Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

The first time I played Doom, it was the shareware version on a Win95 PC. It was still fun, but not as much as Doom II (which was the first Doom game I ever played, and still love. I still have the 3.5 inch floppies laying around!)
The first time I owned Doom, I bought the Ultimate Doom at a discount at an Office Depot. I also bought Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders at the same store not long after... but that's another story.

First time I saw Doom was on some demo disk my Dad had. I knew I needed it after that, so I went looking everywhere for it. (This was 2007). I eventually got it online and I played through the whole game with the original controls because I didn't know source ports existed :) good times

first time i played doom was when i was on vacation in upstate new york, early 2010s. i played it on my dad windows xp laptop, and, of course, i cheated my way through it.

that version was pirated, tho. just recently i got a copy of doom 2 from a local goodwill, so it's fine now! :)

I first played the N64 version of Doom around its release year after I borrowed it from my friend and played it on my brothers N64.

I first owned the GBA version of Doom in 2004 while I was 17, the same year I was attending TAFE for the first time.

I think I played it back in 2013 or 14. I don't remember exactly did I first play it because of brutal doom or because I watched the "All your history are belong to us" id Software episodes. Of course I pirated it back then and it came packed with zDooM. Then I bought it twice, once in the Doom 3 BFG Edition and then again with the Doom Classic Collection, both on Steam. I can just wish for a physical copy ;p

I was five years old the first time I heard the sounds of DOOM coming from my dad's computer room. The year was 1995, and he was playing DOOM II. I wanted to try it just because he was playing it. It horrified me. Then when I was in high school I played for a bit in my computer class with some other kids, then it wouldn't be for a few years after that that I really got into it like I am now. I didn't own my own copies of DOOM until about six years ago.

I first played the Shareware around 2007 or earlier on an increasingly staggering Windows XP enabled computer. There was no sound, as I couldn't figure out how to configure it when I managed to set it up, but I still remember killing the first Pinky you encounter and thinking that its violent death animation was one of the most insane things I had ever seen up until then. I'm not sure a video game moment has ever been so satisfying for me past that shotgun blasting of the Pinky.

The first official copy I had of the full version was acquired from a Half Price Books store, who had a CD Collector's Edition release with UDoom, Doom II, and Final Doom packaged with Doom 95 launchers. I believe this was also the first time I got my hands on an actual copy of Plutonia, at which point I quickly favored it over TNT.

I think it was after that I had a more serious outlook on Doom modding, and dumped the ancient Windows 98 era programs I had been using for sprite replacements and moved on to the now ancient SLumpEd. Then I just sorta stopped mapping and making Decorate mods in ZDoom, though I managed to make a few cool things that were added to Realm 667 at some point.

I first played it around 1995, I guess, I was 5 years old lol
Loved the game from that day until currently.

Must have been 1993 or 1994. Some neighbor had it on a computer, but I can't recall how I even knew about it before. I think my uncle or something because he was a Wolf 3d fan. I used to play on his 386/486.

My first time owning it - same uncle got it for me for my birthday for SNES.

Something is telling me someone's asked this before....and I've answered too.

The first time i played doom, i must have been either 5 or 6. My parents got me a computer and it had a lot of CDs, including one that contained a bunch of game demos. Among the demos there was the Doom Shareware (using the Doom 95 port). I can still remember installing the game, e2m6 played during the instalation along with an animation of the spidermastermind walking, it was really unsettling. Eventually i played the game and it scared me to death. I managed to get to E1M2, and by then my legs were shaking in fear and i just shut the game. After that experience i didn't played doom until i found out "Ghostbusters Doom" a lot of years later and it got me interested in modding doom.

The first time i owned Doom was the SNES port. My father bought it for me and my brother, but the game had left me with such strong impression that time i played the shareware that i didn't even bothered to play it. I don't remember what happened to the cartridge, it got lost soon.

The first time I played Doom was on a SNES emulator back then in 2008, it was from a cd with lots of snes roms in it. We were looking for interesting games to play and then we bumped into with Doom, a game which marked our lives forever. We run it and we saw a black screen with red letters on it and a Williams logo as well, and after the screen faded in black, and you know what's next, we saw that terrific title pic showing a man with guns surrounded by a red sky and strange creatures, we were amazed by seeing that, then we played the game but we didn't understand the game so we changed it to see other games. After a few days prior holy week, my mom was watching those silly Christians TV programs where pastors tell lies about games and when I say they tell lies, they do. A pastor was speaking about Doom that there were Christian people playing Doom and that Doom was a game where a man goes to Hell, and then my brothers and I saw each other and finally understood why the sky was red, it was Hell and the creatures were Demons!!! Then we decided to play it in the easiest difficulty level to go to Hell easy because we were afraid of it... We battled pinkies, Imps, Zombies and finally the shit was out of us when we saw the Barons of Hell for the first time, it still blows my mind and when we reached the main teleporter I said we can go to the second episode now but when I stepped into the teleporter we were caught and attacked by monsters and the tittle pic appeared again, so we decided to play it in medium level, how the time flies. Then we owned Doom and Doom 2 for pc in 2010, I was really happy to play them but we needed to install them first. When we finished, we used the cheat codes to see the last levels and I had fear to see those hanging bodies in Unto The Cruel and also seeing the level 30 of Doom 2, I jumped from the chair when we saw the Icon of Sin.

The first time I ever played Doom and the first time I ever owned Doom were the same: My mom bought me the full six-episode version of Wolfenstein 3D in 1994 or 1995, and it just happened to include a floppy with the original Doom shareware on it. I'd heard of Doom before, and seen a few disgruntled employees of a computer shop deathmatching each other in E2M1, but never played it before I had the shareware in my sweaty little teenage hands. I basically blew off Wolf3D episodes 2-6 to play Doom E1 over and over and over again. Then she bought me Doom 2 not too long after and it's been with me ever since. I'm sometimes moderately horrified by how many hours and how much mental real estate Doom's taken up in my life, but I still love the damn thing.

DooM was my second FPS game back in early 2000s, after DN3D.
My bro got me into them & I remember playing them a lot & appreciating some sound effects that I thought were cool.

Ultimate DooM & DooM 2 were my first DooM games. I played them on DOS, obviously.

I had been playing a little known game on the Sega MegaDrive called Zero Tolerance in about '95 I believe it was. It was as good as a FPS on that system was ever going to get and I remember my brother, who's a fair bit older than me saying that it looks like DOOM.
He told me about this game he'd played at a friends house on PC and how it was just mind blowing.
This stuck with me for some reason , so fastforward to early '97 and ive just got me a PS1 for Christmas and I find out that that DOOM is out for it.
I got my hands on a second hand copy and I was hooked.
couldn't keep off the game.
Been a fan ever since.

Would have been around late 1995, though it didn't start with Doom!

Doomkid said:

My earliest memory is actually of Wolf3D, but it became Doom very soon after - My brother, my dad and myself all huddled around an old PC in awe of how amazing the game looked. My dad laughed at the "Can I play, daddy?" skill level, I'll never forget that..

I'll also never forget the joys of downloading WADs online around '97-'98 when dad bought me the Ultimate Doom with Doom95. Before that, I only had a Shareware CD and a bootleg copy of Doom2 that my brother had somehow acquired. I also fondly remember having my first online deathmatch in 2001 through Doom Connector. Good times!

Doomkid said:

I also fondly remember having my first online deathmatch in 2001 through Doom Connector. Good times!

God, i miss Doom Connector, i still remember how back in the last days of doom connector, as soon as me or my buddies finished a map we used to play it first on coop. It made the process of playing doom online much easier rather than using console commands.... good times indeed

The first time I played Doom would be when I was around 4 or 5 years old (2002-2003). My dad had TNT on the PC and I would play the shit out of it. But I never got past MAP02. I stopped after it got deleted though and I don't really have much memory of that other than "I played Doom and couldn't beat Level 2"

My dad got me Doom II when I was 7 or 8 years old and I remember getting up to MAP09. It was a used copy so there was a pre-existing save file which started me off at MAP14 with almost all guns except the SSG and the BFG. I frequently played that and got to MAP 16. And then that got deleted too.

Fast forward to 2012 where I found out about source ports after watching some videos by Aquarius199 on YouTube and started playing Doom (II) again.

First time I played DooM was in 1994 on a macintosh while I was in the military. I didn't get back into it until 1997 and really didn't play it until I found out about source ports. For many years I was a wolfenstein player but I prefer doom as I can play in degreeless mode.

I'm not sure if I remember the first time. My first memory about Doom involves playing coop with my brother and father at his workplace. One player was controlled by my brother, another player - by me (shooting) and my father (moving). I guess we played that way because I was too young to do both at the same time. I distinctly remember exploring the mastermind room of Map06 and laughing at something together. That's my earliest memory but I might have played the game before, I'm not sure. That must have been around 1998 or so.

I think I never owned Doom legally. I guess first time I played it it was a copy that my father got from his coworker. Then at some point we bought a pirate CD (there were little to no legal CDs in Russia) that had Doom 1-2 and Quake 1-3. That's probably the closest I ever got to owning it.

wolfie3dfan said:

For many years I was a wolfenstein player but I prefer doom as I can play in degreeless mode.

Wolf3D also has God Mode, you just have to start the game up with the -goobers parameter. During gameplay, press [Left Shift] + [Alt] + [Backspace] simultaneously to enable debug mode.

I think that God Mode was quite buggy though? Like you could still sometimes die, or maybe the status bar numbers were fucked up or something. I remember not liking it due to some problems.

1994-1995 I had the 1.8 shareware version and that was my first experience with Doom, but it was on a weaker 386SX 25Mhz with 4MB of RAM. Sometimes I get the 3.5" disk in the right lower corner for about 20-30 seconds before resuming.

My first experience with the "registered" episodes was the SNES version, which has a soft spot because of the music renditions I grew to love.

I got a taste of Doom 2 in late 1994, I think version 1.666 or 1.7. I loved mucking with cheats but later did buy Ultimate Doom in 1995, which I still have the CD in a disc sleeve.

The first time I actually played it I was 10 I think. I started Doom 2 and I got stuck on Underhalls, I didn't know how to jump into the red key building and had to wait for my older brother to help me.
I still have the CDs of the Depths of Doom trilogy, though it's my that father bought them.

The very first time I played Doom was on my cousin's computer. He had the shareware version of it. I don't really remember too much except I remember the colors being really vivid, way more than Wolfenstein 3D, that's for sure. The sound effects for the demons growling and the imps gurgling or whatever were really memorable too.

The first time I actually owned Doom was on my 13th birthday. My dad bought me a copy of Doom 2 from Walmart. I played the hell out of it for weeks on end. It took me a few years until I discovered source ports and Doom modding.

First played 1995ish at a friend's house, Doom 2. Not sure about Doom 1. That might not have been until years later. My friend would idclev around and dazzle me, especially with icon of sin. The Spirit World was amazing.

I didn't properly own Doom until much later in steam. My parents were not fond of pixelated blood.

I first played Doom in 1993, sitting on my dad's lap and pressing the space bar to open doors for him. I was also his navigator for when he got lost. It's been a part of me ever since.

Back in '96 when I watched my older brother play through Knee-Deep in the Dead on his computer. He let me play and I was instantly hooked.

First time I got to own a copy of Doom was in '98 when my brother bought the PS1 version for me for Christmas.

Edited by Guest