Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
enderandrew

Command Control item/shells bug?

So I'm revisiting Doom for the first time since the DOS days. At the time I was a bit biased against Doom and never played past the Doom 1 shareware episode. I felt like Doom got all the attention and praise when Wolfenstein came out first, and I preferred to kill Nazis over demons.

I realize now that is a bit silly and that Doom is a huge part of gaming history. So I've got a source port. I bought the games on Steam. I even found a few mods to improve upon the vanilla experience (mainly visually) while preserving the feel.

I started my first play-through in decades and I'm going with UV. I'm playing the level once and finding what I can, reloading and using a guide for what I missed to try and get a 100% playthough. I found the secret level and now I'm on E1M4 Command Control. But for two days I've been scouring the level wondering why I can't find two items when I have 100% secrets. It has been driving me nuts. I search on Google and find:

Two shell pickups (Things 16 and 48) have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level.

Is it impossible to get 100% items on every level? Is it possible to patch the IWAD?

BTW, I'm playing with GZDOOM and this is the setup I'm going with for a nicer looking, but fairly vanilla experience:

[Global.Autoload]
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\lights.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\brightmaps.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\gz-qtilt.pk3

[doom.Autoload]
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\cosmdoom.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\pk_anim2.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\sndckpsx.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\JDUI_GZDoom_RePack_1-0.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\zdoom-dhtp-20161017.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\IDKFAv2.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\HD_smooth.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\Peters_Sexy_HUD.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\contrast3.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\droplets_v15.pk3

[doom.doom2.Autoload]
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\D2SPFX18.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\SkyboxesD2.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\JDUI_DoomII_Addon.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\mskins.wad

[doom.doom2.commercial.Autoload]

[doom.doom2.bfg.Autoload]

[doom.doom2.plutonia.Autoload]
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\SkyboxesPLUT.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\SBX_PLUT.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\JDUI_Plutonia_Addon.pk3

[doom.doom2.tnt.Autoload]
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\SkyboxesTNT.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\SBX_TNT.pk3
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\JDUI_TNT_Addon.pk3

[doom.doom1.Autoload]
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\D1SPFX18.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\SkyboxesD1.wad
Path=D:\Program Files (x86)\Zdoom\JDUI_UltimateDoom_Addon.pk3

The enemies look nice with this setup, but not like vanilla enemies. (I believe they're Doom 3 rips). I've also seen a few screenshots where people have really nice looking barrels that are either a 3D model or a high quality sprite but I haven't found where they come from.

http://imgur.com/a/P3dyO

Ammo, medkits, stimpacks, backpacks, radiation suits, and green/blue armor do not count in the item percentage. These items however, do:

- Health Bonuses
- Armor Bonuses
- Soulspheres
- Megaspheres
- Partial Invisibility Spheres
- Invulnerability Spheres
- Berserks
- Computer Area Maps
- Light Amplification Goggles

I watched a YouTube video and I had been in all the rooms and covered all the ground repeatedly. I went back to a previous save, re-ran the level and got 100% items. I'm not sure what happened.

Based on some experiments with DECORATE I did years ago, it might be possible that some of the mods you're using (or even an unfortunate combination of specific mods) could be screwing up the item counter, for example if it allowed item pickup things being destroyed/removed before being picked up, or change their PICKUP flag dynamically via A_ChangeFlag, which might not be a safe design.

VGA said:

Find a UV Max speedrun on Youtube and check out what he does :D

100% items isn't required for UV max, just kills and secrets.

It's worth noting that the item tally only counts items that have actually been spawned in the map, it doesn't count items that have not spawned due to not being flagged for the current difficulty level. And as Impboy4 said, ammo doesn't count toward the tally anyway.

I tried to only run mods that changed visuals and not gameplay, but now it looks like one of them is preventing me from beating episode one.

So I got to E1M8 which was a short level. I killed everything including the two Barons and nothing happened. So I read the wiki and watched some videos. The walls are supposed to lower the second both Barons are dead, but it simply isn't happening. All the Google results I found were on how Brutal Doom broke this, but I'm not running Brutal Doom.

I tried disabling all my mods and loading my save, but my save won't load unless I'm still running Cosmetic Doom and Droplets. Both have affected my save so I can't load without them now.

But even just running only those two, the walls don't drop when I kill the Barons. And the odd thing is that if I run my HUD mod, I only show 26 / 41 kills on UV with everything killed. If I turn on noclip I can get past the walls and there are no more monsters to kill anywhere on the level. Is there supposed to be a respawn of some monsters on UV that isn't working? I'm not sure why I'm only 26 / 41 kills with no other monsters on the level.

Stepping on the platform to end the episode doesn't work if the walls don't drop.

After I get home from work I'm going to start a new game running only Cosmetic Doom and a new game running only Droplets and try to isolate if it is one of those breaking the end. I'm also running a dev build of GZDOOM and I'm going to try and go back to the latest official release to see if that is the issue.

enderandrew said:

And the odd thing is that if I run my HUD mod, I only show 26 / 41 kills on UV with everything killed.
Stepping on the platform to end the episode doesn't work if the walls don't drop.

That platform takes you to a dark sector away from the main map where you're "killed," with the level ending when your health falls under 20. Make sure you turned noclip off after going through the walls or it won't trigger, but unfortunately I don't know why the walls aren't lowering.

As for 26/41, that exit sector contains 15 monsters, and it's virtually impossible to kill all of them. You can turn this off in (G)ZDoom by going to gameplay options and changing "End sector counts for kill %" to no. 26/41 is therefore widely accepted as having killed everything.

Combinebobnt said:

You have a crapton of autoloaded wads. You definitely need to inspect those first and see what they do; crack open slade3.

I tested all these individually and together. These are all just visual tweaks.

lights.pk3 - Distributed with GZDOOM for lighting.
brightmaps.pk3 - Distributed with GZDOOM for lighting.
z-qtilt.pk3 - Quake style weapon sway

cosmdoom.pk3 - Cosmetic doom
pk_anim2.wad - Perk's Smooth Animations
sndckpsx.pk3 - PSX Sound effects
JDUI_GZDoom_RePack_1-0.pk3 - JDUI for GZDOOM, just UI/HUD changes. I use this for nicer fonts, title screens, menus, etc. and then replace the HUD again below.
zdoom-dhtp-20161017.pk3 - Doom HD Texture PAck
IDKFAv2.wad - Music replacer
HD_smooth.pk3 - Doom 3 rips of enemies
Peters_Sexy_HUD.pk3 - Transparent scaling HUD with kill/item/secret counters.
contrast3.wad - Color palette
droplets_v15.pk3 - Blood droplets

D1SPFX18.wad - Doom Sprite Fixing Project
SkyboxesD1.wad - Skyboxes
JDUI_UltimateDoom_Addon.pk3 - UI/HUD

And as I said above, I disabled all of these (save for Droplets and Cosmetic Doom where it won't let me load my save game unless I still have these running) and still replicated the issue.

As you can see from the screenshot I posted above, I'm trying to preserve the Classic Doom look and gameplay, but polish it up a little.

enderandrew said:

As you can see from the screenshot I posted above, I'm trying to preserve the Classic Doom look and gameplay, but polish it up a little.

I don't think most people would agree with you on that. IMO it looks ridiculous :D

VGA said:

I don't think most people would agree with you on that. IMO it looks ridiculous :D

I disagree. Here is vanilla doom.

Notice how the dull grey clashes with the bright red and blue? The color palette is garish and the lighting appears washed out.

You get a better feel for the improvements when you see it in motion as well, as what I'm running looks better with the weapon sway, smooth animations, sprite fixes, etc.

I'm a big advocate of "play it how you like", but that's a far cry from what anyone here would call "mostly vanilla." Gameplay's unchanged, but visually, folks are going to disagree strongly with the label, as a heads-up.

Just be aware that autoloading a lot of mods, Bethesda-style, isn't really common in this community (despite the Doom franchise now being under that umbrella officially :P), and wads are rarely explicitly designed to work with one another. It's a "swim at your own risk" sort of thing -- gameplay changes may stomp on each other in non-obvious ways, and those high-res textures are going to look weird in any map which has custom textures, and there are oodles of those.

Regarding the E1M8 problem, it's likely a bug in either Droplets or Cosmetic Doom if it's still happening with those enabled. I'm not familiar with either mod, but some info on the issue: in order to trigger special actions on death (e.g. E1M8's walls lowering, E2M8/E3M8 end level, etc.), the monsters in question call a special function (A_BossDeath) when dying to let the engine know to (try to) do stuff. Seems to me that one mod or the other (or both?) redefined the Baron of Hell death sequence but failed to call the function. Just a guess though.

Xaser said:

Regarding the E1M8 problem, it's likely a bug in either Droplets or Cosmetic Doom if it's still happening with those enabled. I'm not familiar with either mod, but some info on the issue: in order to trigger special actions on death (e.g. E1M8's walls lowering, E2M8/E3M8 end level, etc.), the monsters in question call a special function (A_BossDeath) when dying to let the engine know to (try to) do stuff. Seems to me that one mod or the other (or both?) redefined the Baron of Hell death sequence but failed to call the function. Just a guess though.

Yeah, I'm going to have to test it more thoroughly when I get home and then pass on a bug report to those mod creators when I know more definitively.

It is a file to call a bunch of WADs at once like that on the command line. I may learn how to use SLADE to combine some of these into a single visual overhaul for personal use, but after I play through all the official levels and move into community made megawads and TCs, I may want to remove a couple of these if they will clash with how custom textures and sprites look alongside these changes. But in theory, the lighting stuff, the sound effect pack, the HUD, droplets, etc should work with any level pack.

enderandrew said:

http://www.flaterco.com/kb/DOOM/DOOM2_1.9.png
Notice how the dull grey clashes with the bright red and blue? The color palette is garish and the lighting appears washed out.

Hmm, have you tried changing gamma correction? (F11 by default I think) You can get something like this by turning it off completely. Much better color:

Megalyth said:

I wish I'd thought of this when I was making my DTWiD level.

Leave It Inâ„¢

What do you mean? Do you mean you thought of leveraging the hard coded aspect of lowering walls in a level named E1M8 when the Barons of Hell are dead?

Memfis said:

Hmm, have you tried changing gamma correction? (F11 by default I think) You can get something like this by turning it off completely. Much better color:

http://i.imgur.com/z106RHY.png

That does look much nicer!

I found the culprit:

HD_smooth.pk3 - Doom 3 rips of enemies

I can't remember where I found this one, but one of the files here must alter the death behavior of the Barons some how that breaks the end of E1M8.

Meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can learn how to combine some of the graphic assets from these and make myself a nice DoomHD.pk3 for personal use.

enderandrew said:

one of the files here must alter the death behavior of the Barons some how that breaks the end of E1M8.

http://i.imgur.com/2LoT1MJ.jpg

Probably "DECORATE.monsters". If the Baron had a redefined "Death" animation in there, and the animation didn't contain "A_BossDeath" function, that'd be the problem.

enderandrew said:

I started my first play-through in decades and I'm going with UV. I'm playing the level once and finding what I can, reloading and using a guide for what I missed to try and get a 100% playthough. I found the secret level and now I'm on E1M4 Command Control. But for two days I've been scouring the level wondering why I can't find two items when I have 100% secrets. It has been driving me nuts.

Since you use GZDoom, you have a lot of ways to find out what you're missing.

1. Automap cheat. You know, iddt iddt? It'll make small triangles appear for every thing. However, you can change the colors of these triangles. Give countitems a color different from the rest and you'll find easily where they are while panning around the map. Here's an example:

Spoiler

Here you can see that monsters are in red, items you can pick up are in blue, keys are key-shaped, and count items such as the berserk pack are purple.

2. Console command. The items console command will list everything in the level that can be picked up. The countitems console command does the same but only for items that count. It also gives you their coordinates. If you're desperate, you can use that with the warp console command to just get on top of the item you've missed.

Thanks! That is very useful information.

I found the bug in DECORATE.monsters which was literally just one bad line where A_BossDeath was missing for the Baron. I found a thread here on Doomworld for that mod and posted in that thread with my fix.