Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Ancient Aliens - final version on idgames

does anyone have a recommendation for a sci-fi weapons addon (no extra gun/feature, skins and sounds only) that's actually any good and sort of suits the theme of this wad?
i loved the new arachnotrons and the plasma-wielding camouflage-grunts, so i think, for consistency's sake, it would be nice to have the rest of the demons "alienized" too.

Jon said:

"I managed that too, but it doesn't break the level, you can press use on the bars to drop them from the outside."

I did not realize this, instead performing my first glide, ever, of my dooming life.

While on the subject of map 11, the viewscreen in the UFO changing to correspond with the teleport destination is a neat little detail.

The plane that I just got off while travelling over the Pacific had cool neon light blue and pink lights inside and all I could think of was this mapset :)

I don't think I ever properly weighed in on this wad, this is probably one of the most visually pleasing Doom wads I've played in a very long time. I kept saying to myself "How the hell?!" when I saw an effect that I couldn't tell how you'd accomplished, and the ending is truly inspired.

Great looking wad, loving the style, I'm digging the neon shit lol.
If ever you fancy replacing anything else here's some of my work.

Turbokid said:

If ever you fancy replacing anything else here's some of my work.
-snip-

I don't think so Tim.â„¢

Ancient Aliens is completed and I haven't heard further updates are planned.

I can't pretend to speak for them but I think people are a bit annoyed that you have seemingly bumped this thread to pimp your artwork. Personally I don't think any of the stuff you've posted would fit the aesthetics of Ancient Aliens anyway.

Thanks for the offer, but Gez is right: Ancient Aliens is done :) Maybe someone else is working on a mod that needs neon magenta pistols though.

That's cool man, and as to the "pimp my artwork" comment made by another user, just for the record I was playing Ancient aliens as was looking for new shit to play on my gamepad, and as a designer was very impressed and really felt connected to the wad, artistically I felt inspired and maybe got a little excited and imagined the wad with new weapons and monsters, don't care if that sounds weird tbh. And say what you like the Tech Demon seems like it would really fit as an imp replacement. I don't mean to cause any shit here and besides this wad (the whole reason I joined here) I don't wish to make or contribute to Doom wads (afraid it confuses me too much lol) was just as I say very impressed with your work.

Turbokid said:

Am I supposed to get the reference?

Yes. It's a quote from "Home Improvement" with Tim Allen, repeated line whenever Tim makes a smart comment on Tool Time.

Sorry to go off topic, but anybody have any issues running this in GZDoom? MAP28 is a shit show and takes about 20 seconds to render once I enter the map. I'll get about 2FPS when the map loads up, and it'll eventually get back to 60fps. I have a GTX 970 and 16GB of RAM. Wtf

stru said:

Sorry to go off topic, but anybody have any issues running this in GZDoom? MAP28 is a shit show and takes about 20 seconds to render once I enter the map. I'll get about 2FPS when the map loads up, and it'll eventually get back to 60fps. I have a GTX 970 and 16GB of RAM. Wtf

Sounds like you playing with a gameplay mod.
I have a shitty quad-core 1.99 GHZ and 8 GB and no graphics card, and it runs smoothly.

stru said:

Hey buddy! You could try running in ZDoom. It doesn't look quite as snazzy as GZDoom, but at least with ZDoom I am able to run and record without any lag. I was getting some minor lag playing these later AA maps in GZDoom without recording.

You might also want to make sure that you don't have other resource-heavy apps running, clean out malware, etc.

The wolf's howling in the first map can be listened in ZDoom engines, but not in PrBoom+. I know this is a dumb request, but does anybody know why? Is there a way to make it sound?

ThePetitDwarf said:

The wolf's howling in the first map can be listened in ZDoom engines, but not in PrBoom+. I know this is a dumb request, but does anybody know why? Is there a way to make it sound?

Read the accompanying text file, especially Port Differences.

There's probably some convoluted way to make it work (at least for single player games) using DeHackEd and/or music changers in PrBoom but I couldn't be bothered to try figuring it out. It would have been hacky at best.

Its a great wad for the most part, very stylish look, and awesome level design. But the enemy placement is super annoying. Cyberdemon in the first level, cheap ambushes, etc. Along with a few times where I had limited ammo, all this on hurt me plenty. Those issues kinda prevent the mod from being a masterpiece, but if their was a sequel that fixed these issues then it definitely could.

Edit: It also has a kickass soundtrack.

HyperLuke said:

Cyberdemon in the first level, cheap ambushes, etc. Along with a few times where I had limited ammo, all this on hurt me plenty. Those issues kinda prevent the mod from being a masterpiece, but if their was a sequel that fixed these issues then it definitely could.

It's done that way deliberately. One person's issues are another's features, or something!

HyperLuke said:

Its a great wad for the most part, very stylish look, and awesome level design. But the enemy placement is super annoying. Cyberdemon in the first level, cheap ambushes, etc. Along with a few times where I had limited ammo, all this on hurt me plenty. Those issues kinda prevent the mod from being a masterpiece, but if their was a sequel that fixed these issues then it definitely could.

Edit: It also has a kickass soundtrack.

Swallow your pride and try HNTR. :)

As a reminder, AA started as an experiment on level design based on "turrets" -- monsters that you can't get rid of easily, so you've got to play through most of the level under their pressure. The cyberdemon in MAP01 is a perfect example of the concept: you don't have the firepower to bring it down, so you have to keep dodging its rockets whenever you're exposed to it, destroy the weaker (but more mobile) opposition, escape from various traps, and finally unlock the way to get rid of that pesky cyborg (through telefrag, in this case).

This is especially true for the first few levels. You've got to handle the pressure, it's part of the challenge.