Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

DOOM 2016 wins multiple VGA awards, also doomworld shoutout from Stratton

BluePineapple72 said:

Man it's great seeing Marry again, he seemed really stoked for DOOM to win (hopefully they put the trophy next to the mastermind ;) )

Gotta agree. Stratton is a pretty stand up dude and really team-focused. I think as long as he's aboard, id's titles will be in great hands.

Buckshot said:

Stratton took stage and even gave a shoutout to Doomworld community directly.

Now if only he could actually give a shout out to mods that actually deserve a mention. :P

Orchid87 said:

Overwatch is game of the year though. This is ridiculous. Fuck VGA.

Yep. Course I knew suspected that was going to be the case. Blizzard fanbase consumed all the voting for game of the year. Sounds like a electoral VGA college is needed.

Oh well. DOOM won where it counts.

Loved watching Mick Gordon and Sonic Mayhem do a few DOOM tracks and a surprise Quake 2 track on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a9E3n_VZRQ

I expected the "Best Action Game" win, but I'm glad DOOM won "Best Music/Sound" as well. In addition to the Game of the Year nomination, not a bad showing at all for DOOM.

id Software = Top Tier

Orchid87 said:

Overwatch is game of the year though. This is ridiculous. Fuck VGA.

Except that Overwatch was also a very quality game that was rather successful. It's not like its undeserved.

I was rather surprised to see Doom win best Music/Sound, though. That was pretty neat. The live performance was... Okay.

Clonehunter said:

Except that Overwatch was also a very quality game that was rather successful. It's not like its undeserved.

I was rather surprised to see Doom win best Music/Sound, though. That was pretty neat. The live performance was... Okay.

Idk. OW is 1) multiplayer only 2) not very good as a shooter. The one good thing about it is a teamplay which it took to another level. But this is not enough to warrant GOTY award.

Orchid87 said:

OW is 1) multiplayer only 2) not very good as a shooter.

Point one doesn't affect it being a qualifier in the slightest, and point two is extremely subjective.

Orchid87 said:

Idk. OW is 1) multiplayer only 2) not very good as a shooter. The one good thing about it is a teamplay which it took to another level. But this is not enough to warrant GOTY award.

I second, I mean it wasn't a bad game. It was just, mediocre... i think that's how i'd define it. Many better team fps's out there.

I just watched the Doom live music performance. FUCK that was awesome, the Quake 2 track in there was really cool too!

Thank you id software, and everyone involved.

EDIT: You got the exact time where Marty mentions doomworld? I won't have time to watch the full 3 hours until Sunday (which I will do)

EDIT 2: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsfK0jDwwT8

TheWizard said:

I just watched the Doom live music performance. FUCK that was awesome, the Quake 2 track in there was really cool too!

Thank you id software, and everyone involved.

To be honest, I love Quake 2 industrial metal music much more than Doom's. Doom soundtrack best parts were those electronic bits. Metal stuff from Doom sounds kinda empty and soulless to me.

Wow, I'm very happy DOOM won those awards, I was really excited!!! Yeah, the Doom music performance was amazing, my brothers and I got surprised listening to that Quake 2 soundtrack, we loved it. Id software, you really deserve this. Thank you! I hope to get a PS4 to play the Best Action and soundtrack game!

Orchid87 said:

To be honest, I love Quake 2 industrial metal music much more than Doom's. Doom soundtrack best parts were those electronic bits. Metal stuff from Doom sounds kinda empty and soulless to me.

I love the original Doom soundtrack but Quake is my favorite series. Quake 2 and 3 have some of the best tracks I've ever heard in video games. But I'm not going to ignore Doom 2016. It's got some very memorable tracks that I know will instantly click into my head if I ever hear them several years from now, just like that little bit of Quake 2 music did to me.

Maybe it's a subtle hint of what's to come for Quake Champions?

TheWizard said:

Maybe it's a subtle hint of what's to come for Quake Champions?

I am worried about Quake Champions. It is being co-developed with Saber Interactive. I have zero trust in that studio.

Orchid87 said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. ;) There is no single song in existence with more energy than BFG Division. I actually less prefer the electronic parts. I only wish they would have done Quad Damaged as well.

MusicallyInspired said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. ;) There is no single song in existence with more energy than BFG Division. I actually less prefer the electronic parts. I only wish they would have done Quad Damaged as well.

Which one is "Quad Damaged"? You mean Quad Machine? Or Audio Adrenaline from Q3?

2016 has been a fantastic year for shooters with two major releases filling two different niches:

DOOM has the best Single-Player experience in over a decade.

Overwatch has the best Multi-Player experience in over a decade.

Which is why I find "Game of the Year" to be an absolutely silly concept. It's apples and oranges and crowning one single game to be "better than all the other ones" is ridiculous. I love both games and am happy to see them both represented here.

Still salty over DOOM not getting a single Golden Joystick award, but hey.

Buckshot said:

Ayep.

DOOM 2016 won "Action Game of the Year" (edit: also "Best Soundtrack") thus far on tonights awards, Stratton took stage and even gave a shoutout to Doomworld community directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9O7N3GkG_o

Ok....the audio in the entire clip is muted because of a copyright flag. This is the official Game Awards YouTube channel, is it not?