Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

I thought this thread becoming non-sticky meant that they stopped accepting nominations and started writing their articles.

Doomkid said:

Just want to echo those saying Romero should have his own special category for this year. His maps / return were a huge thing for the community and at the same time there was so much great stuff this year and so many talented mappers/modders that I feel making an extra slot would be justified!

It could always be a sidebar mention, like it's usually the case with events like these.

I feel as if, given the 23rd cacowards, it may be best to break it up and do more categories this year, multiple winners per category. Ae, break it up into the various types of wad we get. Best Mockaward Map versus Best Mockaward Gameplay. This also would allow for factoring of other, more intensive things. Like Total/Major Conversion Category.

There's just far too much good stuff. Toss up some bronze and silver cacowards.

I think Doom 4 could be included this year; as well as Doom 3.
Doom 4 more because it's got an included snapmap editor which is quite extensive (and gives it a reasonable exception as to why it's here and not needing the 10 years criteria),
and Doom 3 because it has been out for 10 years now and actually meets the criteria, having a fairly decent set of mods.

Memfis said:

I thought this thread becoming non-sticky meant that they stopped accepting nominations and started writing their articles.

I mean, the thread's really not much more than a "check this out for consideration if you haven't already" thing to begin with, but yeah, I'm sure that everything's been decided at this point. (As the awards should be showing up over the weekend.)

40oz said:

If people don't win a cacoward this year, it doesn't mean they lost. I think adding extra categories complicates things and if your favorite wads don't win, use the comments section to promote the stuff you nominated. Its a celebration of all the good stuff that happened in doom this year and its supposed to be user friendly for people who don't watch this site often but are looking for good stuff to play. I think pumping in extra categories can only serve to make things more messy.

Cacoward writers have big shoes to fill and every year they have to be more compromising by making the honorable mentions list longer and longer. As wads get better and better over time, its likely that some truly great stuff that may have blown us a way a few years ago might not measure up today, and that's okay. They're still great wads and the fans will speak up.

That's true kmx/40; big shoes indeed! It's more than just writing a review, it's doing research and fact checking, which eats a lot of time while writing. But we all appreciate members of the team who take time out of their lives to make this a reality every year.

Fonze said:

It's more than just writing a review, it's doing research and fact checking, which eats a lot of time while writing. But we all appreciate members of the team who take time out of their lives to make this a reality every year.

Hear, hear!

Didn't Scuba do it all like alone or something? Or would you guys say that his texts weren't as good as what we are getting now?

I think people are misunderstanding, what I meant was that everything should be the same as always but with an extra blurb mentioning Romero. If not that's no biggie but given the amount of good shit this year it seems justified. That's like if Jesus rose from the dead and TIME declared him person of the year, its like "oh come on, this guy literally made this shit, everyone knows him and his stuff, there's others out there who deserve that little stamp of appreciation!"

I know its a dumb analogy and meaningless at the end of the day, just seems like a good gesture for other mappers in the running. As I was saying though, not a big deal, just seems to make sense

Memfis said:

Didn't Scuba do it all like alone or something? Or would you guys say that his texts weren't as good as what we are getting now?

No offense to Scuba, but I think it's clear that the Cacowards have gotten bigger and more well-considered over time. Hell in 2012 the Cacowards were 15 days late because the original writer forgot to do them.

Doom community isn't showing signs of slowing soon, so naturally the more blood flows in, the more significant the 'Wards become.

Salt-Man Z said:

2016 was truly an amazing year for DOOM content, even if everything else went to shit.

Couldn't agree more.

May I voice my nominations, before it is too late, please?

I'd like to give my +1's to the:
Japanese Community Project
Comatose
BD64
Elf Gets Pissed
Strange Aeons
The Inquisitor 3
Ancient Aliens
Hell on Earth Starter Pack (even if to count what Mark said about it... it absolutely kicks ass)

What else?
Mockawards:
H-DOOM & Run for It.

Mapper - either someone from JPCP, either rdwpa.

And yes, +1 for awarding Quasar with Espi Award (I think he deserves it for everything he has done).

And last opinion... DOOM 2016 should be mentioned also. Not every year we are getting new DOOM game, especially like that one.

Of course, everything is just my IMHO :)

No one on the Cacoward team needs to keep stockpiling names at the dispense of anyone this late into the process, but all the same I'd like to give a shoutout to Fortune's Run (Demo). A cool-looking ZDoom TC that came out after last year's awards, so missed the boat. The creator hasn't checked in in a good while and the mod is clearly far from properly finished, but it does deserve more recognition than it got, for sure.

Seconding "The Inquisitor 3". Ultra-ambitious project, that, so far, has turned out quite nicely.

Cynical said:

Seconding "The Inquisitor 3". Ultra-ambitious project, that, so far, has turned out quite nicely.

Be sure to repost this in the 2017 thread, heh. Honestly, a project of this scope getting parachuted in at the last moment possible... there's no chance for us to appraise it fairly. Most on the caco panel were busy fact checking for their articles rather than playing huge ultra-ambitious super-late November/early December releases. Spoilers, NEIS isn't grabbing a 2016 Cacoward either. That said, nothing should be snubbed just because of its release date, it may just need to wait a little longer than usual, heh.

dew said:

Spoilers, NEIS isn't grabbing a 2016 Cacoward either. That said, nothing should be snubbed just because of its release date, it may just need to wait a little longer than usual, heh.

Good to know, thanks for the 411 dew!

dew said:

Be sure to repost this in the 2017 thread, heh. Honestly, a project of this scope getting parachuted in at the last moment possible... there's no chance for us to appraise it fairly. Most on the caco panel were busy fact checking for their articles rather than playing huge ultra-ambitious super-late November/early December releases. Spoilers, NEIS isn't grabbing a 2016 Cacoward either. That said, nothing should be snubbed just because of its release date, it may just need to wait a little longer than usual, heh.

So basically anything released in December is eligible for the next year's Cacowards? That's great to hear -- I know that at least in the early years of the Cacowards, the time between Dec. 10 and Jan. 1 was a dead zone in which nothing released could be considered for the awards. I'm pretty sure the awards still have a reputation for this -- see Bloodstain getting released on exactly Jan. 1 -- so thanks for getting the word out!

Not Jabba said:

So basically anything released in December is eligible for the next year's Cacowards?

Nothing is ever "ineligible" for a Cacoward, no. See, e.g., 32in24-13. In fact, there might just be a WAD in this year's bunch that came out before December 10 2015...

Not Jabba said:

So basically anything released in December is eligible for the next year's Cacowards? That's great to hear -- I know that at least in the early years of the Cacowards, the time between Dec. 10 and Jan. 1 was a dead zone in which nothing released could be considered for the awards. I'm pretty sure the awards still have a reputation for this -- see Bloodstain getting released on exactly Jan. 1 -- so thanks for getting the word out!

i won't directly quote my foreward, but if something was released around the month leading up to the 10th, then it will be fair game for next year.

Last-minute nomination for Echelon.

I felt GZDoom slow on Linux but suddenly, tried Echelon and ran well.

And it's an aesthetic masterpiece, it must be on the "10 list" if deep level design means anything for this community.