Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ace83

[GZ Doom] UDMF support for Mac

I have just started out with Slade for map building, and afaik UDMF is a more versatile format than the ordinary Doom format.

Moreover, I'm following this guide in my initial stage to get going: https://eev.ee/blog/2015/12/19/you-should-make-a-doom-level-part-1/
... and UDMF format is the example this guy is using.

However, upon trying out my map with GZ Doom it simply won't start. I just appear in the ordinary Doom 2 start level. So, upon further investigation it seems like UDMF is not supported at all with GZ Doom on a Mac. I'm unable to find the link now, but I think it was some kind of wiki page with a table (which stated "No").

For now, Z Doom is working for this purpose but GZ Doom is supposed to be the better alternative for visual gameplay, so I'm wondering if this will be supported in the future? I'm also thinking that I will run into trouble a lot if I want to try out new maps made by people on this forum, presuming UDMF is the standard (I'm new around here so can't tell).

Alternatively, are there any better source ports available? I tried out Zandronum but this app doesn't work at all (no startup).

Edit: Solved and title changed.

Ace83 said:

presuming UDMF is the standard (I'm new around here so can't tell).

Not really, all 3 formats are still being used at large scale. It depends on the mapper's preference. Doom format is widely supported, including support by ports with cross-port-compatible demo recording (which especially the speedrunning community keeps in high regard, and which modern ZDoom-based ports lack), and some mappers find the format's limitations helpful to make them focus on the important aspects of level design instead of being distracted by unnecessary features. On the contrary, UDMF has high flexibility, allowing to do things impossible in other formats. Hexen format is a sort of compromise - a way to use moderately advanced features that work in ports that don't support UDMF. (Also, let's not confuse format features and port features - the former are just a base for the latter, and compatibility of specific maps depends on their map formats as well as on port features actually used in the maps.)

Ace83 said:

Alternatively, are there any better source ports available?

Again, a matter of preference. GZDoom is probably the most feature rich port AND is capable of properly running the majority of Doom wads in existence, but that doesn't mean everybody considers it better than other ports. Several of its problems are: Lack of good demo compatibility, imperfect accuracy to vanilla game behavior, inefficient implementation of multiplayer. Other ports are better in these aspects, but lack other features, which yet other ports have, but lack yet other features, etc.

Ace83 said:

However, upon trying out my map with GZ Doom it simply won't start. I just appear in the ordinary Doom 2 start level. So, upon further investigation it seems like UDMF is not supported at all with GZ Doom on a Mac.

You're doing something wrong and getting confused. GZDoom will run UDMF maps on a Mac just as well as it does on Windows.

So the problem here is that you get the normal Doom II MAP01. Possible causes:
- Your custom level is not actually named
- Your custom level is not named MAP01

To verify the first point, look at the console, and scroll to the top. You should see messages such as "adding gzdoom.pk3; adding doom2.wad", etc. Make sure that "adding mylevel.wad" (or whatever you've named it) is present.

To verify the second point, just look at it in SLADE.

What are you using to start GZDoom and load your level?

Have you tried just drag-dropping your level on top of GZDoom to start it?

When was the last time you downloaded GZDoom, and from what site?

If GZDoom doesn't support a map format you can rest assured it will give you an error.

Thanks all for replying!

lol, seems like I was doing something wrong after all since I managed it to work with GZ Doom. Again, I'm a beginner at this after all.

Either way, I'll try to remember to post the aforementioned table displaying the source ports and platforms for the UDMF support if I find it again. Maybe it was not up to date, and/or I wasn't looking straight. :)

Ports that currently support UDMF are exactly and only these 4: ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Eternity Engine. (EDIT: And also Vavoom and Skulltag, but these aren't actively developed / frequently used by players anymore.)