Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

What's the stupidest censorship you've ever seen?

Arctangent said:

This may surprise you, but there're these things called slurs.

No but people shouldn't censor themselves cuz im white and im not offended by anything

mistercow said:

No but people shouldn't censor themselves cuz im white and im not offended by anything

Ya but surprise, there are actual people who do get legitimately offended(not SJWs). So who to accommodate for? In the end theres gonna be one group left unsatisfied.

tbh, using the n-word really depends on who you're talking to. some people are fine with it, others aren't. it's simple, why do you need to argue about it?

roadworx said:

tbh, using the n-word really depends on who you're talking to. some people are fine with it, others aren't. it's simple, why do you need to argue about it?

I agree. What surprises me is the fact that people get offended not by the word itself (which is what I would expect), they get offended depending on the color of the skin of the person saying the word. I mean, if somebody insults me in Spanish (like the classic "Chinga tu madre"), I'm going to get offended, and it doesn't matter if the person is white, black, blue, or green, I'm still going to be offended, but I am going to take offense by the word, not by that person's skin color. And if somebody says the phrase joking, or in a "funny" way, even if directed to me, I can be offended (maybe because I misunderstood or something) or not, but the color of the person talking to me is absolutely irrelevant.

I also understand that it is a racial slur (which to some may be why it is not said by "white" people), but I insist, what matters is the intention of the person saying the word, the color of the skin should be completely irrelevant.

But maybe it's my ignorance of the English language or the American culture speaking in my behalf. I promise this is my last post on the subject. I apologize if I offended anyone. Have a good day.

It's definitely the latter. It's because that word's been reclaimed, but only by the race that it was used against in the first place. The fact of the matter is, it's still a slur, and is used as such, but African Americans ( and other American minorities that have a shared history with them, such as Latino Americans ... not to be confused with Latin Americans ) have created a variation of it that can be used neutrally or even positively.

So we have what's basically a reverse "retard situation" - instead of a perfectly normal term becoming derogatory to the point where even proper use of it is being phased out because the slur is just that common, we have what's absolutely a slur being turned into something normal. It's just that it hasn't yet reached the point where the slur is archaic - and as part of the history and culture surrounding the word, it's just plain a faux pas for Caucasians to use it.

Sargon of Akkad said:

I thought we were talking about censorship, not racial "issues".

I can't believe nobody's ridden your ass for the scare quotes.

Well, to put it bluntly - On the flipside it's a pretty bad cover so you won't see it on the front page news but he likes to let go of his mind and basically drag it when surfing the internet high waves. He's almost the opposite of a think tank guy. Some Admin took action and *hits blunt* is a token response to that - now he has to tote it along with every post he makes.

It's because a mod set up the forum software to add it to all his posts 'cuz he kinda earned it. He can't actually see it either, which is hilarious.

Yeah, I kinda wish it was a bit different because I find blunts to be an incredible waste of marijuana and not very enjoyable compared to other methods of intake.

GoatLord said:

Yeah, I kinda wish it was a bit different because I find blunts to be an incredible waste of marijuana and not very enjoyable compared to other methods of intake.

Your annoyance just makes it even funnier.

TraceOfSpades said:

If you get offended by a sound, it's time to man the fuck up.

See, this kind of stuff is why guys end up so repressed.

Arctangent said:

See, this kind of stuff is why guys end up so repressed.

It's also why basic civility seems to be dead. The idea that being offended by ANYTHING is some sort of failing of emotional maturity (which socially-driven masculine repression of emotion is often confused for) inevitably leads to a situation where the only meaningful speech is insults. And often the biggest Feelings Nazis are the most fragile egos, which should surprise nobody.

dethtoll said:

It's also why basic civility seems to be dead. The idea that being offended by ANYTHING is some sort of failing of emotional maturity (which socially-driven masculine repression of emotion is often confused for) inevitably leads to a situation where the only meaningful speech is insults. And often the biggest Feelings Nazis are the most fragile egos, which should surprise nobody.

I read this four times and still don't understand what any of it means.

Gamer With Dignity said:

I read this four times and still don't understand what any of it means.

It was an attempt at making people who see taking offense to words as a negative trait out to actually be very sad individuals with fragile egos that need to act tough to maintain said facade; because the idea of not letting petty, intangible shit like words bother you is completely bonkers and must be covering up how they really feel.

See, the irony is, Tracey here has illuminated my point perfectly, just not in the way he thinks.

He said...while keeping it to himself.

Probably some babble about how if I didn't actually care, I would have ignored it.

It seems like any dialogue with you seems to inevitably lead to shit slinging. This is prbably overdue. I'm just going to add you to my ignore list. Cheers, man.

I already explained my point, cupcake. Try scrolling up a little. Just a bit. You can do it. I have faith in you.

TraceOfSpades said:

It seems like any dialogue with you seems to inevitably lead to shit slinging.

You know, for a guy who insists that words don't matter and getting offended by words is stupid, you sure have a pretty fragile ego and thin skin. Triggered, much?

"People shouldn't get upset about sounds. It's just noise from the mouth. It doesn't matter. If it matters to you, you are a whiny little baby. Now can you please let me use the word 'nigger' in public? It's hurting my emotional balance to be deprived of this."

TraceOfSpades said:

I'm just going to add you to my ignore list. Cheers, man.

Oh wow, Tracey got offended by sounds. This is so totally unexpected, folks!

Nope. I am just tired of the constant shit slinging whenever I post anything. It's never been constructive with him once. So now I will just ignore him.

Gez said:

"People shouldn't get upset about sounds. It's just noise from the mouth. It doesn't matter. If it matters to you, you are a whiny little baby. Now can you please let me use the word 'nigger' in public? It's hurting my emotional balance to be deprived of this."

People don't need permission to use a word. If someone wants to say something, they should just say it. If it bothers you, ignore them.

You haven't said the word once, you just keep pontificating how inoffensive it supposedly is. You keep dancing around the topic with your vague phrasing... go ahead and say it, you spineless craven. Take responsibility for what you preach. And then say it at work, nice and loud. Preferably in front of black people. It's their fault if they get offended right? Right? I dare you.

That's a very absurd request.

The majority of arguments here have been about how people are offended by it, so it shouldn't be used. Yet you want me to say it? I fail to see the logic in that.

Just because I don't think people should get offended over a word or sound doesn't mean that they don't; and it also doesn't mean that I want to go out of my way to offend people either. I might see it as a form of weakness, but I'm not going to actively try to offend as many people as I can just because I think they shouldn't be offended. That wouldn't accomplish anything.

I think people should just ignore what people say. That doesn't mean I feel a need to try and upset them because "they should ignore me." I'm not mean.

I wouldn't intentionally drop a waterproof phone into a swimming pool just because it's waterproof. Same concept.