Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice`

New Member... Veteran Mapper.

Yo, whats up? Hi, my name's Melfice. I'm new here at Doomworld, but have been on the mappin scene since April, making ZDoom based levels for Doom2. I just wanted you guys to know, that I'm working on a 32 level Megawad, called "Dark Nexus." It uses D64 graphics and sounds, some of my own sprites and textures, music from PSXDoom, Doom64, and other choice music I've selected, and it is going to haev all brand new levels. Monday, at a few other forums, I released a 1 Map demo of Dark Nexus. If any of you are interested in something new, try this out and tell me what you think!

ftp://public:public@doom.wrong.button.com/dndemo.zip

Yes, it is 8mb, but I guarantee if you download and play it, you'll see why. Thanks for your time guys!

Hahaha, I just realized that I contradicted myself there. Hey, though, I'm sure people will appreciate the quality of my work!

magikal said:

8Mb! Goddam 8Mb! Oh well here we go.

There speaks a true Doomaholic. Yep, I'm downloading it too...

BTW magikal, I remembered an old map where I'd really be interested in seeing you do one of your max runs: H2H-XMAS.WAD map12. Dozens (hundreds?) of revenants, etc.

[error]Error in archive.[/error] AAGHIED! I hate those errors. Can't play it till- *Kzzzzzp* -hopefully soon.

You know, i'm playing this wad right now, and didn't think much of it. The layouts aren't bad but the textures are godawful. (hey u asked what i think). And then i reached the finished screen, and heard that music....

Melfice...you rocketh

Edit: Now unlike a dumbass i played more of this wad and found it gets better as you go. some good stuff here. maybe it's those pukey doom64 textures

Hahaha, All keep in mind, this is a simple demo of what will actually be released at a later time. The Doom64 graphics will look much much better in the end, here's an example:

Bull Demon in the Dark Nexus demo:

Demo Demon

Final Dark Nexus release Demon

And for a special treat:

Use3D said:

Edit: Now unlike a dumbass i played more of this wad and found it gets better as you go. some good stuff here. maybe it's those pukey doom64 textures

Maps 2-25 are from DSV4, which also explains why the file size is so big. If you like these maps, I suggest you get a real version of DSV4 (there are specific versions for particular ports).

Melfice: it might be a good idea to check with Kaiser before redistributing his maps...

Just finished (1st map)..it was very short and quick. The mix of the textures was not good, either one or the other, the Doom 2 textures really looked out of place even though they looked better.I kept getting a couple of unknown script errors too. The Doom64 Imps looked really disproportionate too for some reason but I love the sounds.

How do you get the yellow key in map 3? I hit one switch, and the wall hiding the yellow key goes down. Then when I try to get it, another wall rises up to block it again. Then I see another switch and hit that, the wall that rose up lowers again, so I try to get the key again, and the first wall rises up. I hit the first switch and that wall lowers, but instead of going after the key, I try for the other switch, but the wall rises up again before I even go down those stairs. Then I hit the other switch and the wall comes down, and I go to the other switch again, and the other wall rises up again.

Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...the walls lower, the walls rise, the walls lower, the walls rise.

How do you get them to stay down!

Yes, Kaiser does know about the maps. They are the early demo of DSV4 before it was released. The Map01 is mine. But as I said, and have shown, the final graphics will be all around better than what they are right now, keep in mind, this is ONLY a demo. I'm kind of curious as to what you people though of the mp3 I chose for the stage music itself. There will be a 2nd demo released sometime in the near future, with no Doom2 textures what so ever.

Melfice said:

Hahaha, All keep in mind, this is a simple demo of what will actually be released at a later time. The Doom64 graphics will look much much better in the end...

Good to hear there's more work to be done on the Doom64 graphics, well worthwhile.

Ok, that worked. Thank you.

Now then, why did it have to be so frustrating there? I probably would not have figured it out for quite a while, maybe not before I quit the game and dumped it.

I'd say this ranks right up there with the Egyptian 9 tile puzzle in Hexen 2 for the most annoying.

Okay, just realised I unzipped it into my ZDoom 1.22 directory, now I put it in 1.23 b33 and it's much better and everything works.:)

Yes, DSV4 had some fairly annoying puzzles; Kaiser admits on his web page that some of them were over the top. This one is perhaps the most annoying though; the wad is definitely worth playing. I forget how I found out how to get that yellow key. I think I just got fed up, and was about to abandon the wad entirely, and went berserk, pressing on all the walls like an idiot. Any hey presto...

There are fairly annoying puzzles on maps 27 and 29 IIRC. BTW, all the traps are survivable when playing on UV -fast, but with some of them I didn't have a chance on my first attempt (i.e. savegames are essential).

I think Kaiser had assumed that everyone would remember that yellow key thing from one of the Doom 64 maps - a bit like the assumption in AV Map01 that everyone would remember the differently coloured light idea from Doom2 Map22.

Most annoying puzzle ever? That's a tricky one. There was one map in The Twilight Zone (IIRC) where you repeatedly had a choice of switches to press. One of the switches opened a door; the rest unleashed hoardes of big monsters - with no logic to it at all. Map08 of Icarus pissed quite a few people off, but I thought it was OK.

Grazza said:

There speaks a true Doomaholic. Yep, I'm downloading it too...

BTW magikal, I remembered an old map where I'd really be interested in seeing you do one of your max runs: H2H-XMAS.WAD map12. Dozens (hundreds?) of revenants, etc.

Downloading now...heh

Cool. It's actually a pretty good megawad (I have played it several times). I think it didn't get the attention it deserved because people dismissed it as a Christmas gimmick.

Just moved up to a higher ZDoom resolution and the Doom64/Doom2 textures blend much better.
H2H-Xmas, I don't think I've played it but I'll soon find out....

Grazza said:

Maps 2-25 are from DSV4, which also explains why the file size is so big.

oh well, shit. Those are some fun maps!

Hello-Allo, I downloaded the thingy-mibobber, but how do you play Pwads on Zdoom exactly? Im used to legacy and i dont use Zdoom for Pwads so i dont know how to...I really wanna try the demo but I cant!

In Carnage Galore 3, I tried to keep the puzzles fairly simple, yet still a bit devious. I would have made harder puzzles, but it is, after all, only the first episode, and I didn't want to use up my best ideas right away.

Spishak Cola said:

Hello-Allo, I downloaded the thingy-mibobber, but how do you play Pwads on Zdoom exactly? Im used to legacy and i dont use Zdoom for Pwads so i dont know how to...I really wanna try the demo but I cant!

Open a msdos prompt.Type in cd\zdoom...press enter(If your ZDoom directory is C:\ZDoom that is, if not put the relavent address.
Then type 'zdoom -file dndemo.wad -skill 4' ...press enter and you should be away.
Uploading LMP for H2H-XMAS map12 at my site...great fun, thanks Grazza!

hmmm, really nice, except for one minor problem...In the first Map, right before i got the blue keycard and after I got it i kept getting this message : 'P_StartScript: unknown Script 2''P_StartScript: unknown Script 3' 'P_StartScript: unknown Script 4'..ect...It didnt seem to do much, i still passed the level. Also the music wouldnt load on the first level.

Spishak Cola said:

you could make a batch file to run it. make a new text file in your doom directory and type zdoom -file [location of file/file.wad]. you can add any other command line options in after that. then save as [filename].bat. then click on the batch file and play away.

btw, I'm downloading the file now. should be interesting.

magikal said:

Uploading LMP for H2H-XMAS map12 at my site...great fun, thanks Grazza!

Wow, that was quick. I mean to get an exit so soon - the time's not bad either though.

Ichor said:

I'd say this ranks right up there with the Egyptian 9 tile puzzle in Hexen 2 for the most annoying.

And some of the Shadowcaster puzzles, cos I'm sure people found those very annoying....

DOOM Anomaly said:

hmmm, really nice, except for one minor problem...In the first Map, right before i got the blue keycard and after I got it i kept getting this message : 'P_StartScript: unknown Script 2''P_StartScript: unknown Script 3' 'P_StartScript: unknown Script 4'..ect...It didnt seem to do much, i still passed the level. Also the music wouldnt load on the first level.

It could be that you're using an older version of ZDoom (before 1.23 beta 33). I remember playing a ZDoom wad a few months ago (I think it was military.zip) with v1.22 and I kept getting unknown script messages in that.

Nah... The puzzules on Shadowcaster weren't that annoying. Probably the worst one would be where you had to walk down a winding ledge of only a few units wide while being blown around by a strong wind. Still, that wasn't quite as bad as this yellow key puzzle.