Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Do you consider Doomguy as a GOD??

Now, I'm asking this question to the REAL Doom fans out there. Of course, there are a shit ton of videogame fans who take their main characters as legendary dudes or gods.

Is it same for Doom as well? Do you guys just appreciate Doomguy, or do you consider him as a real God, and if you do, for what reason?

Doomguy is a guy who knows how to fight. That's why he is Doomguy. He's just good at what he does. Doesn't mean he's a god. Well, that fact does not apply when degreelessness mode is on.

Nah. To me, Doomguy is just a more-badass-than-usual space marine.

Of course he is not a god. He is just a guy. Coming back from hell after dying on E1M8's teleporter doesn't make him a god. Ya know, a soul is immortal.

Bow down and praise the holy demonslayer we are not worthy

Like most every player character in a video game, Doomguy has achieved CHIM. He is a God because he can savescum and cheat and make tool-assisted perfect runs.

bzzrak said:

I AM GOD

PEPE IS GOD

40oz said:

Bow down and praise the holy demonslayer we are not worthy

Holy demonslayer = Doomslayer
Badass marine = Doomguy

Doomslayer is probably another story.

Voros said:

PEPE IS GOD
Holy demonslayer = Doomslayer
Badass marine = Doomguy

Doomslayer is probably another story.

Meh, at least in my headcannon, Doomslayer = Doomguy, just thousands of years apart. It was pretty heavily implied in New Doom to be the case.

Also my "him being a demon" thing kinda has merit for classic Doomguy, as well as (obviously) Doomslayer. How else could you sprint around at Mach 5, carry 7 guns, use demonic powerups, and do all the amazing shit you can do in Doom 1 / 2?

Sick Bow said:

How else could you sprint around at Mach 5, carry 7 guns, use demonic powerups, and do all the amazing shit you can do in Doom 1 / 2?

by being a t-1000?

According to the 3rd Slayer Testament,

Spoiler

the seraphim bestowed upon him terrible power and speed.

I looked it up and seraphim actually means "an angelic being, regarded in traditional Christian angelology as belonging to the highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy, associated with light, ardor, and purity"

So, by Doom 2016 lore at least, he was granted power by God's highest order of angel to defeat the forces of Hell? Because that sounds pretty awesome

As a god, no, but as a legendary, yes, because, the Marine is manly, fights against evil, is fearless, has emotions(his pet rabbit Daisy), doesn't question anything, is a formidable combatent, has excellent knownledge on using weapons, tools, protection suits, armor and gadgets like the Light Amp. Goggles, is capable of defeating entities bigger than a human like the Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind, can withstand hell magic from hell's minions like Imps, Arch-Viles, Hell Knights, etc., can absorb powerups like the Soulsphere, Partial Invisibility and use them against Hell, is resourceful, being able to carry lots of ammo and much more, but that's about it.

There are only two gods in Doom:

1) The real mastermind (not a tangible monster) behind all invasion in all wads. You never get to reach it but it's there. Otherwise there would be no demons in Doom.
2) The benevolent god who places items and such goodies to help you survive.

It's really a binary thing here in Doom, and a perfect balance, like an yin-yang. Notice how all moving things (well, except multiplayer) belong to the evil god, whereas the stationary ones (let's exclude decorations as mere walls...) are good.

I'd love to see a mod where Doomguy betrays to be evil, or transcends to godhood. But I suppose that requires too much graphic skill.

printz said:

The real mastermind (not a tangible monster) behind all invasion in all wads. You never get to reach it but it's there. Otherwise there would be no demons in Doom.

john romero?

Sick Bow said:

Meh, at least in my headcannon, Doomslayer = Doomguy, just thousands of years apart. It was pretty heavily implied in New Doom to be the case.

I too believe this, but Doomguy was a regular marine who fought Hell to save mankind. Now thousands of years staying in another dimension, with Hell's and the Sentinel's influence over Doomguy, with different people and his own son's perversion by the demons, I don't think Doomguy fights hell to save people. Atleast not directly (by killling demons, he's indirectly saving people, but I don't think that's his goal in mind). Doomslayer is his new name, for he is a new man with a fresh outlook on things. He is just plain pissed at the demons and people who think involving demons is a good idea.

I'm just saying that Doomslayer and Doomguy are probably so different from each other now, that they can be considered as two different people.

Classic Doom? Merely a very tough mortal being.

DOOM 2016? Demigod or at least an extremely tough humanoid.

Yes. I worship doomguy as a god I think he was a real guy, and the Doom games are based on a real story about his ascension to godhood. And that part of his spirit inhabits every physical and digital copy of Doom. I also read the Doom bible cover to cover everyday.

I think the Doomguy is more a product of the fandom than a character created by the developers of the game.

Back in the day, at least for me, there was no such thing as a Doomguy, just you (the player) and Doom (the game).

Doom Guy is a nobody, a generic meat shell steered by a consciousness...yours.

Any godliness of the Doom Guy is really that of the player...so, we are all gods?