Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

Quasar for Espi. I'm not sucking up to him. On second thought, I'm going to take back that vote and let the staff decide.

Can port features be nominated mentionated? I nominate mentionate ZScript (formally Doomscript) for the Mordeth award once it officially becomes implemented.

32in24-17 for multiplayer

CALLING THE SHOT NOW. FIGHT ME NOT ONLINE

Given the things stated by a few in the 2016 thread, I am nominating No end in sight as its release date was past the cut off for the 2016 awards.

It's been SO great that the No End In Sight team published their no doubt fantastic four-episode Monument of a megaWAD less than two weeks before December 10th. I would hate to dissuade anyone from releasing their Hell of sweet projects, but I love those celebratory anniversary publications because they remove any ambiguity for us, the people expected to play them. That said, if your pet project was DUMPed on us in November, don't let your hope sit Extinguished; I strongly suggest you nominate it the moment the next nominations thread is opened.

I think there's a secret message in here.

Lingyan203 said:

Phobos Mission Control by John Romero
Italo-Doom by Ribbiks and dannebubinga

Italo came out nearly a year ago. What's the cutoff date for 2017 nominations?

Apropos of nothing I just found this Youtube series where a very dedicated person has spent dozens and dozens of hours playing through all the old Cacoward winners in chronological order.

If it's release wasn't too early for the 2017 awards, I would like to throw my hat in for Bullet-Eye. It's a super-fun gameplay mod that makes DOOM feel even more arcade-y.

Linguica said:

Apropos of nothing I just found this Youtube series where a very dedicated person has spent dozens and dozens of hours playing through all the old Cacoward winners in chronological order.

dear god this is awful.

Why make a deal out of it. "Mentionating" is amusing and the plain fact of the matter is that is it makes zero practical difference whether you call it that or nominating.

+1 to Italo Doom, if that is eligible.

That thread is just here to provide the Cacowarders with a handy, centralized list of Things That Doomworld Forumgoers Thought Was Cool; that's all. Cacowards don't necessarily go to nominees (in fact I'm pretty sure there are counter-examples each year), so maybe not calling them nominees makes that clearer. The ugly neologism of mentionation (instead of, you know, mention) is just for humor, and I guess it helps conveying the idea the thread isn't a serious, pompous, official process.

bzzrak said:

Huh? What was the problem with nominating?

The word seems to bring up false expectations. A project got this many nominations and you guys snubbed it, how could you! There goes a lot of discussion behind the curtain and we're not deaf to vox populi, but in the end we decide according to our own feelings, not to check out an ordered list handed over to us.

A podcast discussion about the 2016 awards should happen in the near future and this might be a good debate topic, so I'll skip further explanations and ranting for now. Doomradio needs your clicks!

+1 for Inquisitor III

Finally another mod to match my own in the epic RPG department, complete with all the little side-stories and characters etc. that enhance the world. Not only that but for looking great and also fixing the huge gameplay flaws that existed in I/II.