Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What does the death sound during intermission mean?

Sometimes during the intermission you can hear a death sound playing. What does it mean? Happens at least in ZDaemon, not sure about other ports.

I'm pretty sure it replaces the 'weapon up' sound that plays in SP as it shows what map you're entering, I think this is vanilla behavior when in deathmatch mode but I'm not at my PC so I can't check at the moment. I'm curious too now.. I think most ports play the 'weapon up' sound even in FFA. As far as I've noticed, Zand removed the 'entering' bit and accompanying sound altogether, a very inconsequential change but still kind of odd.

There's a separate identical sound dssgcock I think that's used for starting a new map (I remember a wad that used a guitar riff for dssgcock and it didn't change the weaponup sound)

Not sure about the dspldeth on exit though. My first guess was maybe when you get the time "sucks" but I haven't gotten one of those in a while.

Doesn't it play when showing frags? Or player kills in coop. In that case it's fitting.

joe-ilya said:

It's probably a bug that happens when a player dies just as the intermission screen loads.

lol no.

printz said:

Doesn't it play when showing frags? Or player kills in coop. In that case it's fitting.

We have a winner. Co-op has 4 player stats; kills, items, secrets, and frags (teamkills). The frags count is unique in that is plays the player death sound when it finishes counting.
https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/blob/master/src/doom/wi_stuff.c#L1223-L1248

It'll crop up for suicides as well, or pretty much any situation where it thinks it needs to count that telly.

It is, however notable that when/why Zdaemon decides to count it isn't considered reliable, so we don't know if it's running off vanilla rules as nobody can look at its code (it's even still running tellies when it isn't even showing them, which couldn't rank any higher in the scale of pointlessness).

Thanks for the explanation! I always found it weird that ZDaemon played the chaingun 'counting' sound while not actually showing the percentages on screen between rounds.. I'm also curious why Zand doesn't show the 'entering' bit during intermission. They both seem so random. Inconsequential but strange!

Edward's explanation sounds very plausible, I'll try paying attention the next time I see someone killing themselves in coop.

I think it's kinda cool/satisfying to hear the chaingun even though you don't see anything. That BOOM at the end sounds like it's really celebrating the victory. :D

Memfis said:

Edward's explanation sounds very plausible

I'd like to point out I'm reading source code here. "Fact" would be vastly more accurate. You can't argue with source code, it is what it is. The only discrepancy would be if Zdaemon changed any of the rules for the original tally screen.