Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else liked the original imp better?

hardcore_gamer said:

I just think it looked more demonic while the new version is too cartoonish for my taste. It looked darker and grittier.

Sometimes your opinions are just flat out weird.

new one is ok, I like the way it functions a bit more. The new one kinda looks like a satyr with no horns.

Nostalgia does funny things to people. Though that is a bit redundant to say while at this site. :D

The new one is a little too acrobatic for my tastes. Imps are tough but they're slow and stupid. Also the player death sequence is pretty brutal for such a simple throwaway monster that's used all the time.

The new Imp looks great to me, I would have liked to see the E3 Imp with the new one. Possibly appearing in Hell levels for the first time and later on. But this new one is ok.

The original '90s Imp with its spike nipples works well enough in ye olde pixelated VGA glory, but in HD it would look just plain moronic. As for the new game: The original eyeless "Lesser Hell Knight" Imp model presented in the E3 2015 video was fine, if a bit drab, but I'm ultimately glad they went with the Doom 64-inspired rework. The glowing eyes are just an essential part of the Imp's personality, in my opinion.

Agreed with Voros and TAPETRVE. The original Imp looks and works fine for the art and aesthetic style of the original game, and fits nicely with the movement of the other monsters and player character. I'm personally glad they seem to have taken a page from look of Doom 64 in certain aspects. Something that seems a bit cheesy and old can fit nicely with a modern game if re-imagined correctly. Also, post-Doom 3, it was inevitable that the Imp would be more acrobatic. After what they did with the Imp movement in D3, it would look slow and sluggish if they suddenly reverted to the old movement capabilities.

40oz said:

Imps *are tough but they're slow and stupid.

*were

*Due to 90s technological limitations.

The E3 imp looked great, but not distinctive. What it changed to is one of the more memorable designs of the monster roster. Their acrobatic behavior is great. I've got a real love/hate thing with how brutal a foe it can be. The imp received one of the better interpretations.

MrGlide said:

new one is ok, I like the way it functions a bit more. The new one kinda looks like a satyr with no horns.

It has horns on the side of its head

The new one looks a lot like the old one but it's thinner and has a different posture.

40oz said:

The new one is a little too acrobatic for my tastes. Imps are tough but they're slow and stupid. Also the player death sequence is pretty brutal for such a simple throwaway monster that's used all the time.

They're like the pawns from chess. Very dangerous under the right circumstances. In fact they are a bit too strong on higher difficulties. Slippery bastards for sure.

What, the original from the 1993? Or the initial version from 2015?

I don't mind the Imp, I think he looks fine. Really, if you want to complain about cartoony enemies, there are far worse offenders there. Like the freaking Pinky demon. Not only it looks, moves and sounds stupid but it also does not fit at all with the rest of the bestiary, like it's from a different game. Same with the Mastermind.

Recreating the original sprites 1:1 two decades later really isn't the best idea, id.

DooM_RO said:

The new one looks a lot like the old one but it's thinner and has a different posture.

They're like the pawns from chess. Very dangerous under the right circumstances. In fact they are a bit too strong on higher difficulties. Slippery bastards for sure.

Yea the imps are a bit too powerful on nightmare. 2 fireballs and you're dead. I have been killed more by them than any other monster.

Honestly liked the Doom 3 imp better than the Doom 2016 imp, and an updated original imp would have been still more preferable.

The new one feels to insect like for a start, and way too generic, I can't point to anything but it feels very "seen this before"

I kinda wish they added some little spikes on the new Imp as a callback to the old one. Not making a statement on which is better because the new Imp is awesome and certainly behaves far more like an impish creature than the old one did but those little spikes would have made it more iconic in my opinion.

E3 2015 imp looked too much like skinny Hell Knight. New one is kinda cartoony. I liked Doom 3 imp the best. Doom 3 also had better Pinkies, Lost Souls and Cyberdemon, just sayin.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

O ow..

I find rocket-propelled doll face with a mouth full of needle teeth genuinely more creepy than a stupid skull with horns.

Eh. If anything is generic, it's DOOM³'s grimdark mummyface Imp. If it wasn't for the lighting (or lack thereof), half the cast of monsters would look just plain pathetic. If the other half wasn't pretty damn awesome, we might not even remember the game existed in the first place.