Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sallan

It's bad being a adult?

I'm not a big fan of labels myself. But your brain is basically a big wet sack of chemicals interacting with each other and the concept of mental disorders seems to be an approximation of specific imbalances of those chemicals. So there's something to it. But I do have a general distrust of Big Pharma; I have a lot of doubt as to how objective we can be in identifying (and treating) issues with the human condition.

Wild Dog said:

Sorry i don't mean to be rude, but most of those are Bullshit "disease", to drug childrens then they keep selling them drugs for life......
Today Medical System is not meant to heal people, is meant to keep people using drugs till they die

Requesting Upset Puppy get losered for this shit.

dethtoll said:

The comment was directed to me, and I wasn't offended...is anyone else?

dethtoll said:

He prefaced his statement with "Sorry i don't mean to be rude..." so what's your problem? Even GoatLord says he's fine. It's not necessary to turn nothing into something.

Can everyone with a different opinion than mine be losered please? I'm out of tissues. K thx

It's pretty shitty to declare well-documented and researched mental illnesses that affect thousands, if not millions, of people to be "bullshit" and peddle conspiracy theories about using fake illnesses to hook children on drugs for money.

You never go full Tom Cruise.

Does anyone else remember the wave of false diagnoses of ADD wherein Ritalin was prescribed / peddled to a bunch of kids who didn't need it? It's definitely the exception rather than the rule but it is a thing that happens. There are bad people out there willing to make money on false pretenses even if it hurts people, believe it or not

Edit: To be clear, I do think dismissing depression / anxiety full stop is ridiculous, but there are people out there whose lives have been pigeonholed by false diagnoses which get them hooked on prescriptions.

I narrowly dodged that bullet. Luckily, my mom was sort of crunchy.

Wouldn't go back to school if you paid me. The only thing I ever learned in school was my place.

I'm an adult and I prefer my current life to my childhood. Here's a few reasons off the top of my head:

1. As a kid you have to slave away at school and deal with assholes (fellow kids and teachers) and you don't get paid for all the effort and misery you go through.
- As an adult, you get actually paid for the work you do and if you don't like your job, you can always quit.

2. Parents are constantly a hazzle - they always insist on complaining about something and don't seem to care if you're exhausted and down in the dumps (largely due to '1').
Example: "You're playing those stupid computer games again!? You're supposed to be brighter than that and not waste your life on that rubbish!"
- As an adult, I can enjoy video games when I want/need to play them and nobody's telling me that I'm "rotting my brain away" doing so. Makes it more enjoyable and less stressful.

3. A lot of kids are a bunch of veritable psychopaths that don't give a shit if you're physically and emotionally exhausted - they will kick you when you're down (verbally as well as physically) and show no mercy.
- Most adults have developed something resembling "responsible behavior" and "a conscience" and actually respect when you're in a bad way - those that don't, you can report to the Police or warn the perpetrator that you might do so.

___

Sure, as an adult you have to pay your bills and you're mostly on your own (but I prefer that to putting my Life in the hands of incompetents who just make my Life miserable).

dethtoll said:

Requesting dethtoll get losered... just saying.

afaik that's what you call backseat moderating?

No. Fuck no. Fuck school and fuck lacking the freedom adulthood lets you have. Even with my stresses, mental illnesses and pains I still value my freedom to do whatever I want highly.

IMHO

Adulthood starts when an individual learns to have enough discipline to maintain a job. Moreover, the individual also learns to maintain their spending mostly on necessity. There are a lot of older people that don't do these things however.

Being an adult is fun, I think. Just as long as you don't fuck your life along the way (i.e massive debt with high interest, STDs, (hard) drug addiction, divorce, unwanted children you can't afford)

Being alive is generally pretty awful, but some parts of it can be enjoyable. After life is used up, there is probably not a lot else this universe has to offer, so I might as well hang in there. We are marching ceaselessly toward entropy so eventually all suffering will come to an end.

Age doesn't matter, your life can be bad as a 15 year old as well, speaking from my own experience. All depends what goes on in your life at that time of your age. Sure as a adult you've got more responsibilities, looking at me with a 40/50 hour job and a mortgage to pay and whatnot bills wise. I'm in fact doing better now than in my younger years. Life can be a breeze or totally fuck up your life at some point, I see life as running an obstacle course, sometimes you trip and fall, happens to all people. Seen the good sides and bad sides of it on numerous occasions. Age is no guarantee your life will be good nor bad, its what you make of it yourself. Nothing comes easy in this world, happiness is what you create yourself, you wish to be happy don't sit on your ass all day.

Being adult is awesome. As others have said, it all comes down to liberty. Being able to do what you want, when you want to do it (well, at least most of the time) is fantastic.

TheCupboard said:

We are marching ceaselessly toward entropy so eventually all suffering will come to an end.

Beautiful.

This is one of those questions that I struggle to answer every time it comes up. I had the kind of childhood that forced you to grow up fast. At the age of eight I was helping my mother raise my brother and helping my mother when she was out of remission. By the age of 13 I was working summer jobs and working after school to help provide for my family. More or less at the age of eight, I was an adult. I can't say being an adult sucks or is a bad thing, because it's all I have known for the majority of my life.

Potentially good news: no need to strangle yourself as you hang, (unless you like that sort of thing) just give it a good drop and your neck will break; weight isn't much of an issue! But as an adult you're gonna be heavier to carry out; prolly have some young kid, first EMT call and now he's carrying out your big body, bumping your head into walls and doorways because it's awkward carrying a body in general, let alone after you've voided your bowels. He'll prolly curse your name as he does it, and probably rightfully should bump your head into more walls than he does naturally, not that beating a dead horse will help. Still, it makes those of us left feel better, and that's all that really matters, because dead people don't have feelings. You of course won't care at that point cause you've already lost your security deposit anyway, but somebody will have to patch those walls...

Being an adult is painful and exhausting (manner of speaking) but the fact that it sucks depend mostly on you, right now I may going through deep shit but it's not because of the adulthood, it's because the poor choices I have made.
Nonetheless adulthood is more enjoyable because it's all about choice and assuming consequence of those choices... freedom in some ways.

But not everybody has the luxury of making choices they want or need depending on their situation.

In fact that notion of choice is not always between good and bad, unfortunately for somes, it's about bad and worse mostly because we do live in an unforgiving and unfair.

Sallan said:

(i'm 15) 60-80% of my searchs show adulthood as a horrible experience, i dont think it's THAT thing people talk, for myself means be more free, just this is enough.

Sorry if i talk shit, just a inaccurate vision.

It's worse than that, actually.

40oz said:

No.

What you are hearing is noise, depending on who you're hearing it from. The complaints are most likely biased because this generation of technology has enabled people to be distracted with things that don't matter. Social media, information, video games and TV shows are so much more accessible now than ever before, which causes many people to get swept away with bullshit that doesn't improve their life, and when the consequences come, they blame the game instead of the way they played it.

The game however, is different depending on your perspective. If you live in the Congo, every day is a reward of you're not killed by wild animals. Pretty simple. The tricky part is when you live in a civilized society where surviving is a non-issue for anyone. Your goal is to establish an enjoyable quality of life.

The thing is, when everyone is working really hard to stay alive, there's a lot of comradery and compassion and everyone helps each other out. When the game changes to having a better quality of life, there's fierce competition, there's no cheat codes, and people dont play fair. They'll give you shitty advice because your misguidedness makes opulence, prosperity and wealth much easier for them.

In order to win at the life, you don't just have to be good at the game, you actually have to make the game. Set your goals, make them attainable, and document and measure your progress.

People who think being an adult is hard think so because they wasted all their childhood being a retard on the internet instead of realizing all the potential they have and actually working towards it. They fast forwarded 15 years and now their too deep in the game to figure out what to do before people are allowed to take advantage of them by luring them to apply for loans and credit cards instead of building up the confidence and social skills to acquire a decent job with their college education they farted around with. They created a world of problems they have to dig themselves out of and this game has no reset button. So play it right and you'll have fun with it.

Qft.