect in 2.1 by starting the map and turning 180 degrees to look at the two cyberdemons outside.

map31 - I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the 2.0 or not but in 2.1 the cyberdemons become invisible when you get close to them.

It's a midi version of Primo Victoria by Sabaton, I don't remember where I found it. Eventually I'll make a list of what each midi is, if I can remember.

I should also note that map16 is basically unplayable. Even on a beefy computer such as my own I'm afraid. A shame really, I liked what I was seeing. Using GZDoom mind.

This is great. There is a multiplayer issue on map01 though at the start. If you die and respawn again, you are trapped in the room at the start. The door won't open.

Major Cooke said:

I should also note that map16 is basically unplayable. Even on a beefy computer such as my own I'm afraid. A shame really, I liked what I was seeing. Using GZDoom mind.

Try GLBoom+, it's much better if you want to play wads for Boom/Vanilla.

I'm playing with D4D though. Every other map works just fine -- there's just one or two that cause some lag but it's at least manageable enough since it only occurs in the heart of combat. Map16 on the other hand, it's super laggy from the very start.

But then again I suppose that's what I deserve for playing a super-alpha-ish GZDoom on the scripting branch and running Doom 4 for Doom when things are clearly unoptimized. :P

Also, threw you guys a cacoward nomination. Y'all earned it. Seriously impressive shit. Good work!

Almost beat this, got a couple more to go. Play in zdoom 2.8something. I can't seem to get 100% kills on maps 5 onwards because not all the monsters in the closets are teleporting in. No idea why.
Also on the map with a 4 key switch, how do you open the hall in the middle of the map? Collected the 4 keys, pressed the switch, none of the doors opened. Had to noclip. Some monsters teleporting in in that area sometimes get stuck, making everybody else in the line unable to teleport. You might wanna check that. :)

So I finally beat this. Overall, a pretty great mapset. One thing I gotta say, I hated map 16. Putting a spawner when there's already almost 4k monsters around? Not cool. Would've been cooler if you just did a regular level or added a custom boss. But that's just me. Thank you for making this!

I really like this one. Dunno why but it suites me better than first Newgothic Movement. Keep up the good work. Map 03 is my favourite right now.

Like this set a lot so far. Is there any way you could give all the scattered weapons on map 10 at the start, including the bog-standard shotgun? It's really annoying to step over one of these weapons-turned-landmines when you need your BFG up and running, especially when it comes to picking up a shotgun from a dead sergeant in the middle of all the things while going for the keys.

Also on map 11 why not give the chaingun and the shotgun at the start? I missed the chaingun in my first attempts and also didn't actually see where it was because corpses and stuff... Turned the elevator into a mess a couple times for me, because eventhough I kinda knew it was there, I'm still stupid enough to just run past it occasionally. ;-)

The Bandit said:

Can you put it in wad format? I don't want to have to d/l WinZip every time I have to convert a wad. Thanks!

I think not. I for one am tired of threads having uncompressed WADs for download when a ZIP would be half (or in this case more like 1/4) as big and accordingly take less time to download. You're welcome!

The Bandit said:

Can you put it in wad format? I don't want to have to d/l WinZip every time I have to convert a wad. Thanks!

Uh, I thought windows supported extracting zip archives natively since at least xp? And how does one live without 7zip anyway?

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

Is there a songlist yet? Map03 has sick music. :)

Great wad, beautiful maps, top difficulty and interesing level design. I can search for flaws but this would be just unfair. It is just too good. 
I have one question, what about map names? In both zdoom and prboom the maps are called "Entryway", "Underhalls", etc. Do they have their own names and where can I see them?

It would be good if they had, just for aesthetic purposes. Anyway, if you ever think of adding names to the maps, I could think up some ideas.

What maps were made by you and what by ArmouredBlood? 

Also, Sabaton on map13 is just cool. Is map16's song Sabaton too? Anyway I'm just about 100% sure I've heard it somewhere before...

Edited by invisible_warrior