Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Top 10 Favourite Apogee/3D Realms Games

Apogee/3D Realms is the greatest PC game developer of all time, in my opinion. With so many classic games they've developed or published back in the 90s, and making a comeback back in 2008, they are without a doubt legends. Apogee/3D Realms is the king of PC gaming! So, as their biggest fan, I'm pleased to present to you the list of my top 10 games developed or published by Apogee/3D Realms.

#10 - Hocus Pocus (developed by Moonlite Software)
#9 - Bio Menace
#8 - Wolfenstein 3D (developed by id Software)
#7 - Shadow Warrior
#6 - Monster Bash
#5 - Wacky Wheels (developed by Beavis Soft)
#4 - Crystal Caves/Secret Agent
#3 - Duke Nukem 3D
#2 - Rise of the Triad
#1 - Commander Keen series (developed by id Software)

Honourable Mentions - Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Major Stryker, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Realms of Chaos, Stargunner

What are your favourites?

I own the Apogee Collection, but I haven't dug that far into it so off the top of my head I can only answer.

#1 Duke 3D (so far ahead there is no competition)
#2 Duke 2D (I used to play it a lot yet I remember nothing about it)
#3 Shadow Warrior
#4 RoTT (at a friend's house)

Might be a good day to load up the Apogee Collection.

Gotta add Secret Agent/Crystal Caves to those lists (I think they were apogee). Also Raptor: Call of the Shadows was insanely fun. Good call on Monster Bash, that game was really cool and Wacky Wheels was fun. Of course ROTT and Commander Keen, Duke 3d are all great. I really liked the 2D Dukes back then as well. Realms of Chaos was a lot of fun. Wolf 3D/Spear of Destiny were both a ton of fun, more-so with the old Beavis and Butthead mod we had for it back in the day (which I found the floppy disk for the other day, hehe) It's been forever since I started up the ole IBM, so I don't quite remember all of them. Still, one of my favorite DOS games, though it doesn't fit this list at all, is still worth a check: Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor.

Good memories with Crystal Cave. Duke3d was one of my least favorite game from Apogee, never liked Duke, way too annoying.

1. Rise of The Triad
2. Raptor (it was published by them, wasn't it?)
3. Wolfenstein 3D
4. Wacky Wheels
5. Terminal Velocity
6. Duke Nukem 3D

I don't think I like any others enough to fill out the last four, and there's a few I've never played.

1. Raptor
2. RAAAAPTOOOOOOR
3. (raptor)
4. Duke 3d
5. Wacky Wheels
6. Shadow Warrior
7. Terminal Velocity
8. dunno, stuff

dew said:

1. Raptor
2. RAAAAPTOOOOOOR
3. (raptor)
4. Duke 3d
5. Wacky Wheels
6. Shadow Warrior
7. Terminal Velocity
8. dunno, stuff

You have Raptor listed three times, but it's fine if you can't think of any more of your favourite Apogee games.

Fonze said:

Gotta add Secret Agent/Crystal Caves to those lists (I think they were apogee). Also Raptor: Call of the Shadows was insanely fun. Good call on Monster Bash, that game was really cool and Wacky Wheels was fun. Of course ROTT and Commander Keen, Duke 3d are all great. I really liked the 2D Dukes back then as well. Realms of Chaos was a lot of fun. Wolf 3D/Spear of Destiny were both a ton of fun, more-so with the old Beavis and Butthead mod we had for it back in the day (which I found the floppy disk for the other day, hehe) It's been forever since I started up the ole IBM, so I don't quite remember all of them. Still, one of my favorite DOS games, though it doesn't fit this list at all, is still worth a check: Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor.

Yes, both Secret Agent and Crystal Caves are Apogee titles. Both use the same engine, yet were by different people, Peder Jungk and Frank Maddin (who did Monster Bash) respectively. RotT, Keen, and Duke 3D are absolute classics, no doubt, including all the other games mentioned, and Wacky Wheels is a lot of fun, especially the soundtrack courtesy of Mark Klem.

I guess:

1. Shadow Warrior
2. Duke Nukem 3D
3. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny
4. Wolfenstein 3D
5. Prey

Now Prey isn't exactly a favorite of mine but since it's only one of the few 3D Realms games which I have played and because I thought its mechanics were pretty cool when I played it, I thought it at least deserved a place on the list.