Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MusicallyInspired

The Crucible blade details (potential spoilers)

So I'm working on a little project that might take me quite a bit of time. But to complete it I need some of the fine details from the Crucible blade at the end of Doom (2016).

Specifically, the exact pattern of the runes on the blade. Is there someone out there who can possible rip the texture from the game or something? Or perhaps there's a clearer higher res image we can get where we can see the runes clearly at least?

Also, on a similar note, I've been trying to rip sounds from Doom and have had no success. I've used the tools provided online and I can export tons of sounds but they're all entirely unreadable even after "conversion" and I'm not sure what to do. Anybody have a successful method? Am I just using the tools wrong?

hardcore_gamer said:

Let me guess, you are trying to turn the blade into a weapon for the original Doom?

Nope.

drokk said:

i think there's a detailed view of it in the art book maybe

Ack that thing's $100.

There's a quick shot of the hilt I think, but not the blade. The blade at the end was a brand new reveal. I think you were meant to go "Wow I didn't know it could do THAT!"

Maybe I'll just go through the game and find all the runes throughout that I can and take random ones and arrange them in the same order.

Does that help?

And yeah, I too had a nerdgasm when I saw the Argent Energy blade. Although, I am curious whether it could do that before it absorbed all the Well's energy or not.

MusicallyInspired said:

Oh yes actually! Never thought of lowering the video settings.

Funny thing is, I thought your screencap was of inferior quality. But, now I see the HDR Bloom, in your screencap. Apparently, too much realism is not always a good thing xD . There are so many bells and whistles on PC, I prefer to customize and turn off anything I feel I do not need, or does not provide enough visual difference. This game's shadow effects are not worth it imo, but the reflection simulation is superb however. Also, it helps that I just finished recording my Hurt Me Plenty playthrough, much easier to get the perfect frame from a video than from the running game.

Well, can't agree with you there. Those options aren't just there to add aesthetics at your whim, it's part of the art direction. If you're not on full settings you're not experiencing it the way it was intended. I have a GTX 970 that plays Doom silky smooth at 100-120 fps though so there's no need to lower any settings on my end.

Now, contradicting some of that, I turn off film grain all the time lol.

It seems like HDR Bloom replaces "Ambient Occlusion" in this game. I, too, run a GTX 970, so I really do not have to worry about framerate spike. And, while I admit that the HDR Bloom does a good job of realistically simulating how light radiates in real life, it has flaws along with advantages. I find the stagger highlight to look "muddy" with HDR Bloom on. Whereas with it off, I can see that the highlight is made up of "large dots". It also may produce too much glare and put strain on the eyes. On the other hand, the light radiation does make certain attacks more visible, like the Revenant's laser-guided rockets. With that being said, perhaps I should record the end cutscene again with HDR Bloom on, so I can see whether I can get a clear screenshot of the Crucible Blade with the light radiation present.

Finally, you should know that every graphic setting is not necessarily intended. Most notably, anti-aliasing puts the greatest stress on a gpu, but it is actually not needed when you are playing on your monitor's highest resolution. The "stair-step" effect is rarely visible when playing at highest resolution. Not worth the amount of GPU resource required.

Sorry, disagree again. It is noticeable. Quite noticeable. Even at 4k I'm sure some edges would appear more than a little too distinct. I'm running at 1080p so it bothers me even more.