Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Woolie Wool

Commander Keen replacement

Who thought of using Mewse's avatar as the replacement for the noosed Commander Keen and what is the joke that inspired the sprite artist use Mewse's fish avatar?

The sprite replacement was made to be a fish like mewse's because the original keen was a tongue-in-cheek tip of the hat to id software's older game, commander keen. In the same way, the fish is a tip of the hat to some of the people who have worked on freedoom, and in a larger sense the doomworld forum, which sort of adopted the fish idea.

And mewse has a fish because it was like a sort of form of identity amongst a group of friends which spiralled out of control a bit.

I'm working on Keen replacement sounds right... now.

EDIT: Done, the new sounds are excerts from the Post Hell music (I forget the name, but I hope and pray no-one holds the copyright)

Hissy would make a better "keen." It's more well-known and goes in line with the original idea of a cute thing in the middle of the game. It's true that Hissy already appears in skulltag, but so what. Also it's an indirect reference to DOOM.