Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White

Question Concerning File Sizes

I need a little bit of guidance concerning my project. Everything seems to be coming along fine, except I've had this annoying thought continually running through my head. It concerns file size.

Right now I'm using the Q2 texture palette (12 MB), the sound effects from PSX Doom (1 MB) and the 'atmosphere' music from PSX Doom (first map/5 MB). My first thought was to release my project in four parts, each part representing an episode. However, I'm not sure the Q2 textures will fully illustrate the atmosphere for the third and fourth episodes, so I'll probably use a different texture set when it comes to those episodes.

Should I just limit myself to the textures I really need and cut back on variety? I'm estimating that each episode will probably end up being roughly 30 MB if I continue with my original plan of action and I believe people would probably be annoyed at the thought of having to download 120 MB or so... Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Black/White

Well, the size limit on the 3d archives is 50 meg, but I'd imagine that most of us wouldn't be too keen on downloading such a huge amount. Those with broadband might try it, but people with 56k would almost certainly avoid it. (unless someone else downloaded it and gave it to them on a cd or something)

The only thing I can suggest is cutting back on everything you don't need (eg. textures that are rarely or never used) and see how much space this saves. The size of the maps themselves shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if they're all huge (say, 2000+ sectors), it could make a big difference. If map size is a problem, I suggest keeping to around 1000-1200 sectors, sacrificing very fine detail and unimportant areas in order to keep the mechanism (inc. scripts if any) intact, and replacing several small units of ammo with one big unit of ammo etc.

The file sizes you quote, are these the sizes before or after compression? You may find they're nowhere near as large once you've zipped them up (If I remember correctly, nullspace was around 2.5Meg but compressed down to around 700k).

My attitude tends to be to create the level YOU want to create, and not to let file size worries stifle your creativity. If certain people don't want to download a large file due to size then it's their loss. Maybe, if your level is good and word gets arounds, they might change their opinion and make the effort to download it anyway. Of course, this may all be irrelevent if you have restrictive file size limitations imposed on you by your website host.

Yes- The PSX music tracks are in MP3 format. I am not aware of any other way to implement them. I suppose not using them could be an option. However, I believe that would be uncompromising with the direction I want my project to take.

Map size is not a problem. At least not at this point in time. It may be in the future if I decide to use a few of my maps I've created awhile ago. I was thinking about it but the file size issue popped up again and now I've been put between a 'rock and a hard place' (if you will) with those particular maps.

I suppose I could limit the textures. Even while using the entire Q2 texture palette I have been frustrated with the lack of certain things such as; Poly-object doors that open in the middle either vertically or horizontally, support textures, "demonic" textures, etc.
I am still contemplating what to do with that dilema.

I suppose you are right Mr. Pearson, (Hello- by the way), but I do not want to subject anyone to having to download a wad of such immense file size and later complain to me how crappy they thought it was. I really am in the dark towards what people will think of my level design and this is really a first for me.

Would 3D Archives allow a project to be released in four parts? So technically I would be using the limit- 50 MBs for each part but I'd actually be using more? I suppose that isn't really an issue right now. I appreciate all those who have bothered to respond. Thank you for your time.

Black/White

Offer the music separately, this has been done before by megawad designers. In your case it makes even more sense than usual, even if you don't put you WAD in the Archive.

There shouldn't be any problem uploading it as four seperate parts. After all, thats four seperate files that I assume can be played independantly of each other.

Oh, and myk is correct. It probably is a good idea to offer the music in a seperate file. This was done with QDoom and other notable releases.

Yes- I suppose that seems to be the only alternative. Does anyone know of Midi files that are more 'atmosphere music' than actual music? I am looking for an affect similar to the PSX Doom/Final Doom or Quake I music files. I am not aware of Midi files like that, otherwise I'd probably be using those instead.

I will get rid of all the unnecessary textures. That should save a few MB(s) or so. Thank you again for all your input. I am very appreciative of it.

Black/White

fraggle said:

Is the music in MP3 or some non-MIDI digital format? If so, 3darchives will reject it.

Ehrm, I downloaded one of Virgil's maps from 3darchives that had a MOD soundtrack. It was called Seraphim or something similar.

Yeah, The Lost Seraphim if I recall correctly. Post Mortem Experiment also had a .mod soundtrack, although I'm not sure if it's on the archives or not. AFAIK the archives ban is only on MP3 not .MOD and such.

I don't think there's any problem with posting wads with mod files in. I've downloaded several maps from the archives that have mods in. Or maybe they just slipped through the net.

White said:

I suppose you are right Mr. Pearson, (Hello- by the way)

Please stop calling me Mr.Pearson, you sound like my bank manager. Russell will do just fine ;-)