Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Games with a changing seasons mechanic?

The only one game I ever played which had changing seasons in it was Zelda Oracle of Seasons, but I have to wonder was there any other games with a seasons changing mechanic out there? It doesn't have to necessarily be controllable by the player.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon Black and White come to mind.

I also have vague recollections of others that are kind of on the tip of my brain.

Bully from Rockstar Games. But the change is predetermined based on the progress made by the player. It doesn't reflect a realistic calendar year.

AndrewB said:

Morrowind, but I don't think it had much (if any) effect on the weather.

Yeah, Morrowind like the later titles didn't actually have seasons, but they did have weather. I do recall Daggerfall having random snow on surfaces but nothing beyond that.

Arctangent said:

Animal Crossing

I had forgotten about that game having it, but I had only tried one of the games 7 or so years ago which is why I didn't remember it.

Not sure if smooth and real time transitions are necessary to count but the total war grand strategy series has seasons. I think Napolean total war and up has notable effects per season.

Avoozl said:

Yeah, Morrowind like the later titles didn't actually have seasons, but they did have weather. I do recall Daggerfall having random snow on surfaces but nothing beyond that.

Well, technically, the seasons change. You can tell this (at least in Morrowind, idr about the following sequels) when you go to sleep/rest, the different months progress, as well as the years. So while not "seasons", I guess, there's still a yearly cycle.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 goes through hot, cold, wet and dry periods depending on the time of year but it doesn't have any impact visually, just alters the guest's preferences for hot or cold beverages or whatever.

There was actually an early Minecraft mod that changed the season on a month-by-month basis. The season would change when you logged on.

Trees and scenery change according to season in Might and Magic 7 and 8 in some areas. Though 6 has a quest around the moon cycle as well as the solstice and equinox events (those games taught you things).

EDIT: eurgh, 4 edits. Never typing from my phone again.

Arctangent said:

Pokemon Black and White

A pity this mechanic wasn't carry onto the next two generations of Pokémon games, because I thought it was real innovative for a Nintendo game at the time...

Oh well.

Monster Hunter 2 for the PS2 had 3 seasons, hot, cold and breeding, which changed the quest list along with the day/night system, both day/night and seasons changed dynamically while outside quests.

MHFrontier which started as a pc port of MH2 without offline currently has 4 seasons.

Arena and Daggerfall dynamically changed their outside textures according to season and climate. There were also pretty cool weather effects, such as reflective puddles while it was raining.

Nowadays it's too complicated, modern games aren't capable to change a texture on handle reflections. You have to go back to the MS-DOS era to see such dazzling wizardry in play.

DaIcemann76 said:

In Secret of Mana there's a forest where the seasons change when you move to different areas.

"walk the seasons from spring to winter, spring again and you may enter"