Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Update 5 for Snapmap.

I unlurked to post up new info! New update for Doom, so Snapmap gets even more crud!

Multiplayer

Added new game mode, Infernal Run
Teams fight to obtain the ball and score in the opponent’s goal
Added Bots for multiplayer
Bots are available on original multiplayer maps in Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch game modes
Increased the maximum level cap to Echelon 11, level 50
Added the DOOM Marine Armor (Praetor Suit) as unlockable perk for achieving maximum multiplayer level cap
Resolved an issue where rapid controller input caused unusually high shotgun damage
SnapMap

You can now play as the DOOM Marine in Praetor Suit Armor
Added over 30 Lazarus Lab–themed modules
Added Lazarus Lab–themed props
Improved Object Limits
Persistent Integer variables that can be passed between missions within a campaign
Save and restore your health/armor/ammo/weapons/equipment/max weapon slots/inventory
Added the ability to Get and Set Score
You can now access the Leaderboard Score in the HUD
Added new (first-person view) Player Camera Entity
Added camera rumble FX and sounds
Added new player modifiers
Ledge grab time, power-up time, barrel damage, equipment cool down
Plasma weapon mastery
Additional single-player Interactables
New single-player styled Objective HUD
Added single-player Compass
General single-player consistency pass on HUD
Added more POI options
Show distance, show on compass
Updated victory and post-match summary screens
More interactable and customizable GUI
Added animated Echo Events
Added new FX/hazards
Added % encounter complete listener to encounters
Ability to remove AI from finished encounters and events
Ability to remove unspawned AI from the AIC
Added ability to turn off bobbing on pickups to place them however you want
Editor improvement to hide/show types of objects
Editor improvement to lock rotation when moving objects
Editor improvement to disable snapping of objects to the floor
Added armor Customizations and Taunts

Oh boy, seeing Doom Slayer dancing like a moron may not be something i want to see.

Also this update is 15 GBs big. Hope you have enough space.

Being able to carry over your weapons/items/health/etc throughout a campaign is great to see.

My number one request now would be some type of automap, but at least this update seemed to add a bunch of new UI features.

Great update! But has anyone noticed that snapmap semms much MUCH more unstable than before? (at least on ps4)
Logic the game used to run without problem now gives me "error in map logic" message.

Also, how do I carry my progress over a new map?

With the integers for 15 variables carried over a custom campaign, you could theoretically make Hexen-esque hub levels when combined with the aforementioned gear/status carryover.

RikohZX said:

With the integers for 15 variables carried over a custom campaign, you could theoretically make Hexen-esque hub levels when combined with the aforementioned gear/status carryover.

How do you carry over gear and health is thst done with the persistent integers?

Going to be nice to hear from the map makers around here how much the object limit is improved, glad they're trying to improve on things like that, oh and the moar moduels the better so I hope we can get even more before they inevitably stop updating snapmap

People keep complaining about file size on steam store though lol, kind of a shame I have to download new mp maps even though I don't own season pass but that was last one in this update for season pass

Lets just hope we get some more snapmap updates, IIRC they did say a year of free updates to snapmap and it's still just under 5 months away until May heh :p

Doktor Mandrake said:

kind of a shame I have to download new mp maps even though I don't own season pass

Everybody gets to play the DLC maps as long as a DLC owner is in the lobby, so that's why id Software is having every DOOM owner download the maps.

Doktor Mandrake said:

Going to be nice to hear from the map makers around here how much the object limit is improved, glad they're trying to improve on things like that, oh and the moar moduels the better so I hope we can get even more before they inevitably stop updating snapmap

People keep complaining about file size on steam store though lol, kind of a shame I have to download new mp maps even though I don't own season pass but that was last one in this update for season pass

Lets just hope we get some more snapmap updates, IIRC they did say a year of free updates to snapmap and it's still just under 5 months away until May heh :p

Good question, you see, I have a map that's been causing me trouble with every new update. After update 5, the problem stopped being the blocker, but rather the logic chains.

Snapmap can't seem to take more than 3 logic chains for eacb logic code placed on the game. Usually, the problems are the sound, powerups and anything considered fancy. Also, game freezes for a few seconds each tims you press a switch, but I've noticed that maps with too many blockers cause this problem =/

Surprised I've never encountered any kind of map logic error before, considering my scripting could best be described as "boolean spaghetti".

It's nice to be able to turn off pickup bobbing, makes both placing armor shards and in-plain-sight secrets way easier to do. Echo Events were an unexpected addition, and they make pretty good stand-ins for friendly NPCs I guess. I kind of wish you could turn off the hologram effect and just have them stand around as random dudes, though. I also swear they've improved the load times since I last used the editor.

Potatoguy said:

Oh boy, seeing Doom Slayer dancing like a moron may not be something i want to see.

This was something I had no idea I needed to see until it happened by mere chance right before my eyes.

Jaxxoon R said:

Surprised I've never encountered any kind of map logic error before, considering my scripting could best be described as "boolean spaghetti".

It's nice to be able to turn off pickup bobbing, makes both placing armor shards and in-plain-sight secrets way easier to do. Echo Events were an unexpected addition, and they make pretty good stand-ins for friendly NPCs I guess. I kind of wish you could turn off the hologram effect and just have them stand around as random dudes, though. I also swear they've improved the load times since I last used the editor.

This was something I had no idea I needed to see until it happened by mere chance right before my eyes.

You´re making me think all the problems I have come from the console itself (Ps4)
I get logic errors from the most simple tasks, such as "Switch on pressed - opens door with sound" then BAM! logic error for no reason.

I've yet to fully try the update on the PS4. I really really really hope it doesn't fuck up my Onslaught maps.

First thing i noticed is the object limit. I went from 99% object to FUCKING 53%. whatever they did with this update has changed the memory algorith IMMENSLY. Also decals has it's own percentage counter.

I can already see persistent intergers being the memory output to keeping consistent health/ammo/armor/whatever numbers from map to map. Maybe there's an easier way to do it than this?

I found Persistent Integers easy to use, but I STILL DIDN'T GET CROSS MAP TO WORK lol. But why is it already nice? Bear with me....

I can have 'Persistent Integer 0' renamed 'Shotgun Upgrades' and use Integer values 0 - 5 for the different upgrades: plain, triple shot, triple mastery, explosive shot and explosive mastery respectively. So any drones I use can set the value to the corresponding upgrade, and I even have a more advanced drone that can 'swap' between upgrades (by dropping plain shotgun and having a 'counter not reached' for one upgrade and a 'counter reset' for the reached upgrade).

The only problem is that I have campaign maps linked, sure, and I thought the renamed 'Persistent Integer 0' value would automatically carry over (Persistents are like slots that correspond between maps right?), I try to use a player proxy to check the number and reassign equip automatically upon spawn or match started, but either way it doesn't override the initial loadout (which I still want, for people who start playing games mid-campaign for whatever reason). Not sure whats wrong....

You have to use the same integer, renaming is just for your side. So if its pi 0 on one map it must be pi0 on the other.

Also give the loadout ON MAP STARTED. Then remove the weapon you want to swap out and give a new weapon with a 0.1 delay ON PLAYER SPAWNED.

It's important to drop the weapon first or the new one will just be on the floor. But most of all the loadout must be done once on map load so it doesn't override the new weapons you bring over

Aaaa ok. I had the PI concept right than, but as I suspected it was my method in the next map that needed work. I'll try out your suggestion next chance I get and it should function as intended. Thanks a bunch!!!! :)

Indeed, it's good to be organized PI wise. I'm using PI0, PI1, PI2 etc for different weapons while I descend from PI15, PI14 etc for health, armor, damage and ammo modifiers. Question is what's the best way to induce changes cross-level for Hexen style hubs? I'm thinking one PI with a decent Integer range, and certain things become open after certain values are exceeded. Perhaps a seperate PI for starts. I'll stick with the basics first tho, since I'm just making a linear-level campaign. :P

They also added Campaign Models option which lets you play as Doomslayer, and will play the death animations, falling animation (impact compensation) ... etc

Weapons upgrades are great, but honest-to goodness RUNE abilities that carry over are even better, utilizing the same persistent intiger system.

Rune Stones after all are a one-time use interactables only, that grant a 'Runic Ability' by triggering access to a color-coded horned skull (container)x opening an in-map platforming puzzle. Dig the names:

0 - no rune
1 - Waste makes Haste (near-death autoHaste, yellorange)
2 - The Flash (doubled player speed, yellowhite)
3 - Health Nut (near-death Regen, teal)
4 - Breaking the 4th (quad damage upon activating 'random' interactables / triggers, blue)
5 - Phoenix Rune (autoBerserk when at full health and armor)

Snapmap is seriously the best tool in modern gaming. I've seen the community grow from using simple modules to almost semi full scaled worlds. Thanks to everyone we will create its future here

Yeah, I periodically check YouTube to see what people are doing wit SnapMap and it's evolved so much in a few short months. It reminds me of how quickly people got over 1994 WAD syndrome and started making beautiful maps by the end of the 90s.

I also see they have added some new things like GUI and even computers that allow you to read story tests. AS well as voice communications you can edit. It's really cool and will make it much easier to create story missions.

EDIT: About this part:

"Save and restore your health/armor/ammo/weapons/equipment/max weapon slots/inventory"

What does that mean/how do I do that?

While all these updates are really cool, and truly the community maps are in growing quality, i've been really reluctant to launch snapmap.
I don't know how this is the case on the other platforms, but on Xbox One it takes forever to just load the game on snapmap mode, and with every update it seems the loading time just increases. I really wish snapmap was optimized for the next update...

DMPhobos said:

While all these updates are really cool, and truly the community maps are in growing quality, i've been really reluctant to launch snapmap.
I don't know how this is the case on the other platforms, but on Xbox One it takes forever to just load the game on snapmap mode, and with every update it seems the loading time just increases. I really wish snapmap was optimized for the next update...

Loading times are long for me on my PC, using standard HDD

But doesn't help I have to load main game, THEN load into snapmap but I managed to by-pass that by creating a shortcut to game and editing the target in shortcut so when I use it, loads straight into snapmap

Overall it's not TOO bad, its long, but tolerable.. Maybe about the same loading times as GTA V for me, about a minute maybe 2 mins

Seeing you talk about your xbox though, does make me wonder.. How many here are playing doom 2016 on PC? I only ask because on Steam people always rip on snapmap and say it's bad, basically just because it's not modding

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on PC who acctually thinks snapmap is really good, yes you can't create brand new assets like you can with modding but its a VERY capible tool especially with the last two updates we got

I find it odd in a way, people LOVED the campaign and keep asking about SP DLC. and at same time some of these people flat out refuse to use snapmap, which is a great way to continue playing campaign like experiences in the new doom

I'm having another go at SnapMap, this time with the possible idea of a new campaign using a mix of custom and pre-built rooms. The new campaign features and GUI screens are very welcome additions.

SnapMap still has its shortcomings, and will probably never be a full-on substitute for mods, but it's certainly come a long way since the initial release and I find it easier to use than any of the Doom 3 modding/editing tools. Looking around on YouTube it seems that the SnapMap community is starting to gather more interest.

ArchangelOfHell said:

Snapmap is seriously the best tool in modern gaming. I've seen the community grow from using simple modules to almost semi full scaled worlds. Thanks to everyone we will create its future here

Forge is far superior :P

DMGUYDZ64 said:

At least it can actually move things instead of making them just appear / disappear in an ugly way.

I was just thinking the other day... wouldn't it be cool if you could make things disappear/appear via a "dissolve" effect similar to the one used for disappearing body parts/gibs?

I was actually speaking generally about all other objects, Forge can make them move to any direction you want, allowing for more level gimmicks, actual elevators... etc, It would be also nice to have an option to gib demons instead of just damaging and killing it.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I was actually speaking generally about all other objects, Forge can make them move to any direction you want, allowing for more level gimmicks, actual elevators... etc, It would be also nice to have an option to gib demons instead of just damaging and killing it.

Oh yeah, I was talking about objects in general. You can "delete" them, but doing that just causes them to instantly vanish. It'd be cool if we could make them dissolve instead.