Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ranhcase

UDMF Format for Doom?

This is probably a stupid question, but, is there anyway to use UDMF format for Doom I in GZDoom Builder? I don't see it in the game configurations, just Boom: Doom in Doom Format, and Doom: Doom in Doom Format.

Just use the Doom 2 UDMF config and put Doom 1 IWAD instead of Doom 2 IWAD into the Resource list.

it seems to have worked, but i get a bunch of errors that appear to be related to Doom II Resources, is that okay?

well the errors is only about missing sprites which is only in doom 2 so i think if you use only doom 1 sprite everything will be fine

I'm not sure if this is actually important, but I think you also have to enter E1M1 instead of MAP01 in the "Level Name" field.

So far, every port that supports UDMF maps supports arbitrary map names, so you can use MAP01 for Doom 1 or E1M1 for Doom II; just like you can use more exotic names as well.

Gez said:

So far, every port that supports UDMF maps supports arbitrary map names, so you can use MAP01 for Doom 1 or E1M1 for Doom II; just like you can use more exotic names as well.

Good to know that. I didn't even think about it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, why would anyone want to name his Doom II map ExMx?

Zed said:

Good to know that. I didn't even think about it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, why would anyone want to name his Doom II map ExMx?

They wouldn't. I think the point is you can name the map anything, even something nonsensical like ExMx

Zed said:

There are more than a few Doom II mods that have been split into episodes. E.g. Valiant or Ancient Aliens. If they targeted ZDoom instead of Boom/MBF then they could very well have used the ExMy structure.

ZPack is an example of episode sets for Doom II, which uses a ZxMy scheme for map names.