Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff chronicles #96 (100% unofficial!)

Because we're all missing newstuff, I've decided to have a go at creating an unofficial newstuff thread, similar to what Nightmare did a while ago. I'm even presenting it ahead of schedule! (well, it's close to midnight over here in the UK, but it's still Saturday night in the US). I've done my best to round up all the unreviewed wads from the past 2 or 3 weeks as well as the wads from this week, and I am presenting them all here, albeit without screenshots.

If you have any good or bad comments about my reviews, feel free to post them, as I'm in unknown territory here and I'm not sure what sort of reaction the reviews will get. But, I have made an effort with these, and I hope they're ok. (and I hope that I've not violated any forum rules by doing this)

So, without further ado, let's jump into the 7 wads and 14 maps:

Capslocked by Epyo - Released during a newstuff absence, this is a ZDoom mini-episode replacing maps 01-06 of DooM 2. Capslocked contains a host of quirky ZDoom tricks, including "gun turrets", "merry-go-rounds" and "floating platforms". The gameplay is actually quite challenging, with good ammo/health placement along with some big monsters, although the detail could have been improved. If you like ZDoom features and challenges, one of which is pretty special (ie. map 05), then this wad is worth playing. The best of Epyo's wads so far, requires ZDoom.

Mossvale Dungeons by Alex Parsons - Another wad that seemed to miss the newstuff chronicles, this wad is set in an underground complex consisting mostly of green stone, with one sp_rock cave area. The detail is good, and the gameplay is of the usual challenging standard, with quite a few traps in close-quarters and some tricky battles with basic weapons. If you like Alex's wads, then this one won't disappoint. Source port recommended.

The Catacombs by Alex Parsons - This wad starts out similar to the previous one, but soon turns into a DooM 2 map 22-inspired level, with good detail and very finely balanced health and ammo, with some tricky battles in the centre of the map. The final section is a familiar sp_rock outdoor area infested with imps, shotgunners and chaingunners. It's up to the usual AP standard, and worth playing. Source port recommended.

Alien 3 by Ismaele - After two wads that were slated, Ismaele definitely comes up with the goods this time. 4 maps, (replacing 14-15, 31-32), a Beretta pistol, a cool flamethrower, a tougher SS soldier, a much deadlier imp, new graphics, sprites and Boom features, including fake underwater sections! 3 of the maps are Outpost of Hell-style tech maps and one is a brown cave. The detail is good throughout, and the gameplay is fairly challenging, but can be quite linear, as a lot of the time the rooms are similar-looking and flat. Also, the Icon of Sin area is a little suspect. But this wad is well worth playing, especially if you like tech maps. Requires ZDoom.

Die1 by Cadman - This wad comprises mostly of DooM 1 graphics and creatures, but with a few DooM 2 creatures to keep things lively. Replacing map 04, this level has a Deimos feel to it, mainly due to the fact that it contains modern, industrial and gothic styles with a DooM 1 orientation. Ammo and health is balanced quite well, and the gameplay is fairly challenging, as you'll get caught out by shotgunners quite a bit. The detail isn't as intricate as today's wads, but that's because this wad is doom2.exe compatible and was first released in 1997, and the text file says that it was re-released with all bugs fixed but with the original feel and atmosphere intact. A good wad that's worth playing, especially if you like DooM 1-style maps in DooM 2.

Sentinel by Sphagne - A small-ish deathmatch map set on an island at night. The night sky greatly enhances the atmosphere, and you could easily get mistaken by thinking it's a single player map, as there's lots of monsters and even an exit! There are a number of small buildings, each with a different style, weapons are aplenty, and it's not meant to be played with jumping. Overall, a nice wad, even on single player!

Lock and Load v3.0 by pilottobombadier - A weapons-only mod that gives out 15 weapons, see text for details. Only works with Edge 1.24, so unfortunately I wasn't able to run it, as the only version I can find is 1.27 (and it crashes with that). So I'll have to let you give your own opinions on it. I know graphics-only wads are generally not dealt with here, but I thought I'd give it a mention, as it's a big project.

You can get EDGE 1.24 from the Lock and Load site. http://www.geocities.com/pilottobombadier/downloads.html

Lock and Load features 15 deadly weapons with upgrades for you to slaughter with. It looks and feels great and really gives you an edge on Ultra Violence. The weapons sound good, the DDF is excellent but when you put them in a wad it messes up, so you can just make a seperate dir or whatever for the DDF files. It is a must download for Immoral Conduct fans! The other versions are great as well.

BBG: Thanks, I didn't think to look there. I only looked on DW's source ports section and the official Edge site. I'll still check it out, but your review is fine.

(that's what happens when you decide to do this halfway through the day, as I played all of these wads today, except Alien 3 which I played last week)

BTW, I forgot to mention that all the wads are doom2.exe compatible unless otherwise stated. (but I tested them all with ZDoom)

The links are fixed, too. (if anyone noticed)

Sentinel by Sphagne:

Sentinel is a DM map for DOOM2 running on Map01. It's structure is sound (though I had to run it through zennode first to kill the OpenGl holes), if a bit bland. It definitely won't lag your computer though, and it all flows well for the most part. While looking on the automap you'll see the layout is not overly complicated, it wasn't predictable either. The text file basically said this map wasn't made for jumping and I agree. It makes the PlasmaGun that much harder to grab which is good because the building it's in is a campers paradise. While it's a very minor gripe, it would have been better to not have 3 cellpacks, a medkit, and a berserk pack all within a few steps of the PG, with only one small door to defend. While it's nothing spectacular, it's not bad either. NOTE: ACBot's don't like this level much. They get stuck in the exit biulding and spew out angry error messages until you go in and kill them.

The Catacombs by Alex Parsons:

This is a single player level for DOOM2, MAP01. Again I had to run it through zennode to kill the OGl holes, but I can live with that. :-p While playing through this level I found a bug in Legacy that makes the level unfinishable. At one point you need to shoot a door to get it to open and this linetype doesn't work with Legacy unless it's tagged to the door. So unless you edit the level yourself you'll have to use a different engine, and it played fine in ZDOOM. Play is good, ammo and health seemed evenly placed with nothing to excessive, all around a good level.

Alien3 by Ismaele:

This 4 level mod has potential but the "open door, clear room, open door, clear room, flip switch, repeat" action gets boring very quickly. I only made it through the first 2 levels before I couldn't take it any longer so my review is incomplete. :-p Some cool new stuff, but the maps are just sooooooo boooring. Oh, and it did seem to play fine with Legacy, you just need to be in software mode to see the colormaps.

:p

Ultimate DooMer said:

BTW, I forgot to mention that all the wads are doom2.exe compatible unless otherwise stated. (but I tested them all with ZDoom)

Possibly, or maybe they just don't use any boom or other special effects. Alex Parson's maps, for example, tend to give HOMs and VPOs on doom2. It's very tricky, since a couple of WADs a few weeks back were presented as v1.9 compatible by their authors but they had a bunch of VPOs. I'd suggest (to authors) to state what you tested your maps with, since there might be trouble running it with anything else.

* myk downloads stuff.

Whoa, Fantastic Job Ultimate DooMer!! Those were tremendous! awesome reviews...I gotta d/l sum of em and give em a try..thx fo da reviews Ultimate DooMer! :D

myk said:

Alex Parson's maps, for example, tend to give HOMs and VPOs on doom2.

As I thought... the TXT states that they don't run with standard doom2.

myk said:

As I thought... the TXT states that they don't run with standard doom2.

Although he puts that on all his text files. These wads were small and mostly made up of confined spaces that wouldn't cause visplane bugs. The only area that might is the sp_rock area in ap_009, but even that was fairly small and not detailed enough IMO. Anyway, I've taken note and edited the reviews.